Cowboys AND BEARS just showed why I keep saying Defense MATTERS still

Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

Funny thing about our defense is we're a player or two away before we enter that elite echelon. We're really good now but a shutdown corner opposite of Tre White and we'd go into Seattle Seahawks territory from their SB era. Wouldn't mind another EDGE behind Lorax. Someone who can play SLB and DE.

Personally I think they can use that more than the 2nd shutdown corner.  Add a better rush and whoever is your #2 corner all of a sudden looks better.

Last Night reminded me of the Bills against the Cowboys in the Super Bowls. The Bills came in with an offense that was scoring at will but then they ran up against the Cowboys who were younger, tougher and faster. Last night was the very definition of ‘flying to the ball’. Very impressive.

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And who lost game?  And who would be advancing in the playoffs and who would be going home if this was a playoff game?

PS:  14 of last 20 SB champions had a defensive HC.  The top two scoring offenses in NFL history both had defensive Head Coaches.  

I dont think anyone’s arguing that defense literally can’t win a game so this thread is kind of like your drunk uncle posting a picture of snow to refute climate change.

also, in the playoffs, this game would’ve been in New Orleans.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, mattynh said:

Who ever said defense did not matter?  Retry much no one.   But it does not change the fact the number one piece is your QB.  That matters more.  One game doesn’t prove anything.  

One game? A zillion examples noted here. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Hopefully we get a Saints vs. Cowboys match-up in the playoffs. That might tell us more, but I think the Saints will put a beat down in a re-match. Drew over Prescott and Sean Payton over Jason Garrett any day. If the Cowboys were to repeat last night's performance, I would be surprised. Rod Marinelli does deserve a ton of credit for the defensive performance this year.  

• Like (+1) 2

Great thread, and good dig into the championship stats to help back it up. However, it is undeniable that D's overall have a lot of work to do to catch back up with the O's in terms of strategies to maximize the ways that are (legally) left in the NFL rule book to counter all of the ways that the NFL has affirmatively tried to rig the deck. The ones that can figure it out (arguably our own Bills are getting there) at least give themselves a chance, paired with a decent offense, to counter the Running Rebels of UNLV types out there. But small point as to the Saints last night, it is almost impossible to run the table in the NFL no matter how good your team is or record setting on O, and they were due for another stumble through self-inflicted errors to take only their 2nd loss this year. Chances are that they will bounce back and put up 45 in the next game. Personally can't wait to see what we can do with the shiny new offensive toys McBeane are working on bringing in for next year, while keeping this potentially monster D's nucleus in place along the way. 

• Like (+1) 3

Every time a prolific offense comes along, the doomsayers pronounce the end of defense. Yet somehow, defense manages to survive.

I remember talking heads burying defense when Kurt Warner had a hot hand with the St Louis Rams.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

while keeping this potentially monster D's nucleus in place along the way. 

From a yardage perspective, we're #1 in the league against the pass and #2 in total defense. 

PPG is poor, but I think that's more reflective of terrible offensive play that doesn't allow us to control the time of procession. 

It just doesn't matter as much as it used to. A top 5 offense is worth substantially more than a top 5 defense, and you should build your team accordingly. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Well, if it was a playoff game it would have been in NO and quite likely a different result.  Cowboys d looked very good, but it was one game.  Let’s keep perspective.  

Exactly.  

Love how these defense first people lay in the woodwork and appear at times like this.  I was an anomaly not the norm.

3 hours ago, fansince88 said:

That sounds familiar. Not so much the last few games

Yeah because Michael Thomas drops so many passes...dude might have the highest catch percentage in NFL history for a WR...

And Brees probably has the highest conpletion percentage in NFL history...so so many drops.

Edited by matter2003