Cowboys AND BEARS just showed why I keep saying Defense MATTERS still

Alphadawg7

So you are saying the Bills should be able to easily beat

The Rams

The Chiefs

The Saints

The Colts (Oh wait)

This team is a superbowl contender as it stands then.

Build that defense in the draft next year guys, last nights game proved you can win without offense. 

1 minute ago, vorpma said:

Damn straight they did, helped along by a tough and hitting Dallas Defense!

Or they just had an off night on the road on a Thursday, like every road team seems to have on Thursdays.

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And who lost game?  And who would be advancing in the playoffs and who would be going home if this was a playoff game?

PS:  14 of last 20 SB champions had a defensive HC.  The top two scoring offenses in NFL history both had defensive Head Coaches.  

But it wasn't.

2 hours ago, Charlottebillsfan2 said:

Unless you have a top tier QB in the NFL your best chance to win games is build a dominate D and have a running game. 

But at least a dozen teams have a top tier QB every year

2 hours ago, Charlottebillsfan2 said:

Unless you have a top tier QB in the NFL your best chance to win games is build a dominate D and have a running game. 

and be average-good for about 3 years and hopefully you get lucky.

Then you have to start paying the players on defense and then that defense starts to fade.

See:
Denver

Seattle

Jacksonville

Etc etc

3 hours ago, H2o said:

Defensive minded teams do win championships as well as offensive minded. The Bucs, the Ravens, the Steelers (everyone forgets how good those defenses were for Ben), and the Giants. You don't have to score 35-42 points a game to win a Lombardi in this league. A top tier defense and a consistent, albeit not prolific, offense CAN get the job done. 

The last two superbowl winners did indeed have to score that many points to win the game.

Defence still matters.

But if I were to bet right now, a high scoring offence wins the super bowl this year in a shootout. 

Saints, Rams, Chiefs, Pats, or Steelers.

If Chiefs or Pats and/or Rams or Saints make it, which there is a descent chance that can happen, it isn't going to be 13-10 in the superbowl lol

Edited by billsfan11

2 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Elite teams have off games. 

Thursday on the road? Yeah, the Saints hit the snooze button. 

This was not an example of anything. Saints will drop a 40 burger on the Bucs next week and we'll forget all about this. 

Thursday night football is a lousy product. I’d be interested to see how road teams have fared overall since it started. I suspect it’s really bad if not downright embarrassing.

I also think its worth noting:

Cowboys I believe have a top 3 defence, maybe even top 2 and they are 7-5 on the season.

Saints I believe have a top 2 offence, maybe even first, and they are 10-2 on the season.

The game was also played In Dallas on a short week.

Taking nothing away from Dallas as they fully deserved to win.

But If these two teams were to play again in the playoffs in which the game would be in New Orleans, I would bet the Saints would handle them easily.

1 hour ago, CountDorkula said:

So you are saying the Bills should be able to easily beat

The Rams

The Chiefs

The Saints

The Colts (Oh wait)

This team is a superbowl contender as it stands then.

Build that defense in the draft next year guys, last nights game proved you can win without offense. 

Or they just had an off night on the road on a Thursday, like every road team seems to have on Thursdays.

Pure speculation, facts are they got the butts beat by a pretty good defense; that's what happened that's the fact! Watch the rerun on NFL network!

1 minute ago, vorpma said:

Pure speculation, facts are they got the butts beat by a pretty good defense; that's what happened that's the fact! Watch the rerun on NFL network!

Ok. So in your opinion, are the Cowboys going to go on the road in the playoffs and beat New Orleans in New Orleans?

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I dont think anyone’s arguing that defense literally can’t win a game so this thread is kind of like your drunk uncle posting a picture of snow to refute climate change.

also, in the playoffs, this game would’ve been in New Orleans.

Huh?  I mean there are people all over this board literally whining weekly about how we can’t win this way, McD needs to be fired because he isn’t an offensive coordinator previously, that Beane needs to be fired too because they addressed needs on D, proclaiming you defense is a waste and the only way to win now because game has changed is to pass for a ton of yards only. 

So no disrespect, but there are hoards of people here and threads whining constantly about this.  

Need to stop looking back 20 years just changes made in the last 3 throw into question whether defense first is sustainable. 

There will always big individual games like that. But its not the trend. And even last night several questionable calls, poor challenges, and a missed helmet to helmet call, literally the biggest rule change in the offenses favor, were needed for them to squeak out a win

10 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

Need to stop looking back 20 years just changes made in the last 3 throw into question whether defense first is sustainable. 

There will always big individual games like that. But its not the trend. And even last night several questionable calls, poor challenges, and a missed helmet to helmet call, literally the biggest rule change in the offenses favor, were needed for them to squeak out a win

Didn't watch a second of it.

This upset win by a decent home team changes none of my views of the game since 1983.

8 hours ago, mattynh said:

Who ever said defense did not matter?  Retry much no one.   But it does not change the fact the number one piece is your QB.  That matters more.  One game doesn’t prove anything.  

You haven’t been paying attention.  Board has been unbearable about this all season.  People ha e constantly argued that offense is the ONLY thing that matters and we are doomed because McD comes from defensive background.  

Its quieted a little in a 2 game win streak where we put up 65 points, but all season the board was flooded with threads and freak outs.  Had several people constantly arguing to me that “game has changed” and we can’t win without a Chiefs/Rams/Saints offense.

12 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Most Superbowl winners that have a great offense have to have at least a mediocre defense.  Most Superbowl winners that have a great defense have to have at least a mediocre offense.  They also have to be well coached (lack of penalties, solid special teams).   The Chiefs and Rams need to improve defensively or they'll lose to more rounded teams like the Saints and Steelers.  Even the Chargers or Seahawks could make some noise.  Screw the Patriots.

Great post, agree with this.  Hard to win it if one side isn’t at least mediocre.  Even that Dilfer led Ravens team had a stud playmaker in Shannon at TE and a 2000 yard rusher in Lewis.

Then you see Pats last year pass for 500 yards and lose because the D was so bad it let a journeyman QB light them up.

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You haven’t been paying attention.  Board has been unbearable about this all season.  People ha e constantly argued that offense is the ONLY thing that matters and we are doomed because McD comes from defensive background.  

Its quieted a little in a 2 game win streak where we put up 65 points, but all season the board was flooded with threads and freak outs.  Had several people constantly arguing to me that “game has changed” and we can’t win with a Chiefs/Rams/Saints offense.

Offense matters about 1000% more than defense.

You need an offense that can score in this league consistently. If you don't, your maybe a .500 club, maybe

I love how you bang this drum about people saying that offense is what you need the build, and the second a team has an off night you beat your defense matters drum, like it is any different. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Elite teams have off games. 

Thursday on the road? Yeah, the Saints hit the snooze button. 

This was not an example of anything. Saints will drop a 40 burger on the Bucs next week and we'll forget all about this. 

We could drop 40 on the Bucs. 

Bucs won’t be in playoffs.

Dallas will.