Cowboys AND BEARS just showed why I keep saying Defense MATTERS still

Alphadawg7

UPDATE:  Bears just showed it again who just whooped the Rams.

I Cowboys and their top 5 defense just shut down and beat the hottest team with the most efficient and best offense in football led by the MVP front runner and one of the best QBs of all time.  

Everyone keeps saying “game has changed”, “you must have offensive minded coach”, “you gotta throw for 300 yards most games”...blah blah blah.  Same crap people have said every year for 10 years.  Yet the two highest scoring offenses in NFL history combined to score 22 points in their SB losses to defensive teams.   Last year Brady threw for 500 yards and lost to a journeyman QB because the Pats D was so bad.  In fact, none of the top 5 highest scoring offenses in history won the SB, and only 3 reached it going 0-3 and all losing to defensive teams.

There are a lot of ways to win.  And come playoff time, defense matters a lot.  I love offense as much as anyone, don’t get me wrong, but just tired of all the absurd hot takes around here every time a high scoring game happens people crap on McD like he has no chance to succeed.  Like this weeks ridiculous thread on how our biggest mistake was not hiring Frank Reich.  Or all the threads on now we have to fire McD and hire some other offensive HC.  It’s ridiculous.

Personally, I love the way McD and Beane are building this team.  Built the D into a real strength, cleared our cap, and got a promising young QB to build around.  Plus they got extra picks this draft too.

Couple OL and WR additions and we will be on our way to being a team that could really contend for a long time.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 15
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 13

While I am not so optimistic that McBeane can get it all done. I do agree with you and have been honking the defensive and running game horn for a long time now. 

Im not doing the leg work to find out but if you look at the last 20+ super bowl winners, the team with the better defense wins an incredibly high %. I’m not saying those defenses are great. Some were. Some were not. But in general, the team with the stronger defense and stronger running game wins the majority by far. 

You pointed out the Pats in their crazy offensive years. Beat by wildcard Giants teams that had the better defense. 

How about the Steelers beating the Kurt Warner led Cards. 

The Seahags that won 1 and should have won 2 if Carroll would have just ran it 3 times from the 2 yard line. 

I could go on and on. It’s really pretty obvious tho when you look at it. 

Like you said, so many people want to make an argument that the game has changed and it’s a passing league now. The same argument could be made for defenses that can stop those high powered offenses. Which is why the strong running game always comes into play too. Have to get the other teams offense off the field, and then keep them off with the running game and TOP. 

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Couple things:

1. Cowboys (strong D) are 7-5. Saints (strong O) are 10-2.

2. Jason Garrett is an offensive-minded HC.

And who lost game?  And who would be advancing in the playoffs and who would be going home if this was a playoff game?

PS:  14 of last 20 SB champions had a defensive HC.  The top two scoring offenses in NFL history both had defensive Head Coaches.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

Most Superbowl winners that have a great offense have to have at least a mediocre defense.  Most Superbowl winners that have a great defense have to have at least a mediocre offense.  They also have to be well coached (lack of penalties, solid special teams).   The Chiefs and Rams need to improve defensively or they'll lose to more rounded teams like the Saints and Steelers.  Even the Chargers or Seahawks could make some noise.  Screw the Patriots.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

And the running game

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Cowboys and their top 5 defense just shut down and beat the hottest team with the most efficient and best offense in football led by the MVP front runner and one of the best QBs of all time.  

Everyone keeps saying “game has changed”, “you must have offensive minded coach”, “you gotta throw for 300 yards most games”...blah blah blah.  Same crap people have said every year for 10 years.  Yet the two highest scoring offenses in NFL history combined to score 22 points in their SB losses to defensive teams.   Last year Brady threw for 500 yards and lost to a journeyman QB because the Pats D was so bad.  In fact, none of the top 5 highest scoring offenses in history won the SB, and only 3 reached it going 0-3 and all losing to defensive teams.

There are a lot of ways to win.  And come playoff time, defense matters a lot.  I love offense as much as anyone, don’t get me wrong, but just tired of all the absurd hot takes around here every time a high scoring game happens people crap on McD like he has no chance to succeed.  Like this weeks ridiculous thread on how our biggest mistake was not hiring Frank Reich.  Or all the threads on now we have to fire McD and hire some other offensive HC.  It’s ridiculous.

Personally, I love the way McD and Beane are building this team.  Built the D into a real strength, cleared our cap, and got a promising young QB to build around.  Plus they got extra picks this draft too.

Couple OL and WR additions and we will be on our way to being a team that could really contend for a long time.

Preach !!!

couldn't agree more, McD's  plan  is sustainable and l believe will win us Championships.

3 hours ago, mrags said:

While I am not so optimistic that McBeane can get it all done. I do agree with you and have been honking the defensive and running game horn for a long time now. 

Im not doing the leg work to find out but if you look at the last 20+ super bowl winners, the team with the better defense wins an incredibly high %. I’m not saying those defenses are great. Some were. Some were not. But in general, the team with the stronger defense and stronger running game wins the majority by far. 

You pointed out the Pats in their crazy offensive years. Beat by wildcard Giants teams that had the better defense. 

How about the Steelers beating the Kurt Warner led Cards. 

The Seahags that won 1 and should have won 2 if Carroll would have just ran it 3 times from the 2 yard line. 

I could go on and on. It’s really pretty obvious tho when you look at it. 

Like you said, so many people want to make an argument that the game has changed and it’s a passing league now. The same argument could be made for defenses that can stop those high powered offenses. Which is why the strong running game always comes into play too. Have to get the other teams offense off the field, and then keep them off with the running game and TOP. 

Also people see all this offense in college and no defense (talking to you Big 12) and think this is the future but its Alabama that is usually on top.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

you know what matters more?

Brees missing every other throw

NO receivers dropping passes

lots of flags

Brees was missing throws because the pocket was  crashing in on him constantly.  Smith and VanderEsche were flying around hitting everything that moved.... hard... 

they attacked the whole game instead of sitting back hoping to cover the field while Drew dissects them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And who lost game?  And who would be advancing in the playoffs and who would be going home if this was a playoff game?

PS:  14 of last 20 SB champions had a defensive HC.  The top two scoring offenses in NFL history both had defensive Head Coaches.  

Well, if it was a playoff game it would have been in NO and quite likely a different result.  Cowboys d looked very good, but it was one game.  Let’s keep perspective.  

• Like (+1) 2

The Cowboys D was lights out last night. Best game I have seen a defense play all year. Drew didn't have his best game, was hurt by a few key drops - but the takeaway from that game was if you can bottle up Ingram and Kamara and make the Saints one dimensional while doubling Thomas the rest of their pass catchers can't beat you. Easier said than done. Byron Jones is having a hell of a year at corner for Dallas and he played outstandingly well last night and they are suddenly deep and talented on the defensive line. And Leighton Van Der Esch and Jaylon Smith may be the most talented linebacker tandem in the National Football League at the moment. Just shows what the Bills could have if Edmunds can improve his fundamentals and take a step forward next year, because having two linebackers who can run, hit and cover doesn't half make your defense a tough one to scheme against.

• Like (+1) 1

To be fair, what we should of learned from that game is a superior team effort can win any game. A team first culture. 

The offensive schemes are all the rage right now but these guys haven’t won anything. And in Andy Reid’s case has shown his teams generally fail in the big games. 

The offensive minds are running the regular season and putting up all the flashy stats, but they haven’t won anything yet. Come playoff time you gotta be able to win games like last night too. Have to be able to run the ball and play competitive defense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It’s good to be different in the NFL. Buffalo has a different makeup than the rest of the league and I’m curious to see what Beane and McDermott have planned for next year. I think the reason a great defense beats a great offense is because a great defense can scheme and shut down pieces of the offense in a way that the offense hasn’t seen all year. Meanwhile the individual defenders are each doing basically the same thing they do every week.

• Like (+1) 1

Defensive minded teams do win championships as well as offensive minded. The Bucs, the Ravens, the Steelers (everyone forgets how good those defenses were for Ben), and the Giants. You don't have to score 35-42 points a game to win a Lombardi in this league. A top tier defense and a consistent, albeit not prolific, offense CAN get the job done. 

• Thank you (+1) 1