Cowboys AND BEARS just showed why I keep saying Defense MATTERS still

Alphadawg7

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What?  So now every game of every week has to be the same as every game the previous week otherwise it means the NFL is manipulating games for Parody?  Come on...you cant really believe this stuff?  So its all offense one week then NFL intervenes to slow it down next week...then intervenes again the week after to raise scores, and so on and so on?  

Real question...why do you watch sports then?  Because no sport can be legit, its all a big lie if what you just said is true.

If the NFL carried about competitive balance, it wouldn't be a discussion.

Millions of people watch the WWF, when they know it's fixed, same with the NFL. It's still entertaining & half of the entertainment is figuring out how the refs will influence the game.

Ratings & narratives, i don't understand why this is so hard

8 hours ago, mannc said:

Well, if it was a playoff game it would have been in NO and quite likely a different result.  Cowboys d looked very good, but it was one game.  Let’s keep perspective.  

Perspective? On this board.  People practically fall over themselves to pronounce something or link to "breaking news."  It's less discussion now as much as it is people looking to get attention to their own threads, click bait, or LAMPs. 

5 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Great thread, and good dig into the championship stats to help back it up. However, it is undeniable that D's overall have a lot of work to do to catch back up with the O's in terms of strategies to maximize the ways that are (legally) left in the NFL rule book to counter all of the ways that the NFL has affirmatively tried to rig the deck. The ones that can figure it out (arguably our own Bills are getting there) at least give themselves a chance, paired with a decent offense, to counter the Running Rebels of UNLV types out there. But small point as to the Saints last night, it is almost impossible to run the table in the NFL no matter how good your team is or record setting on O, and they were due for another stumble through self-inflicted errors to take only their 2nd loss this year. Chances are that they will bounce back and put up 45 in the next game. Personally can't wait to see what we can do with the shiny new offensive toys McBeane are working on bringing in for next year, while keeping this potentially monster D's nucleus in place along the way. 

Defenses aren't going to catch up because the rules have so fundamentally changed over the past 20 years.  RTP and PI is called so much differently now that it's hard to see a tough defense dominating. And even then, how many teams can feature a top defense for say, 5 years running? Not even the Seahawks could keep their group together.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Fox was always a defensive minded coach; he didn't run the offense. BB made a concerted, years-long effort to understand the offensive side of the ball and be able to game plan the offense in an innovative way. He is as good an offensive coach as he is a defensive coach. I also think that he's so smart that he got bored with simply focusing on defense and gave himself a new challenge. I would never say that about Fox.

BB not only changed, but he was two steps ahead in personnel acquisition.  In one off-season he picked up Randy Moss and Welker (2007) after NE was beaten in the '06 AFC Championship. Then, 3 years later he drafts 2 TE's that presented huge match-up problems. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Millions of people watch the WWF, when they know it's fixed, same with the NFL. It's still entertaining & half of the entertainment is figuring out how the refs will influence the game.

Because its so unrealistic.  WWE gets away with it because they dont pretend its not decided and scripted.  NFL would collapse the second this was a reality and a $100 Billion Dollar Corporation would crumble.  

I mean you have now decided that if every game isnt all high scoring or if every game isnt all low scoring, that literally means its because the NFL is manipulating them.  When ironically, it would be the exact opposite.  If every single game was exactly the same every single week then that would be a strong indicator there is manipulation because thats impossible.  

But somehow you came up with a narrative that the evidence of manipulation is that the games are all different.   

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Ok, but you typed the opposite ("can't") in your post.

Sorry, my bad, typo.  I will go back and edit.  

PS:  "Can't" wasn't the typo..."with" was...meant to say "without".  Fixed it, thanks for pointing it out.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, row_33 said:

no way you watch the NFL the same as pro wrestling

I don’t, but there are such things as lookalike audiences.

The difference between NFL & WWF, is football is not completely fixed, the refs are just instructed to influence the game, it is possible for a team to overcome & a game that is not going to be called in their favor. 

Edited by uticaclub

59 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I actually dislike high scoring games. I preferred last nights game over the chiefs rams game. So please don’t tell me what I like and don’t like.

The FACT is in 2018 an elite offence is way more valuable than an elite defence. Don’t believe me? Look at the top 4 teams in the league right now. If you want to bet the field against those 4 teams (Rams , Chiefs, Saints, Pats) you will most likely lose your money. 

If you are going back 30 years to determine that defence is more important than offence, I really don’t know what to tell you. 1988 football to 2018 football is night and day. 

Time will tell; I apologize for assuming you enjoyed the high scoring events! As far as betting the "field," but who I wager on depends on far more than offensive explosiveness. However, I will keep these top four teams in mind as we approach January, but I still firmly believe Defense wins Rings!

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

I don’t, but there are such things as lookalike audiences.

The difference between NFL & WWF, is football is not completely fixed, the refs are just instructed to influence the game, it is possible for a team to overcome & a game that is not going to be called in their favor. 

refs react to the game as it unfolds

the better teams simply plays the game better

and wins more often

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Time will tell; I apologize for assuming you enjoyed the high scoring events! As far as betting the "field," but who I wager on depends on far more than offensive explosiveness. However, I will keep these top four teams in mind as we approach January, but I still firmly believe Defense wins Rings!

Fair enough sir. We shall see. I actually hope you’re right. I prefer defence over offence

15 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Cowboys and their top 5 defense just shut down and beat the hottest team with the most efficient and best offense in football led by the MVP front runner and one of the best QBs of all time.  

Everyone keeps saying “game has changed”, “you must have offensive minded coach”, “you gotta throw for 300 yards most games”...blah blah blah.  Same crap people have said every year for 10 years.  Yet the two highest scoring offenses in NFL history combined to score 22 points in their SB losses to defensive teams.   Last year Brady threw for 500 yards and lost to a journeyman QB because the Pats D was so bad.  In fact, none of the top 5 highest scoring offenses in history won the SB, and only 3 reached it going 0-3 and all losing to defensive teams.

There are a lot of ways to win.  And come playoff time, defense matters a lot.  I love offense as much as anyone, don’t get me wrong, but just tired of all the absurd hot takes around here every time a high scoring game happens people crap on McD like he has no chance to succeed.  Like this weeks ridiculous thread on how our biggest mistake was not hiring Frank Reich.  Or all the threads on now we have to fire McD and hire some other offensive HC.  It’s ridiculous.

Personally, I love the way McD and Beane are building this team.  Built the D into a real strength, cleared our cap, and got a promising young QB to build around.  Plus they got extra picks this draft too.

Couple OL and WR additions and we will be on our way to being a team that could really contend for a long time.

Umm the Saints O line for whatever reason couldn’t stop any pressure from coming up the middle, and Breese had a terrible game.  Oh and weird thing is.. the Saints D our performed the Cowboys D.. but still lost

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

Pro wrestling is theater. 

Pro football is drama.

There’s a difference.

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Yeah because Michael Thomas drops so many passes...dude might have the highest catch percentage in NFL history for a WR...

And Brees probably has the highest conpletion percentage in NFL history...so so many drops.

Hey, take it easy buddy. I was agreeing that drops suck. Not that MT drops all his passes.

10 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Brees was missing throws because the pocket was  crashing in on him constantly.  Smith and VanderEsche were flying around hitting everything that moved.... hard... 

they attacked the whole game instead of sitting back hoping to cover the field while Drew dissects them. 

They did a great job bottling up kamara and just... crushing him consistently when he cut up field.  I was honestly concerned he wouldnt make it out of that game.

55 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Umm the Saints O line for whatever reason couldn’t stop any pressure from coming up the middle, and Breese had a terrible game.  Oh and weird thing is.. the Saints D our performed the Cowboys D.. but still lost

They stopped the run really well, put them in tough down and distances all game.  They also did a great job just sticking to their receivers in man, and not letting kamara and ingram hurt them in the passing game.

every game is fixed

except when my team wins

-------------------------

t'was raised to accept that if my team (that i played on) lost it was my own fault and to learn and try harder next time

and to never never ever blame the refs

grateful for this

• Haha (+1) 1

Last night was an anomaly.  If saints play cowboys ten times on a neutral field the saints win 9 games.  It requires a near perfect effort to dominate an NFL game defensively today.  I think the referees had a bad game last night . The helmet to helmet on Alvin Kamara comes to mind.  Dallas' recipe for competing for a world championship is not sustainable imho 

Edited by Finkle Is Einhorn

20 minutes ago, Finkle Is Einhorn said:

Last night was an anomaly.  If saints play cowboys ten times on a neutral field the saints win 9 games.  It requires a near perfect effort to dominate an NFL game today.  I think the referees had a bad game last night . The helmet to helmet on Kareem Hunt comes to mind.  Dallas' recipe for competing for a world championship is not sustainable imho 

it was an upset, whoop dee doo, doesn't mean the entire ethos of the NFL has turned in one evening

Thursday games are brutal, too much too soon

Bears got stuck with Sunday night and Thursday afternoon games the prior week