Bills QB Josh Allen is changing skeptical minds. ---- Brady Quinn apparently prefers potential over results

I was not on the Allen bandwagon at all the night of the draft. I quickly came around in the preseason. I believe he has all the tools to be successful, but my biggest concern is just that he keeps his confidence. It looked like that was eroding from the Packers game through to the time of his injury. In the Jags game it seemed to be back. If he can just hold it together mentally through the trials and tribulations of the NFL QB learning curve he’ll be a star. Anyone nitpicking the Jags game has no appreciation for how awful his supporting cast is on offense. We put up 3 against them in the playoffs last year with a good OL.

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

He had like 2 poor throws the whole damn game....the rest were either completiojns, throw aways, dropped passes, or called back because of penalties.

Don’t forget the Hail Mary 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Uh.  Cam Newton ring a bell?

Russel Wilson? 

So you think that neither of them throws a good short game, well, ok, if you think so.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Who is overreacting? Sounds like you are the one overreacting to nothing.

The media's overreacting.  Many here are raving about a very mediocre passing game with an abysmal short game.

If you get out of this forum you'd see it.  Just Google Allen.

1 hour ago, Johnnycage46 said:

But here's the thing...you can't play the "take the such and such away". If you do that you have to reverse ALL things (penalties that negated good throws, drops, etc).

OK, so in your view 2 or 3 good passes on the day is good.  There seems to be a lot of that going around, I get it.  Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

12 minutes ago, TaskersGhost said:

So you think that neither of them throws a good short game, well, ok, if you think so.

The media's overreacting.  Many here are raving about a very mediocre passing game with an abysmal short game.

If you get out of this forum you'd see it.  Just Google Allen.

OK, so in your view 2 or 3 good passes on the day is good.  There seems to be a lot of that going around, I get it.  Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

So which QB did you want in this past draft?  You seem to have an agenda.  You seem angry that Allen played well and the Bills won.  I am just not seeing where you are coming from.

Is winning not enough?  You sound like Schopp.  Just because our QB doesn't have 70% completion and 400 yards with 4 TDs doesnt mean we as fans shouldn't be happy with what we all saw from Allen on Sunday.  Try to just enjoy it and not be so angry.

Edited by Johnnycage46
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Uh.  Cam Newton ring a bell?

Russel Wilson? 

BTW, you highly overrate Newton as a passer.  His career numbers are purely average.   If that's all we get from Allen as a passer after trading up to get him it will be disappointing.  His postseason play leaves a whole lot to be desired.

1 minute ago, TaskersGhost said:

BTW, you highly overrate Newton as a passer.  His career numbers are purely average.   If that's all we get from Allen as a passer after trading up to get him it will be disappointing.  His postseason play leaves a whole lot to be desired.

League MVP is super overrated lol

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

So which QB did you want in this past draft?  You seem to have an agenda.  You seem angry that Allen played well and the Bills won.  I am just not seeing where you are coming from.

Is winning not enough?  You sound like Schopp.  Just because our QB doesn't have 70% completion and 400 yards with 4 TDs doesnt mean we as fans shouldn't be happy with what we all saw from Allen on Sunday.  Try to just enjoy it and not be so angry.

Really?

Re-read my posts.

It's quite simple, pretty much my singular take is that Allen's short-medium game will end up determining how good he is, just like it does with EVERY QB, particularly franchise QB.

Not really all that complex, is it.

Related to that I merely pointed out the FACT that his short-medium game this past week was far from average much less stellar.  Again, pretty reasonable.

Not sure I see any reason why so many of you seem to take this personally.

Edited by TaskersGhost

1 minute ago, TaskersGhost said:

Really?

Re-read my posts.

It's quite simple, pretty much my singular take is that Allen's short-medium game will end up determining how good he is, just like it does with EVERY QB, particularly franchise QB.

Not really all that complex, is it.

I disagree.  I think his medium passing accuracy is very good.  His short game is very fixable.

Not really all that complex, is it?

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I don't get how these people think.  Of course we're happy that Allen had an overall good game and showed flashes of brilliance.  None of us are saying carve his bust for the HOF but with a rookie QB as raw as Allen in which the Bills used a #7 pick we want to see him succeed?  Right? 

We know that Allen is likely to have a couple of rough games over these final 5 weeks.  That goes with the territory.  But games like the one against Jacksonville remind us of why the Bills took this guy as high as they did.  If it works out with Allen the Bills are back in the mix and we can expect yearly playoff runs.  If he's a bust, as some of these folks seem to be wishing for, we're back to ground zero and face another lost decade. 

You ask if we all want him to succeed.  Sadly, no.   There are some who would rather see him fail so they can anonymously brag on a web site about how smart they were when they said it was a bad draft pick.  

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

All true. He had 2 legit bad throws out of 19. The rest were either caught or catchable. And 8 of his 11 runs were necessary to avoid the rush. Give this kid upgraded OL and WRs and his numbers will only go up....

I was going to say that national media just don't "get" this kid but then again neither do many of the local media either. The haters like to point to statistics that paint a negative picture of him because they fit their narratives. For instance, both Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Ben Roethlisberger that I know of have had games this year where they had 20 or more incompleted passes. I guess all those incompletions were the receivers fault or maybe the coaches or maybe the wind or temperature but certainly not bad mechanics or poor decision making or "all THOSE negatives!

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Eventually he'll throw more, instead of running so much. He's not even done with his first year, so...

Gotta be patient.

Cam Newton and Josh Allen are somewhat similar in size and running ability. Newton has been a scoring machine both running and throwing the football carrying the power forward style QB play to a whole new level in the NFL IMO. This is something McD witnessed 1st hand and I would not be surprised to see Daboll give Allen the green light to run on any given play.

I get where your coming from,  Allen has a good head on his shoulders and the biggest cannon in the league.  Myself personally though, I'm expecting Josh Allen to use all the gifts the football gods gave him and along with McD's D , take us where no Bills fan has gone before.

MERCY LeGOATski!!!

Edited by Figster

8 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Yahoo Sports article 

Bills QB Josh Allen is changing some skeptical minds

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bills-qb-josh-allen-changing-skeptical-minds-215422581.html

While all his negatives were on display in Sunday’s win, his strengths — athleticism/size and strong arm — were too, and I’ve gotta tell you … I kinda like Allen now.

Except for a few throws he was accurate, which to me is the most important part of Allen's game that needed work because he has everything else.

Oh no, not the slow eyes !!! Doomed :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

I can't say if he'll pan out our not but I can say he's fun to watch, everytime he leads the offence on the field I have a child like excitement of what I could be about to see.

A few miserable posters who are now locked in to the narrative they have been pushing so hard are definately not going to change that.

At least if he does kill it they can change their name and act as if they knew all along.

Edited by downunderbill
Spelling
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Accuracy issues are overblown. That's the biggest thing I've noticed. More can be done to improve Allen's completion % through game planning. Think about all the big throws he's made, he just needs more 1yd dump offs to our RBs and he's a 60% passer. I think once he understands the dink and dunk game he'll be a 65% passer. Most QBs struggle in the areas Allen is good at. In the areas Allen is weak at, most QBs have no problem with. Simple, just check down more, let your skill players get some YAC.

I find it no coincidence that Cam Newton has completed 69% of his throws this year. Cam is a career 59% passer. But when you have a RB that can catch 75 1yd balls and get 7-10YAC your numbers go through the roof. Look at how Drew Brees' is completing 75% of his passes, once again he has Alvin Kamara catching 75 1yd passes for 1st downs.

Edited by NewDayBills
  • Like (+1) 5

The guy showed two throws that were not out in front of the receiver, that would have been completions for a decent gain had the ball placement been spot on. That being said, it was 2 throws. I'd be willing to bet that if we broke down the game film of every QB in the league, EVERY starting QB in the NFL has a couple of these a game (except for Rivers last week.... DAMN). But when you were on the "Allen's accuracy sucks" train, then you're going to see what you want to see.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Saratoga Leo said:

It would be interesting if the people responding to this topic actually read the article and watched the video. Too many "The writer probably looked at the completion percentage without watching the whole game and thought he was throwing inaccurately and making poor decisions." or I didn't read the article but.....

The writer actually had high praise for Josh - ability to handle pressure, running ability including breaking tackles, arm strength.

For areas to work on here is what he wrote " But he’s not a perfect player, and I cover that in the video, too. My biggest concern with Allen are his slow eyes and accuracy. I have no idea if either will get better. While some say both can be improved significantly with reps and tweaking of fundamentals, there are others who say it’s easier said than done."

Back in training camp and even prior to the draft his accuracy better when he was working with that QB guru.  Then the regular season starts and he reverts back, what happened, likely panic.  As he gains experience as they say, "the game will slow down for him"  Once that happens think the accuracy will improve some.  Will he become Drew Brees or Brady accurate, not likely, but his arm strength size, speed, and athleticism makes up for some of that too and maybe he become s a top 15 top of guy.  Put a good defense out there with him and you can win and go pretty far without a top 5 QB.

12 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

Ya I know. He played a very good game. Not sure what the writer meant when he said “All his negatives were on display”. Doesn’t make sense to me

Yeah me either. Was honestly trying to remember what hes bad play was?

Stood in the pocket took hits and delivered accurate balls, ran over defenders. No turnovers

What was the negative?

9 hours ago, TaskersGhost said:

So 2 deep throws for 107 yards, one by a nothing WR on garbage coverage, 6 of 17 for 53 yards otherwise is a testimony to accuracy?

Well, ok.  If you say so.

He may be great down the road, but there's an enormous overreaction to this past game of his. 

Take away his rushing yards and there's no chance in H ell that we're even in this game, even against the Jag's pathetic offense.

The last time I checked franchise QB play wasn't predicated on a QB running the ball.  If it is then why'd we ditch Taylor. 

Because he wouldnt have attempted that deep ball to foster. He would taken the sack

Missed opportunities is the Tyrod Taylor story

• Like (+1) 1