Bills QB Josh Allen is changing skeptical minds. ---- Brady Quinn apparently prefers potential over results

37 minutes ago, Doc said:

He won't be a high completion % QB...if his receivers keep dropping his passes. 

Again, he’s not the only qb who deals with drops.  Why has he struggled with accuracy since high school?  All of his receivers just sucked.

a reason why Brady is so accurate is because he throws a very catchable football.  Allen has a cannon but touch is a huge part of being a great qb.  You don’t always need to fire a fastball. 

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They can address those issues on defense while addressing the issues on offense at the same time, IMO. 

Oh I believe that they can as well; I'm saying that if they felt that they didn't want to go overboard and could only commit to certain improvements, then I'm fine "neglecting" pass rusher and other defensive polishing if it means addressing gaping holes in the offensive talent.

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Oh I believe that they can as well; I'm saying that if they felt that they didn't want to go overboard and could only commit to certain improvements, then I'm fine "neglecting" pass rusher and other defensive polishing if it means addressing gaping holes in the offensive talent.

It would be a shame if this regime can’t figure out how to do both. I’m surprised you’d be fine with that kind of approach. 

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Again, he’s not the only qb who deals with drops.  Why has he struggled with accuracy since high school?  All of his receivers just sucked.

a reason why Brady is so accurate is because he throws a very catchable football.  Allen has a cannon but touch is a huge part of being a great qb.  You don’t always need to fire a fastball. 

Not really concerned with other QBs.  All I can comment on is the poor play from his supporting cast.  Taken in the context of him being a raw rookie QB with not even 10 games under his belt. 

18 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

If you listened to Allen's press conference; he's not looking to run.  Just a by product of him going through his progressions, no one open (his perception), and his internal clock and defensive rush coming to.  He said if he runs for 100 or runs for 2, he just wants to win.  People want him to quit running, but why?  If that is what the defense gives him, what is wrong with a 25 yard scamper and slide?  Baffles me when you have a QB who can create more time and space with his legs if needed and people want him to stop.  As his passing improves, man talking about one of the greatest dual threat QBs to come around.  Some of his hardest hits came on sacks where three players absolutely crushed him.

It's not that simple.  You can't conflate taking hits in the pocket with those on a run.  The former occur for multiple reasons (coverage, pass pro breakdown, not making reads, internal clock) but the latter happen when someone elects to leave the pocket.  Whatever the case, he can't take the hits he's been taken.   

Dual threat QBs don't work in the NFL.  Defenders are too fast and will prevent even the fleetest one to run free.  Besides, NFL defenses adjust, although that may take an off-season to see enough film to engineer a plan to stop them. 

It's a guarantee that if Allen runs 10+ times a game he's going to get knocked around more than if he stood in the pocket and delivered.  That said, I know he'll run less and have hopes those attempts will decrease as he becomes more familiar with the NFL game.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Agreed on all accounts.  As much as I'd like to see the team take the next step on defense by adding a premium pass rusher, CB2, and depth at LB, I'd be just fine if they spent the vast majority of their cap room and their premium draft picks on offense.

It's indisputable that the Bills need to improve the OL. Few will argue over something so blatantly obvious. But the market for free agent linemen is going to be challenging. There are a number of teams with Jacksonville most prominent and a host of others who will be vying for linemen and bidding up the price. My sense is that we will have to use both the draft and free agency to upgrade the line. 

As I said in the prior post the main focus of the offseason should be putting the young qb we invested in to be in the best position to succeed. First and foremost that is upgrading our OL. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Agreed on all accounts.  As much as I'd like to see the team take the next step on defense by adding a premium pass rusher, CB2, and depth at LB, I'd be just fine if they spent the vast majority of their cap room and their premium draft picks on offense.

Agreed. Something to note is that McDermott can clearly coach up an average defensive unit so that they're good enough, and the talent level is already pretty good to the point where it'll be solid next year even if they add no one. The issue is offense, offense, offense.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I don't think it's his inaccurate passing as much as it is he's more comfortable running the ball than pulling the trigger on certain passes. The passing games extremely fast for him right now, he's making up for it with his athleticism.

Very possible.  

We all are aware of the WR corps and lack of superstars.  

Progression is what we need to see.  And I think I’ve seen it.  

(Sure he still makes rookie mistakes- he’s a rookie). 

As for 2019.   The D has s solid 

Get a real #1 WR followed by 

Oline, RB, TE (or 2) 

Fix the offense then fill in tbe d with depth 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Every time I write up a mock draft in my mind...I always work my way back to Jonah the OT

Drafting him fixes more then one problem on our offensive line and if we could just

Consistantly give Josh time

Run the friggen ball

I feel like we win a lot of these games we are losing.

He’s had time !!!  (The TT excuse) 

because hes scrambled so much in the backfield he’s had 3.3 seconds to make a pass.  Longest time in the NFL. 

Iirc 3.3 correctly 

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

He’s had time !!!  (The TT excuse) 

because hes scrambled so much in the backfield he’s had 3.3 seconds to make a pass.  Longest time in the NFL. 

Iirc 3.3 correctly 

As you suggest, 3.3 seconds due to scrambling ability is different from 3 seconds due to a superior line. Qb standing relatively comfortable behind a superior line presumably in a better position to scan the field and make better decisions. Folks who continue to lament Allen's throw to Clay in the endzone seem to forget the Houdini act to even be in a position to make that throw.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 11/29/2018 at 6:57 PM, ShadyBillsFan said:

Yahoo Sports article 

Bills QB Josh Allen is changing some skeptical minds

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bills-qb-josh-allen-changing-skeptical-minds-215422581.html

While all his negatives were on display in Sunday’s win, his strengths — athleticism/size and strong arm — were too, and I’ve gotta tell you … I kinda like Allen now.

The biggest thing to me is his confidence and poise.  He has zero time, yet he never looks panicked.  He has a good command of the huddle and it genuinely looks like he's having fun.  I think he's going to develop into an exciting comeback player when he's down in games, and he's going to play well with the lead.  He has to stay healthy though, he's taken a lot of hits - but seems to be able to shrug those off like Big Ben in Pittsburgh.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/12/2018 at 1:37 PM, cashdude said:

I wonder if it is because you are a condescending douche bag?

Or, maybe, just maybe, name calling is the bigger Dbag move?

On 12/12/2018 at 4:20 PM, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Pretty sure nobody cares what you're tired of...are you special or something?

You cared enough to reply. Just sayin.

Settle down gentlemen.

On 12/12/2018 at 7:58 PM, LSHMEAB said:

Yes. I have seen Allen stand in the pocket and deliver accurate throws. I would like to see more of it as opposed to bailing even when there's no pressure.

As I clearly stated before, I believe a better offensive line is needed to determine whether or not he's gonna improve on recognition. It would be unfair to judge him based on the porous line, but there are no guarantees. As has been stated, he's never been a high percentage guy. I feel like Hapless coined the "bunnies" phrase as it pertains to JA. Gotta hit the bunnies. I still think of that a college hoops phrase, but it works here as well.

Just like J allen is showing signs of improvement as a QB, this post gives me hope that you too may improve as a poster. 

1 hour ago, Billzfan23 said:

The biggest thing to me is his confidence and poise.  He has zero time, yet he never looks panicked.  He has a good command of the huddle and it genuinely looks like he's having fun.  I think he's going to develop into an exciting comeback player when he's down in games, and he's going to play well with the lead.  He has to stay healthy though, he's taken a lot of hits - but seems to be able to shrug those off like Big Ben in Pittsburgh.

I see him the the same way. You can just tell he is different than the scrubs we have had at the position the last 20 years. Whether those were rookies or veterans. He oozes potential and at the same time the moment and game doesn't look to big for him. And coming from a small school, that was a serious question mark going into the draft. Not anymore. He has exceeded my expectations since coming back from injury. His passing needs to improve and I believe it will improve. The good thing is, even if he is only half the threat with his legs moving forward that we have seen in the last three games, his passing will only need to improve marginally. He won't need to be an elite passer to be successful if he has elite mobility. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Interesting stat that (IMO) illustrates what is currently setting Baker Mayfield apart from other rookies:

DuTzfUPXcAYohGl.jpg

Really interesting...I think it would be even more enlightening if they were able to track where pressure is coming from and compare ratings again- even if just broken down into two categories (A&B gaps vs C/D gap). If you're getting consistent pressure up the middle it's much harder to deal with than outside pressure where you know your center and guards are solid and you can step up and deal...this is another one of those stats that would be a lot more insightful with just a bit more detail.

I’m betting more minds were changed this week 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/17/josh-allens-latest-chapter-is-his-best-to-date-buffalo-bills-lion-robert-foster-zay-jones-sean-mcdermott/amp/

Josh’s latest chapter ^

Bills QB Josh Allen was pretty raw and needed significant fundamental work coming out of Wyoming. Buffalo is looking for progress from their rookie quarterback, and yesterday’s win gave the team plenty of hope that what they’re trying to teach him—to take what the defense gives him and to protect himself when he runs—is starting to take. It showed yesterday, even with pedestrian numbers to show for it.

https://amp.si.com/nfl/2018/12/17/colts-players-only-meeting-ty-hilton-nfl-news-notes

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1