Bills QB Josh Allen is changing skeptical minds. ---- Brady Quinn apparently prefers potential over results

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

People talk about his accuracy but I think it isn't that bad.  He is under a microscope and isn't throwing as much as other QB's so it gets magnified.  He had that one series where he made a great play on 3 and 5 to get out of pocket and get the first down and it got called back.  Then made a great throw on 3rd and 15 for a first down and that got called back.  That would have improved his numbers. 

I also think either due to him not being able to read the whole field yet or the coaches just not trusting him, he is put into situation where it is tough to complete passes.  Example, the drive after we took the lead in the 4th and got the ball back from the Jags.  I wanted us to throw on first or second so we didn't leave Josh in a 3rd and long situation.  Predictably we run twice up the middle for a minimal gain and leave Josh in a third and long situation where the defense knows you are throwing.  I don't think Daboll puts him in a good situation there and needs to trust Josh more.  Too conservative when you are trying to put the game away.  Just let him throw the damn ball on first and second down.  They ran on first down and got stuffed, then McCoy lined up to the left of Allen in shotgun and I said to those I was watching the game with, here comes the inside zone.  That is what they ran and it got stuffed.  I think Daboll is making it harder for Josh than it has to be in some situations. 

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
4 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

There are many positive attributes I see with Josh, but great accuracy? Nope. 

That's cool, but who said he had great accuracy.  Kind of hilarious that you quote me saying isn't that bad and conflate that with great.

48 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

:16

1:44

2:42

2:51 - bad ball placement and awful touch on, what should have been, a routine throw.

3:30

3:57

4:04

Now go cry in your pillow.

We've addressed :16 as a bit behind the receiver although it was good coverage. 

Come on, 1:44 is nitpicking. Every QB throws a ball out of bounds like that literally every week. 

2:42 shows why it's hard to take you seriously. There is nothing wrong with that throw. That was a good play by the defender to knock it out after it was caught at first. 

2:51: what? I thought it was fine. It's a screen to McKenzie which he turned upfield. 

I agree on 3:30 although Ramsey was closing in on him. He is working on these throws. 

3:57: That's a throwaway. Come on. Take off the crusade helmet. 

I can agree with 4:04. 

All in all, your anti-Allen crusade is tiresome and telling people to go cry in their pillow because of it is just sad. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

That's cool, but who said he had great accuracy.  Kind of hilarious that you quote me saying isn't that bad and conflate that with great.

Fair enough. "Isn't that bad" to me means that he's at least average, I don't see average accuracy out of Josh. 

I could throw some statistics out there on the matter, but there's no need. We all know he becomes "Teflon Josh" whenever you want to find numbers that support the hype. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

This is a very important and true point

We dissect the hell out of Josh Allen.......I have seen Mahommes.....Big Ben....Brady....Breez.....I have seen ALL of them make throws that were not perfect throws...some of them were incompletions and some of them the pass catcher's actually helped their QB out.   It gets missed because at the end of the game they have gaudy stat numbers.

I mean, that’s kinda the point.  I get people want to hype our guy but some of you act like Allen is the only qb to have a receiver drop a pass.  He’s never been an accurate qb and is currently at 52%.  It is what it is.  

He is definitely faster and more agile than I thought.  But he is the same erratic passer whose team is limiting the amount of time he throws.  He needs to improve as a pocket passer because as great as the runs are, they will take their toll.  Right now the game plan it to keep Allen in the pocket and make him beat you with his arm.  Hopefully one day, he will be able too.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Throw them out there.  Here is something to chew on.  Wyoming was a historically very bad program before Josh.  He carried them to two bowls and a bowl win.  They fell back to 6-6 this season and their starter had a 48.8 completion percentage.  Quite a difference from what Josh did there.  

People want to throw out stats but know nothing about the type of offense being run and what he has around him.  If Allen would have played for Oklahoma, he would have been above 60.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Name them or STFU

Why are you so angry about this?  You want great qbs do, they raise up their receivers.  Our wrs sucks but our qbs did not raise them up.  Allen will be given more weapons next year but sorry John.  He is kinda of an inaccurate qb and our game plan is to try and hide that as much as possible. 

2 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Throw them out there.  Here is something to chew on.  Wyoming was a historically very bad program before Josh.  He carried them to two bowls and a bowl win.  They fell back to 6-6 this season and there starter had a 48.8 completion percentage.  Quite a difference from what Josh did there.  

People want to throw out stats but know nothing about the type of offense being run and what he has around him.  If Allen would have played for Oklahoma, he would have been above 60.

Well Oklahoma didn’t recruit because he completed 49% of his passes in junior college.  http://www.cccaasports.org/sports/fball/2014-15/players/joshuaallen0oal

its not hating on him, it’s reality. He has every physical tool but he needs to improve his accuracy and mechanics.

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Why are you so angry about this?  You want great qbs do, they raise up their receivers.  Our wrs sucks but our qbs did not raise them up.  Allen will be given more weapons next year but sorry John.  He is kinda of an inaccurate qb and our game plan is to try and hide that as much as possible. 

Well Oklahoma didn’t recruit because he completed 49% of his passes in junior college.  http://www.cccaasports.org/sports/fball/2014-15/players/joshuaallen0oal

its not hating on him, it’s reality. He has every physical tool but he needs to improve his accuracy and mechanics.

C.  Cant you see what he is doing?

If he cannot give a for instance past the 2 throws then he is just being a punchbowl pisser....either he can add something to discuss or stop making ***** up.

I am not trying to shut down conversation......I am asking him to justify it....he cant....so he wont

8 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Throw them out there.  Here is something to chew on.  Wyoming was a historically very bad program before Josh.  He carried them to two bowls and a bowl win.  They fell back to 6-6 this season and there starter had a 48.8 completion percentage.  Quite a difference from what Josh did there.  

NCAA numbers: 

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/24/17271686/josh-allen-nfl-draft-2018-stats-analysis-comparisons

NFL numbers....pretty straight forward.  He's the 33rd rated PFF passer, and if you want to get into total and rate stats, his numbers are in the bottom 20%. 

I hope there is a day where all the stats scream "Hey, Josh is a top 10 QB!", but they never did leading up to the draft, and they are nowhere near that now. 

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

C.  Cant you see what he is doing?

If he cannot give a for instance past the 2 throws then he is just being a punchbowl pisser....either he can add something to discuss or stop making ***** up.

I am not trying to shut down conversation......I am asking him to justify it....he cant....so he wont

But John, looking at Allen’s career as whole, in college or the pros, he has struggled being accurate. It’s just a fact.  I didn’t want him to play right away but he got forced in there.  We are trying to limit the amount of times he passes.  

Ive never once questioned his physical skill but he has a lot to work to do as a passer.  And it’s just about consistency. Brees is just consistent.  Allen has some work to do in that area.

24 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But John, looking at Allen’s career as whole, in college or the pros, he has struggled being accurate. It’s just a fact.  I didn’t want him to play right away but he got forced in there.  We are trying to limit the amount of times he passes.  

Ive never once questioned his physical skill but he has a lot to work to do as a passer.  And it’s just about consistency. Brees is just consistent.  Allen has some work to do in that area.

That is not what is being discussed here.....it was the amount of inaccurate throws in his last game.

Of which.....in all honesty (and I have reviewed the game pass twice) there wre literally two actual bad passes

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

:16

1:44

2:42

2:51 - bad ball placement and awful touch on, what should have been, a routine throw.

3:30

3:57

4:04

Now go cry in your pillow.

:16 wasn't that the one that was tipped?

1:44 look at the down and how far he has to for the first that one was a prayer for a 1st or at worst a punt.

2:42 directly into his receivers hands...how is that inaccurate?

2:51That one was either a bad throw or miscommunication.

3:30 Yeah that one wasn't good.

3:57 Thrown away

4:04 Somewhat off but he was hit as he was throwing it.

Trent Dilfer covered it pretty good in that interview about the Soul & Science

I don't see a lot of his throws that I think are not where he wants them to be.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1

High draft pick quarterbacks get covered closely regardless of the team. I know it's the Bills but Allen's garnered national interest. He's been seen by the good writers especially if someone's writing the piece. Baker, Rosen, Darnold, Allen and Lamar are all being watched and kept up with by the average fan. We do this outlrselves with the rookie years. 

I'm sure this guy did his homework but no national media article is going to dissect and watch every Bills game Allen play as closely as TBD.  So we can nitpick the article all we want, it ain't wrong though just not written by some TSW collaborative thinkpiece

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But John, looking at Allen’s career as whole, in college or the pros, he has struggled being accurate

In the short game you're right. I don't think he will ever be a 68% completion passer on a consistent basis for that reason. But when he's throwing downfield it looks to me like he can be as accurate as anyone in the league. That's what you're going to get with him. Instead of throwing 2 perfect strikes for 10 yards, he'll throw one perfect strike for 20 yards and then miss his next pass. Same result, just a different process. That's simplifying things and either way he has a long way to go but the potential is there.

23 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

He had like 2 poor throws the whole damn game....the rest were either completiojns, throw aways, dropped passes, or called back because of penalties.

When you have 8 completions, “like two poor throws” isn’t great but it’s obviously not as bad as the writer framed either