Bills QB Josh Allen is changing skeptical minds. ---- Brady Quinn apparently prefers potential over results

13 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

He had like 2 poor throws the whole damn game....the rest were either completiojns, throw aways, dropped passes, or called back because of penalties.

I fear that for his entire career, his critics will point out every bad throw he makes just to say “I told you so”.  He can go 20 completions for 21 attempts and his critics will point out the one he missed was inaccurate just like they predicted.

5 hours ago, Figster said:

Cam Newton and Josh Allen are somewhat similar in size and running ability. Newton has been a scoring machine both running and throwing the football carrying the power forward style QB play to a whole new level in the NFL IMO. This is something McD witnessed 1st hand and I would not be surprised to see Daboll give Allen the green light to run on any given play.

I get where your coming from,  Allen has a good head on his shoulders and the biggest cannon in the league.  Myself personally though, I'm expecting Josh Allen to use all the gifts the football gods gave him and along with McD's D , take us where no Bills fan has gone before.

MERCY LeGOATski!!!

Yeah, there really hasn't been much drop off in Cam's rushing attempts throughout his career. 

Comparing Cam and Russell Wilson, Cam's run/pass ratio his rookie year was 24%. In 2017 it was 28%.

Wilson's ratio his rookie year was 23%. In 2017 it was 17%.

I always want Allen to use his running ability to make plays, but there's no question he'll have to pass more/become a more proficient passer. I'd rather see the Russell Wilson progression than the Cam Newton progression.

So far in his rookie season, Allen's ratio is 30%. It just seems too high, even for a running QB, if that's what we want to label him as currently.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, there really hasn't been much drop off in Cam's rushing attempts throughout his career. 

Comparing Cam and Russell Wilson, Cam's run/pass ratio his rookie year was 24%. In 2017 it was 28%.

Wilson's ratio his rookie year was 23%. In 2017 it was 17%.

I always want Allen to use his running ability to make plays, but there's no question he'll have to pass more/become a more proficient passer. I'd rather see the Russell Wilson progression than the Cam Newton progression.

So far in his rookie season, Allen's ratio is 30%. It just seems too high, even for a running QB, if that's what we want to label him as currently.

Well none of those other QBs have had as bad of a surrounding cast as Allen has. I can easily say that has a lot to do with him needing to make more plays himself.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Well none of those other QBs have had as bad of a surrounding cast as Allen has. I can easily say that has a lot to do with him needing to make more plays himself.

That has nothing to do with it at all. It's just where Allen is right now as a passer.

Barkley showcased a more typical passing game the week before with the same supporting cast.

You don't have to try to defend Allen. We're just talking about his development.

That one pass, I believe to Zay, that was slightly behind was also slightly tipped.  

It may have still ended up behind Zay and knocked down by the DB or LB, but possibly could have been completed.

EDIT:

@NoHuddleKelly12

Good, then you saw it in slow motion, too, Huddles.

Not tipped, but that grazing by the Dlineman could have influenced the trajectory of the ball a bit.

Man...what a sight it will be when this game starts to click or slow down for this kid.  It is going to be beautiful...for us!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

That one pass, I believe to Zay, that was slightly behind was also slightly tipped.  

It may have still ended up behind Zay and knocked down by the DB or LB, but possibly could have been completed.

EDIT:

@NoHuddleKelly12

Good, then you saw it in slow motion, too, Huddles.

Not tipped, but that grazing by the Dlineman could have influenced the trajectory of the ball a bit.

Man...what a sight it will be when this game starts to click or slow down for this kid.  It is going to be beautiful...for us!

Getting into the film review weeds ? Donuts, you bring your lunch pail to TBD work everyday! Good slo mo description to help explain the result—and I couldn’t agree more. I’m not worried about his completion % long term as he shows he can hit his guys and it will come up naturally if he keeps up his overall noticeable progress. 

8 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

You ask if we all want him to succeed.  Sadly, no.   There are some who would rather see him fail so they can anonymously brag on a web site about how smart they were when they said it was a bad draft pick.  

Very sad, very true. Hopefully though it’s a very small # subset of the very public haters 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Getting into the film review weeds ? Donuts, you bring your lunch pail to TBD work everyday! Good slo mo description to help explain the result—and I couldn’t agree more. I’m not worried about his completion % long term as he shows he can hit his guys and it will come up naturally if he keeps up his overall noticeable progress. 

Very sad, very true. Hopefully though it’s a very small # subset of the very public haters 

BTW, are some of nuts, NHK, for starting to enjoy this season even though they are likely going to miss the playoffs?

I am so ready to keep having fun the next 5 weeks and see further honest to goodness growth from these guys!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Day 1 of camp I thought Josh Allen would/should get the last 6 games on the schedule to start and learn  .   Events led to him not getting to be on the sideline for all the time before that, but its here now, and it is his time.  I am now optimistic he will develope over the next couple of years to the killer QB we all want to see lead the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

BTW, are some of nuts, NHK, for starting to enjoy this season even though they are likely going to miss the playoffs?

I am so ready to keep having fun the next 5 weeks and see further honest to goodness growth from these guys!

D2D, if you’re nuts then I must be looney tunes because the last couple weeks especially have sure seemed like the semblance of a master plan finally coming together even if changes to it have had to be made on the fly along the way. And so long as we remain mathematically alive to boot, I can continue to dream of a Cinderella run as I play the lotto on the side. That’s enough for me on a rainy Friday down here in the “A” today.

• Like (+1) 1

He has a longways to go still but I am at least encouraged that he has had two good games this year even if he didn't exactly throw a lot in either of them. What this team is dying for is a QB that can carry a team through the air with 300+ yard passing games somewhat regularly. A feat that in today's NFL really shouldn't be that hard with every year that goes by. We don't know if Josh will be that guy yet or not. But I think until we do find that QB that can throw for 4,000+ yards in a season we will continue to be wanting as fans. One thing that also seems to be nice about Josh so far is that for a rookie he takes care of the ball pretty well. And at the same time I think he does have the mindset of wanting to make big plays and take chances. So the yards will hopefully eventually come and maybe not necessarily at the expense of a greater turnover ratio. 

His athletic ability is something else. And I hope the coaches DO NOT encourage him to dial his running back. You got to let the kid play to his natural ability and instincts. It will only make him better. 

16 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

He had like 2 poor throws the whole damn game....the rest were either completiojns, throw aways, dropped passes, or called back because of penalties.

Not trying to post this to be a negative nancy, but we all know he still has plenty to work on. We very well could have won that game 35+ to 21. You also saw him be given a playbook with which he is most familiar: play action and jet sweep. Make no mistake, he still has many packages to learn and feel comfortable under when he can't hide behind play action developing deep routes and needing to identify timed windows and hit them (which I believe he can do eventually).

He progressed but you still could see issues with footwork, timing, reads, and yes the few inaccurate throws. He did better at not staring down the rush, but there were a few plays that he stared down the blitzing LB instead of the open receiver. It's not nitpicking to say he still has much to improve upon, but what we saw Sunday should not make anyone more worried or skeptical than they are now and should really only serve as evidence to rookie progression in the right direction. 

I really want to see him work on his footwork and reads/timing this year - to see any progress in this regard would say a lot about how quickly he is synthesizing and expanding the playbook while also having the game slow down for him.

Edited by ctk232

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

What this team is dying for is a QB that can carry a team through the air with 300+ yard passing games somewhat regularly. A feat that in today's NFL really shouldn't be that hard with every year that goes by. We don't know if Josh will be that guy yet or not. But I think until we do find that QB that can throw for 4,000+ yards in a season we will continue to be wanting as fans.

Pretty much my feelings on J.A. right now. 

I'm sick of glorifying 180 yard, 1 TD performances. Give me 310 yards and 3 TDs with no picks, 8.0 YPA, and 66% completion.  

It doesn't have to happen weekly, but I want to see a few of those out of Allen before I start jumping with joy. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

32 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Not trying to post this to be a negative nancy, but we all know he still has plenty to work on. We very well could have won that game 35+ to 21. You also saw him be given a playbook with which he is most familiar: play action and jet sweep. Make no mistake, he still has many packages to learn and feel comfortable under when he can't hide behind play action developing deep routes and needing to identify timed windows and hit them (which I believe he can do eventually).

He progressed but you still could see issues with footwork, timing, reads, and yes the few inaccurate throws. He did better at not staring down the rush, but there were a few plays that he stared down the blitzing LB instead of the open receiver. It's not nitpicking to say he still has much to improve upon, but what we saw Sunday should not make anyone more worried or skeptical than they are now and should really only serve as evidence to rookie progression in the right direction. 

I really want to see him work on his footwork and reads/timing this year - to see any progress in this regard would say a lot about how quickly he is synthesizing and expanding the playbook while also having the game slow down for him.

Its fine.  I also agree that he has plenty to work on.   He still looks like the best QB of this draft class right now and has a ton of upside.

3-3 as a starter (maybe 4-2 if he doesn't get hurt against Houston) in his rookie season on an offense that seems to be pretty void of talent and all of them learning a new scheme. Robbed of reps and playing time in the off season and training camp. No running game to speak of (unless he's the one running). No tight ends. A #1 receiver who should be playing tight end. I mean, yea it hasn't been pretty. He has had the decked stacked against him more so than any other rookie or 2nd year QB this year. I'd say he'd be the talk of the town playing for Houston or Kansas City. I think everyone should sit back, relax and let the rest of the season play out at least because your opinion will change from week to week. Obviously if we lose, you'll hate him and if we win, you'll love him. Best to have a bit more of a long term outlook.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, CLTbills said:

The guy showed two throws that were not out in front of the receiver, that would have been completions for a decent gain had the ball placement been spot on. That being said, it was 2 throws. I'd be willing to bet that if we broke down the game film of every QB in the league, EVERY starting QB in the NFL has a couple of these a game (except for Rivers last week.... DAMN). But when you were on the "Allen's accuracy sucks" train, then you're going to see what you want to see.

This is a very important and true point

We dissect the hell out of Josh Allen.......I have seen Mahommes.....Big Ben....Brady....Breez.....I have seen ALL of them make throws that were not perfect throws...some of them were incompletions and some of them the pass catcher's actually helped their QB out.   It gets missed because at the end of the game they have gaudy stat numbers.

34 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Its fine.  I also agree that he has plenty to work on.   He still looks like the best QB of this draft class right now and has a ton of upside.

I'm curious to see how he continues to develop, but also how Mayfield handles this transition phase as he seems to be coming around as well some how. Sammy and Rosen are still big question marks and one year is too soon. But I'll take Allen's upside.

18 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

That's not true.  He skipped 2 balls, so that's 2 bad throws off the bat.  

He doesn't scan the field particularly quick and that leads to him holding on to the ball for too long.

Why are Bills fans so afraid of pointing out weaknesses in Allen's game?  It doesn't make you any less of a fan or an "Allen hater". 

2 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

That's not true.  He skipped 2 balls, so that's 2 bad throws off the bat.  

He doesn't scan the field particularly quick and that leads to him holding on to the ball for too long.

Why are Bills fans so afraid of pointing out weaknesses in Allen's game?  It doesn't make you any less of a fan or an "Allen hater". 

Those are two poor throws........is math hard for you?