Robert Foster pays it forward to a young fan!

The Poojer

His heart is in the right place but I don't agree with this. This kid needed a $250 pair of sneakers? There are kids in Buffalo that don't know if they will be able to eat today. But this kid was like wahhhh give me give me and his answer is sure kid, in life you don't have to work for anything. When I was a kid I didn't have money for expensive things so I worked my butt off and got a good job and now I can buy things (but choose not to). I'd much rather read a story about how Foster went to a shelter and handed out gift cards to Wegmans. Not to mention now anytime anyone sees this guy at the mall they are going to ask for free stuff. Good luck with that.

Again, his heart is in the right place but how many of you had or needed $250 sneakers when you were a kid? Dumb

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

"Mike Steams" has 53K followers?

The Insta address is "Everything Buffalo" which seems to have some kind of online memorabilia store.  It's also not hard to pick up a few tens of thousands of followers PDQ when you post something that attracts interest.

21 minutes ago, WRONG JOSH said:

His heart is in the right place but I don't agree with this. This kid needed a $250 pair of sneakers? There are kids in Buffalo that don't know if they will be able to eat today. But this kid was like wahhhh give me give me and his answer is sure kid, in life you don't have to work for anything. When I was a kid I didn't have money for expensive things so I worked my butt off and got a good job and now I can buy things (but choose not to). I'd much rather read a story about how Foster went to a shelter and handed out gift cards to Wegmans. Not to mention now anytime anyone sees this guy at the mall they are going to ask for free stuff. Good luck with that.

Again, his heart is in the right place but how many of you had or needed $250 sneakers when you were a kid? Dumb

I think the way to look at it is, when he's giving the kid a gift, he's likely also giving his inner kid a gift.  In a way, he's buying those sneakers for the young Robert Foster who wanted and probably couldn't get 'em.

I worry it might mean Foster doesn't know how to budget, but I can't get in with critiquing a generous act, not at all.  And believe most Buffalonians would have better manners than to approach the guy and demand freebees, but if they do, he'll learn to send a personal shopper to the mall or to go with friends.

Wegman's sucks, man, where do they get off with those prices?  Going down to a shelter like that, habituating the residents to such high end grocery stores.

Gift cards to Walmart Aldis would be more appropriate for the poor shelter residents than Wegmans.  What's next, buying them Elli Quark 'stead of generic yogurt?  <== sarcasm

Can we stop with pronouncing on what other people should or shouldn't get, and mind our own stores?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Insta address is "Everything Buffalo" which seems to have some kind of online memorabilia store.  It's also not hard to pick up a few tens of thousands of followers PDQ when you post something that attracts interest.

I think the way to look at it is, when he's giving the kid a gift, he's likely also giving his inner kid a gift.  In a way, he's buying those sneakers for the young Robert Foster who wanted and probably couldn't get 'em.

I worry it might mean Foster doesn't know how to budget, but I can't get in with critiquing a generous act, not at all.  And believe most Buffalonians would have better manners than to approach the guy and demand freebees, but if they do, he'll learn to send a personal shopper to the mall or to go with friends.

Wegman's sucks, man, where do they get off with those prices?  Going down to a shelter like that, habituating the residents to such high end grocery stores.

Gift cards to Walmart Aldis would be more appropriate for the poor shelter residents than Wegmans.  What's next, buying them Elli Quark 'stead of generic yogurt?  <== sarcasm

Can we stop with pronouncing on what other people should or shouldn't get, and mind our own stores?

Depending on what you are shopping for Wegman's is pretty competitive.  Wegman's and Walmart are within pennies of each other on items such as Campbell's soup often with Walmart being the higher of the two.  Now if a guy is donating to a shelter he should be looking at the store brand turkey versus the free range organic turkey to get the most bang for the buck so there is that to consider.  Also, buying a 5 lb bag of potatoes you buy the variety in the 1.99 bag versus the Yukon's at 4.99.  Bottomline is it's how you shop versus where you shop in a lot of cases.

16 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Depending on what you are shopping for Wegman's is pretty competitive.  Wegman's and Walmart are within pennies of each other on items such as Campbell's soup often with Walmart being the higher of the two.  Now if a guy is donating to a shelter he should be looking at the store brand turkey versus the free range organic turkey to get the most bang for the buck so there is that to consider.  Also, buying a 5 lb bag of potatoes you buy the variety in the 1.99 bag versus the Yukon's at 4.99.  Bottomline is it's how you shop versus where you shop in a lot of cases.

Oh, I getcha.  I was just indulging some sar chasm for the mindset that critiques a generous act. 

There was a thing a while back about a shopper who decided to buy groceries for a woman with young daughters who was living in a shelter trying to put her life back together.  She told the woman "anything you want" and was surprised that the woman's choices included things like fresh cherries and leaf lettuce - things she never, ever got from a food pantry.  There was quite a storm of critique on her story, she should have just given the woman a case of box mac-n-cheese and some tuna fish to last her longer. 

My point is (and this isn't to you) don't second guess generosity, and don't assume that the "wrong" or "less effective" help is of less value to someone trying to get their life together.  Maybe the taste of fresh cherries was a reminder of better days that inspired the woman and her daughters to work triple-hard to get to a point where they could buy them for themselves.

15 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

Love it. I'm eating my Christmas crow. In the beginning of the year, I just couldn't see what McD saw in this guy. But I was looking at his performance on the field and not his person. McD saw the person and knew the performance would follow. He's fast becoming a fan favorite and these type of acts of charity are treasured by Bills fans. Thank you Robert Foster for proving us wrong and putting in the work to make it in the NFL. Well-deserved.

I'm in the same boat.  Didn't know much about him off the field but was unimpressed with his play on the field, until recently.  Great story and I hope he continues to impress both on and off the field.  Go Bills!

This story was already posted on the Robert Foster thread - I know, I posted it!  But it's a great story and I'm glad to see it getting its own thread. 

I may have started tearing up a little when I retold the story to my wife.  So many bad things grab headlines.  So many good things often go under the radar.  

What I wrote yesterday on the other Foster thread:

My early impression of Foster was that he was a useless speedster who couldn't track & catch long balls.

After reading about him buying shoes for a West Seneca teen,  my current impression is that he's a great young man.  I'm rooting for the kid.

3 hours ago, WRONG JOSH said:

I opened this thread just knowing there’d be at least one poster who would do this.

There’s always one. A bright ray of sunshine that brightens the entire world.

• Like (+1) 2

Good guy.  He has a real chance at making it. He wasn’t some d3 recruit who is trying to make it make the cut.  He is an physically elite top recruited talent from the #1 football program in college football.  He didn’t shine in college but that was more due to average qb play and Ridley becoming the favorite target. 

....sure as hell glad this youngster heeded McDermott's wake up call.......letting an opportunity of a lifetime slip away because of lacking work ethic is foolish......recent performances look like the lad "gets it" and now this graceful community gesture is one more feather in his cap....good show Robert.....:thumbsup:

This is awesome.  I loved his interview in the locker room this week as well.  Seems very grounded and humbled by his life experiences.

5 hours ago, WRONG JOSH said:

You seriously have a problem with this?  Who says Foster wont donate to others in the city? Weird thing to get hung up on.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

This is awesome.  I loved his interview in the locker room this week as well.  Seems very grounded and humbled by his life experiences.

You seriously have a problem with this?  Who says Foster wont donate to others in the city? Weird thing to get hung up on.

I don't have a problem with what he did, I think his heart is in the right place. I have a problem with a bratty kid thinking he deserves $250 sneakers and this being some great charity story. My wife grew up poor and hungry and not knowing if she would be able to eat that day and embarrassed that her mom couldn't afford school supplies. There's way more charitable opportunities in Buffalo.

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He had the 53K as when he posted this.  These are followers, not "likes".

This seems fishy....

1 hour ago, WRONG JOSH said:

I don't have a problem with what he did, I think his heart is in the right place. I have a problem with a bratty kid thinking he deserves $250 sneakers and this being some great charity story. My wife grew up poor and hungry and not knowing if she would be able to eat that day and embarrassed that her mom couldn't afford school supplies. There's way more charitable opportunities in Buffalo.

I can agree with that but maybe the kid wasn't being bratty and just wanted them.  Most kids want a lot of stuff and can appear bratty for wanting too much.

But again, just that Foster did the shoes thing doesn't mean he won't or can't do additional charitable things.

• Thank you (+1) 1