2019 Mock Draft: Bills take OT Greg Little (Mississippi) at 9

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I'm with you on all of this so far, though a couple guys from smaller schools can boost their stock a bit in the all-star games. I've got my top WR at #23 on my current board. 2 in the top 32, 6 from 33-64, 5 from 65-96. Day 2 is loaded with value at WR imo.

I've got Jonah Williams at 18 currently.

Yea. We are on a similar page by the sounds of it BH - even on Jonah - who to me is a upper to mid 1st rounder, not a top 5 or 6 pick type talent.

Edited by GunnerBill

Obviously a lot depends on what we do in free agency. Business wise it would seem smart to draft a franchise OT in the first round IF one is there as a quality one will cost much more in FA. We need a address Center, along with WR. I’d like us to add a starter at OLB as well in the draft or FA.

Regardless, we must add new starters at OL-RT, WR, C, OLB along w depth at RB, CB and DT.

Curious what everyone thinks if we try to resign OG-Miller or let him go?

51 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Obviously a lot depends on what we do in free agency. Business wise it would seem smart to draft a franchise OT in the first round IF one is there as a quality one will cost much more in FA. We need a address Center, along with WR. I’d like us to add a starter at OLB as well in the draft or FA.

Regardless, we must add new starters at OL-RT, WR, C, OLB along w depth at RB, CB and DT.

Curious what everyone thinks if we try to resign OG-Miller or let him go?

I think we will let Miller walk. Think we might have interest in bringing Mills back at a cheap price as we did last time he was a FA.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

And there is also articles calling it one of best drafts for WRs.  Thanks for sharing, but for me this article is way over the top opinion based on his own personal far fetched theory.  I don’t see it the same way.  To me, Dallas made the trade for Amari based on desperation to get the passing game going this year, not based on draft outlook of WR position.  Jerry feels they have a team that could win but the lack of a WR was holding the offense back and squandering the defense and Elliot.  So they made a move, Jerry hates losing.  

I fully acknowledge there is no obvious Calvin Johnson guy.  Heck there is no Sammy Watkins (not talking his NFL career, talking how highly ranked overall out of all positions as a player he was going into the draft) either.  BUT...it was the less heralded OBJ that’s had the most success in the NFL, a guy people thought would likely go bottom half of the first round (pre-draft) and wasn’t that true #1 guy because he wasn’t big enough.  Even some Bills fans wanted him, but most didn’t think he was a good fit because of his size, and just about everyone felt strongly that Sammy was the best WR prospect that year going into the draft.

There is this habit of where media and fans label a Draft a bad one for a position if there isn’t that “Andrew Luck”  hyped up prospect at said position.  But looking around the NFL there are tons of stud WRs that were not slated to go top 15 or even be first rounders, guys who are true #1 WRs today.  What’s even more puzzling about it, if there was a WR that was so highly regarded like say Saquan was for a RB last year, we wouldn’t have a shot at him anyway because we aren’t picking top 5 or likely even top 10.

Even in the most recent worst draft year I can remember for WRs, 2008 where none went first round, the 3rd WR off board in the 2nd round was Jordy Nelson who went on to have a stellar career.  Aaron Rogers, as great as he is, was always better with Jordy on the field.  

Point is, this lack of obvious top 10 pick means nothing, it’s loaded with talented WRs, many of which have #1 WR potential.

Look around the league, look at some of the best the last decade, some of the best in history and you see guys that were not theses “top half of the first” prospects that went bottom half of first or in later rounds.  I’m pretty sure everyone here would prefer to have JuJu right now for example. 

So for me, this is a very deep class and we are going to get a talented kid somewhere in this draft.  Most intriguing is Metcalf.  I see some still mocking him as high as #2 overall (no chance that happens IMO) and several others late top 10.  If he has a strong combine after the neck injury, he will be that top half prospect, likely even the top 10 guy people say is lacking.  Seen 3 mocks having us take him between 9 and 12th, so I’d be stoked if that happens.

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Point is, this lack of obvious top 10 pick means nothing, it’s loaded with talented WRs, many of which have #1 WR potential.

Look around the league, look at some of the best the last decade, some of the best in history and you see guys that were not theses “top half of the first” prospects that went bottom half of first or in later rounds.  I’m pretty sure everyone here would prefer to have JuJu right now for example. 

Indeed. But JuJu wasn't coming out, and still isn't in fact, a complete #1 receiver. He has a lot of qualities but he isn't a true #1 and isn't asked to be a #1 because he plays opposite either the best or second best receiver in the league (I have AB #1 but I can take an argument for Julio). That is why he was graded in the 2nd round and went in the 2nd round.

This is a deep draft for wide receivers but there isn't, in my mind based on what I have seen, that top end quality. If the Bills end up top 12 in the draft and are determined to take a wide receiver in the 1st they should find a trade partner and move back - even if it only nets them an extra mid round pick - and then take one later in the 1st. That doesn't mean there won't be good NFL receivers in this class - I am sure there will - but you have to consider value and top 12 just feels a bit rich for these guys. If the Bills are staying at 12 and picking at 12 I would expect them to take a pass rusher because that is the best mesh of need, positional value and BPA.

Of course it is still a long way out from the draft and there are a lot of players (including the one in the title of this thread) who I haven't really focussed on at all yet.

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Indeed. But JuJu wasn't coming out, and still isn't in fact, a complete #1 receiver. He has a lot of qualities but he isn't a true #1 and isn't asked to be a #1 because he plays opposite either the best or second best receiver in the league (I have AB #1 but I can take an argument for Julio). That is why he was graded in the 2nd round and went in the 2nd round.

This is a deep draft for wide receivers but there isn't, in my mind based on what I have seen, that top end quality. If the Bills end up top 12 in the draft and are determined to take a wide receiver in the 1st they should find a trade partner and move back - even if it only nets them an extra mid round pick - and then take one later in the 1st. That doesn't mean there won't be good NFL receivers in this class - I am sure there will - but you have to consider value and top 12 just feels a bit rich for these guys. If the Bills are staying at 12 and picking at 12 I would expect them to take a pass rusher because that is the best mesh of need, positional value and BPA.

Of course it is still a long way out from the draft and there are a lot of players (including the one in the title of this thread) who I haven't really focussed on at all yet.

I get it, and I’ve floated the trade down as a preferred option too, especially with the depth of WR later in the first.  However, if Metcalf is there at 12, he’s a top 10 guy forgotten about right now because of the neck injury.  But I fully expect him to show up and have a strong offseason and cement his place as the top guy.  I’d take him easily in that 9-12 range (where I expect will be the highest range we will draft and quite possible we may pick even later than that).  

But I’m also not worried if we don’t go WR in the first, lots of guys this year and we can grab one in 2nd or even use some of the extra picks we grabbed to move up into bottom half first again or top of the second and snag a guy they love that’s maybe slid a little.

Part of me will be disappointed if we go OL in the 1st round just because its not an exciting position, but I also think it might be the right thing to do.  For years, the Colts didn't build around Andrew Luck, and he ended up taking so many crazy hits and getting seriously injured.  We need to have OL as priority #1, and WR/RB #2, and followed by DL at #3 with Kyle soon to be gone

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I think both Jonah Williams and Greg Little will be gone when we pick. I could easily see us drafting 15-18. Have a feeling we'll win all of our remaining games except New England. I called the losing streak, now I'm calling a winning streak. Allen gets red hot and puts us in a great spot to win some games. Bills finish 8-8.

If we play ourselves into the middle picks of the first - I'd rather we just spend the pick on the top WR available (Brown, Harry, etc.) and hope we addressed/address Center and RG or RT in FA. I'd entertain a trade down scenario but likely won't get much for a mid-round pick versus a top 5 pick. 

19 hours ago, greenyellowred said:

I can't complain. since there aren't a lot of top WR's in this draft.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-nfl-mock-draft-2019-49ers-20181128-story.html

9. Buffalo (4-7) — Greg Little, OT, Ole Miss, Jr.

The Bills need to overhaul Josh Allen’s supporting cast on offense. Little has elite size (6-foot-6, 332 pounds) and athleticism. Top needs: WR, OL, CB

I hate to say it but if everyone is talking BPA, if CB Greedy Williams is on the board at 9, he is easily the BPA in this scenario.

6 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

If we play ourselves into the middle picks of the first - I'd rather we just spend the pick on the top WR available (Brown, Harry, etc.) and hope we addressed/address Center and RG or RT in FA. I'd entertain a trade down scenario but likely won't get much for a mid-round pick versus a top 5 pick. 

I don't blame you for liking Marquise Brown. Chance to be an impact #1. However, if the consensus is that he's a late 2nd I would not take him in the 1st! Take the best OL and score your WR in the 2nd round. There's a bunch of guys rated higher but I do like him the best. 

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

"Arizona State junior N’Keal Harry could end up being the first receiver off the board this spring. At 6' 4", he’s a big target who has been held under 60 receiving yards in a game only once this season. In Saturday’s win over USC, Harry made an acrobatic one-handed catch while falling backwards—he was almost completely horizontal when he stretched his arm back behind him to pluck the ball. That play showed off one of his strengths—the ability to consistently make difficult, contested catches downfield".

Just now, PIZ said:

"Arizona State junior N’Keal Harry could end up being the first receiver off the board this spring. At 6' 4", he’s a big target who has been held under 60 receiving yards in a game only once this season. In Saturday’s win over USC, Harry made an acrobatic one-handed catch while falling backwards—he was almost completely horizontal when he stretched his arm back behind him to pluck the ball. That play showed off one of his strengths—the ability to consistently make difficult, contested catches downfield".

That's why I want him...deep threat and large catch radius.  At 6'4, just throw it up there and let him get it.  

25 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I don't blame you for liking Marquise Brown. Chance to be an impact #1. However, if the consensus is that he's a late 2nd I would not take him in the 1st! Take the best OL and score your WR in the 2nd round. There's a bunch of guys rated higher but I do like him the best. 

I don't disagree but my one thought is if both Williams and Little are off the board by the time we pick, I haven't seen many other OT's in this class likely worth the value at that pick no matter how great the need for us is there. Unless we go BPA which will likely be defensive given the class, or trade down, I'm not sure what other value pick might be there at 15-18 that equates need?

8 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

I don't disagree but my one thought is if both Williams and Little are off the board by the time we pick, I haven't seen many other OT's in this class likely worth the value at that pick no matter how great the need for us is there. Unless we go BPA which will likely be defensive given the class, or trade down, I'm not sure what other value pick might be there at 15-18 that equates need?

Tyler Biadasz. Need an upgrade to the center of that OL. Biadasz is #24 on many big boards I've seen, if we're picking #18 that's a good time to draft him. 

I actually don't think this front office will be too keen on spending high round picks on OL. Beane said it himself during a pre-season game, the learning curve for even more experienced OL prospects is huge these days because these guys all play in schemes where they rarely ever line up with their hand in the dirt. They have to learn a whole other facet of their position once they reach the NFL and it takes quite a while to coach that. I can see them going OL in rounds two or three but I don't think they'll spend their first round pick on OL. If they end up with a top ten pick, I'd bet money that they'll be taking calls all day from any teams looking to come up. The offensive prospects this year aren't the greatest so the value on those players is gonna be in rounds two and three. So I can see Beane trying to stockpile a handful of twos, threes and even some fours if the offer is there. 

Ideally, I think they'd like to spend some of that cash on a couple of guys with experience who can step in and produce right away. I know the FA crop for OL also isn't great but I think they'd rather find a guy or two that way rather than having to wait it out and develop a guy. They're all in on this youth movement so I'd expect their first round pick to be a guy they feel can start right away or isn't that far away from being a day one starter.

Don't be surprised at all if a defensive player is their first pick. If they're sticking to BPA, it's likely gonna be a defensive player that'll be BPA when it's their turn in round one.