Forget Mahomes. The big miss was not hiring Frank Reich as head coach.

LTF

Oh dear God...so, an established Andrew Luck, able to Draft the best Offensive Linemen in the Draft, already having TY Hilton and so many high draft picks, what 3 2nd Rounders? None of that matters, right? Just Reich all by himself would have turned the fortunes of this franchise in his first year? Yeah, I like Reich and I think he's the right guy for where Indy is right now and they need to give him a few years to put it all together, but I seriously doubt much would have been different this year. 

Beane wanted to clear Cap space - it was the plan all along - and the Bills needed a Franchise QB and the highest they could go without leveraging so much more of their future was 7th overall and that was WITH giving up a great deal of picks and two players in Glenn and Tyrod to make that jump. Now, Allen may very well be a tremendous QB for the Bills for a long time - Dear God I'm crossing every finger and hoping so - but time will tell. However, if you think the Bills and the Colts were in the same position entering this year, I'm sorry but that is blatant delusional bias to fit an argument. 

• Like (+1) 6

Chuck Pagano went to an AFC championship game because he had Luck. 

I think Reich is going to be a good HC, but lets not act like having one of the best players at the most important position isnt a huge advantage

I dont think Reich would be successful here. He is viewed as a savior to some due to the comeback game. Feel like people would always be expecting miracles out of him and it wouldnt be fair

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

To be fair, the Bill's weren't going to fire McDermott last offseason to hire Reich after they got to the playoffs in his first year. And when they were looking for a HC, Reich was a dark horse candidate for jobs but wasnt viewed as a top candidate yet. Was he even a OC yet at that point or just on offensive assistant? 

And let's not forget that he was at best the 2nd/backup choice for the job after the had already agreed with McDaniels and hired people for his staff before he backed out and they had to scramble to hire Reich.

• Like (+1) 1

I think they interviewed Reich after Marrone left but at that time he didn't quite have the experience he has now. I think at that point (early 2015) he had only been an OC for one year with previous experience as a QB and WRs coach. And I think at the time, many fans were all over the Pegulas for being "homers" and "nostalgic for the glory days" when they interviewed Reich. But, you know, hindsight and all that.

McDermott is constantly lauded as getting a lot out of a little. Made the playoffs last year with an average roster. Has this current group playing well over the last couple weeks despite the blowouts and tough losses. He's still getting this team to show up everyday and put in the work when guys could easily start mailing it in because they know the chances of returning to the playoffs this year are slim. 

And this league has consistently tweaked the rules to favor the offense, that plays a huge role in these high-powered offenses we see right now. And let's not act like this is the first time we've ever seen teams score crazy points like this. Rams had the Greatest Show on Turf back in the early 2000s, the 2007 Pats put up crazy numbers, there was a 15-1 Vikings team that set offensive records (late 90s, I think). Plus, teams like the Chiefs, Rams and Saints have a few things: strong OLs and Pro Bowlers at every just about every skill position. 

But, as always, there are ebbs and flows in the league, which is also a copycat league. Teams will adopt what other teams do both on offense and defense. And sooner or later, defenses always catch up. A decade ago the Wildcat took the league by storm and everyone was all, "It's a new NFL!" but what happened? Eventually defenses caught up and the Wildcat faded away. There's always new trends that come up and eventually there's always an answer to those trends. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, LTF said:

Started the season 1-5 and now on a 5 game winning streak, with a 37-5 blowout of McDermott and the Bills included in that streak. The guy can coach. Why the Bills didn't bring this guy in to be their head coach is beyond me. Looking at their schedule it looks like he is heading to the playoffs in his first year and the Colts are going to be the team nobody wants to play. Great job Frank Reich.

Hiring a defense minded coach in the new NFL where offense is King is the biggest mistake made so far by the Pegulas.

https://buffalonews.com/2018/11/06/letter-bills-made-wrong-choice-by-not-hiring-frank-reich/

You're either in 3rd grade, or 80 years old.. So don't worry my Grandpa says all sorts of crazy things too.

17 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

If you’re saying instead of Rex ok, I’ll agree. They did interview him after all at that point, when he was with the chargers... but they let him leave the building.

As for now,  McDermott has thus far accomplished more with less

Yes, back when Marone left. They missed on him 2x.

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

huh?

maybe you aren't aware of Andy's propensity to fall to pieces in any close game's final minutes

someone pointed out he had all 3 time outs and got the ball back in the last two minutes recently, maybe the first time in his coaching career he managed this

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

maybe you aren't aware of Andy's propensity to fall to pieces in any close game's final minutes

someone pointed out he had all 3 time outs and got the ball back in the last two minutes recently, maybe the first time in his coaching career he managed this

I'm well aware.   It's legendary.

Maybe I misread your post as saying a coach can only choke when they are favored to win going into the game, because obviously that's not what choking refers to.