November 4th and still counting (WNY Win Streak)

SoCal Deek

1 minute ago, WRONG JOSH said:

I don't follow them as closely as the Bills but the bulk of their team is young up and coming players with a few veterans mixed in. Same formula the Browns are currently deploying. The Bills by contrast have a lot of old guys on big contracts and then some mid level young guys. It's not a recipe for long term success which is how I feel the sabres and browns are built. The bills have been bad for so long that we should have acquired a bunch of blue Chip prospects by now but we haven't 

100% agree.  i just hate the term "tanking" and dont believe they ever did minus the year they drafted eichel.....which they should have mcdavid but got screwed in the picks.

i just dont think that "tanking" in the nfl has the same effect it does in the nhl or nba,  way too many other pieces to be considered

11 minutes ago, Moulds_80 said:

100% agree.  i just hate the term "tanking" and dont believe they ever did minus the year they drafted eichel.....which they should have mcdavid but got screwed in the picks.

i just dont think that "tanking" in the nfl has the same effect it does in the nhl or nba,  way too many other pieces to be considered

I think the Browns are proving it now. They have some really good pieces now after years of being bad and they are all coming into their own at the same time. Not only do I think they will be a playoff team next year but I think they could win the division

21 minutes ago, WRONG JOSH said:

I think the Browns are proving it now. They have some really good pieces now after years of being bad and they are all coming into their own at the same time. Not only do I think they will be a playoff team next year but I think they could win the division

As of now they are proving nothing. If they do make the playoffs next year then they might be. 

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

As of now they are proving nothing. If they do make the playoffs next year then they might be. 

I don't how you have come to the conclusion that they haven't made major strides. The franchise has secured a qb who without question is a franchise qb who is capable of being the exciting leader of a franchise that is more known for its foibles than successes. 

The Browns got rid of their inept HC and have exhibited  an ability to compete with anyone. Their current record of 4-6-1 could have just as easily been 7-4. I'm aware that "what ifs' are for losers but the point is that this once very dreadful franchise that  won one game in the prior two seasons is making a dramatic turnaround. 

Gunner, use some eye wash to clean your very jaundiced eyes. I assure you that you will see much more clearly. 

Great to see the Bills win a couple games but they are still not a very good football team. The run defense is more of a concern than even the offense right now. 

The Sabres however are the first serious threat to win a championship for Buffalo since the crushing loss in 1999. They are the real deal.

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't how you have come to the conclusion that they haven't made major strides. The franchise has secured a qb who without question is a franchise qb who is capable of being the exciting leader of a franchise that is more known for its foibles than successes. 

The Browns got rid of their inept HC and have exhibited  an ability to compete with anyone. Their current record of 4-6-1 could have just as easily been 7-4. I'm aware that "what ifs' are for losers but the point is that this once very dreadful franchise that  won one game in the prior two seasons is making a dramatic turnaround. 

Gunner, use some eye wash to clean your very jaundiced eyes. I assure you that you will see much more clearly. 

They have improved and I love some of the players on that team. They haven't proved tanking works. They might. But they haven't yet. The only way you prove anything John is wins and losses. 4-6-1 proves nothing. 

I am not saying they won't prove it. Just they haven't yet. People on this board are in such a rush to proclaim things. Let it play out. 

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Only dissapointing thing is the bills record. Sabres will absolutely be in the playoffs at this pace, bills need a miracle and a half. After last year's playoff berth anything is possible though 

They need to beat the Patriots, and even after that need a miracle. So really it is like 3 miracles the Bills need.

54 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They have improved and I love some of the players on that team. They haven't proved tanking works. They might. But they haven't yet. The only way you prove anything John is wins and losses. 4-6-1 proves nothing. 

I am not saying they won't prove it. Just they haven't yet. People on this board are in such a rush to proclaim things. Let it play out.

I'm not making any major declarations. What I am saying and it should apparent to all is that they have made a dramatic leap forward especially when you consider where they were in the previous two years. It's highly unusual that consistently bad teams go from being bad to being very good. However, that doesn't mean that you can't recognize that they have in a major way moved up the ranks. 

We both agree that tanking doesn't usually work in the NFL. On the other hand what usually elevates a downtrodden team is getting a franchise qb. With the drafting of Mayfield I considered that issue resolved. When you have a roster that has known nothing but losing it is not unexpected that the turnaround comes in stages. In my opinion I believe that with Mayfield and the departure of the prior failed coach that this team is ready to take a step forward. 

I'm confident that by the time this season concludes you will be more receptive to what I am saying about the Browns. 

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

I'm not making any major declarations. What I am saying and it should apparent to all is that they have made a dramatic leap forward especially when you consider where they were in the previous two years. It's highly unusual that consistently bad teams go from being bad to being very good. However, that doesn't mean that you can't recognize that they have in a major way moved up the ranks. 

We both agree that tanking doesn't usually work in the NFL. On the other hand what usually elevates a downtrodden team is getting a franchise qb. With the drafting of Mayfield I considered that issue resolved. When you have a roster that has known nothing but losing it is not unexpected that the turnaround comes in stages. In my opinion I believe that with Mayfield and the departure of the prior failed coach that this team is ready to take a step forward. 

I'm confident that by the time this season concludes you will be more receptive to what I am saying about the Browns. 

No I won't John because to prove (and focus on that word - prove) anything they have to at the very least go to the playoffs. 

Improving from 1-31 to say 6-9-1 is a positive step. But it isn't proving that tanking worked. 

The Browns have a lot of good young players - but to prove tanking works they need to become contenders - because they had plenty of 6 win seasons without going 1-31 before that. 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No I won't John because to prove (and focus on that word - prove) anything they have to at the very least go to the playoffs. 

Improving from 1-31 to say 6-9-1 is a positive step. But it isn't proving that tanking worked. 

The Browns have a lot of good young players - but to prove tanking works they need to become contenders - because they had plenty of 6 win seasons without going 1-31 before that. 

I respectfully but strenuously disagree with your stance. When you flounder for more than a decade because of your own organizational ineptitude and then get to the point where you reached a line of demarcation where the tide has turned I consider that progress. That's how teams become successful. They do it in stages. I believe that they have gotten to that point where they are moving forward instead of being stuck in the mud. 

Gunner, you are great. However, you are a recalcitrant. :)

34 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I respectfully but strenuously disagree with your stance. When you flounder for more than a decade because of your own organizational ineptitude and then get to the point where you reached a line of demarcation where the tide has turned I consider that progress. That's how teams become successful. They do it in stages. I believe that they have gotten to that point where they are moving forward instead of being stuck in the mud. 

Gunner, you are great. However, you are a recalcitrant. :)

They have got to the point where they are moving forward. But surely you accept that proof can only come once they at least make the playoffs? Surely? I mean that is self evident.

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They have got to the point where they are moving forward. But surely you accept that proof can only come once they at least make the playoffs? Surely? I mean that is self evident.

Absolutely not! The Bills made the playoffs in McDermott's first year. What did it mean? . It was a positive accomplishment but it didn't represent that much other than a non-playoff caliber of team overachieved and fortuitously squeaked into the playoffs. It was a fluke. The reality was that it was the first year culling process for a four year rebuilding project. My point is simply just making the playoffs doesn't represent as much as you are ascribing it to be.

What is more meaningful is good qb play and turning the corner to the point that your team is capable of winning against any team. That is where I believe Cleveland is at now. And I find that ability to consistently compete against all teams the line of demarcation where the team is definitely in a more positive situation. 

Gunner, you are stupendous. However, you are obstinate. :) 

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What is more meaningful is good qb play and turning the corner to the point that your team is capable of winning against any team. That is where I believe Cleveland is at now. And I find that ability to consistently compete against all teams the line of demarcation where the team is definitely in a more positive situation. 

Gunner, you are stupendous. However, you are obstinate. :) 

Well you can believe that all you like... at the moment they are 4-6-1 so it certainly isn't proved. It is just your belief.