Week 13's edition of Rating the job security of every NFL head coach: Who's on thin ice?

If we sweep Miami and the Jets maybe we could get both coaches fired. Losing to the Bills lately seems to cost people their jobs just ask Nate Hackett. Dougie Fresh probably gets another year, but their owner should be looking at the off-the-field issues in London with some of their players and the Fournette brawl and ask Stalag Coughlin and St. Doug "where's the discipline?"

2 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

If so then I say Merilu Henner is the next great coaching prospect.

Like McVay she is another one of those people that can remember every day of their life.  

220px-Marilu_Henner_2011.jpg

@TheBeane

Beane, people like MckVay and Henner are crazy...you can pick any moment or day in their life and they can remember what they did or were doing.

They've quizzed MckVay on plays called years before in games and he has gotten them right...and not just big plays.

Thanks for the clarification!  That's freaking crazy.  I also had no idea who Merilu Henner was either though and had to do an imdb search haha.

5 minutes ago, TheBeane said:

Thanks for the clarification!  That's freaking crazy.  I also had no idea who Merilu Henner was either though and had to do an imdb search haha.

and, TheBeane, I'm telling you they asked MckVay during an interview during Real Sports something like "What did you do in 2015, on the third series, on second down in the second quarter at midfield , the fourth game of the season against Miami?"

MckVay: "yeah, we called a TE crossing pattern."

...and then they show the clip and it is what they ran.

Freaky.

Henner has done interviews on this for years.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Gettleman and Shurmur are in their first season as GM and HC.  I doubt they get fired, even with the bad year that NYG has had.

I was gonna say, I thought the Giants just cleaned house.  They will draft their QB in April and be off on their rebuild.

I'm not sure what it will take for Marvin Lewis to be fired.  At this point I just assume it'll never happen.

4 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

My only quibble would be with Marvin Lewis; it was hit or miss for a minute before this season if he would be coming back so in light of the latest Bengals implosion I’d say move him back to DEFCON 5 hot. However, ownership has already given him more undeserved longevity than that enjoyed by the highway robber Hue Jackson (ironically now employed by the same FO so that’s about as guaranteed job security outside of a federal government job as you can get), so you’re probably right that your current group of 5’s still go first, especially Bowles, aka the anti-Batman of “Gotham City” ?

If they fire Lewis and keep Hue as HC...  they are certainly DOOMED 

4 hours ago, eball said:

I agree -- I just think because of the relationship with Coughlin he'll survive at least one more year.  At the end of the day, though, I don't think he's a very good head coach.  Some may believe I feel that way because of how he left Buffalo but it's not that at all.  He has not proven himself to be anything other than a roughly .500 coach in 4+ seasons, and he has had elite defenses at both places.

Coughlin saved his sorry butt last season.  

He can't carry him forever.  

• Like (+1) 1

The counter to this thread on ESPN

The hottest NFL coaching candidates: Don't rule out Josh McDaniels

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/HotRead-20181128/hottest-nfl-head-coaching-candidates-2018-2019-next-wave-coaches

Bounce-backers

These are current head coaches who could lose their jobs but find new ones elsewhere quickly.

John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens. There's a strong consensus that a team (Denver?) would jump to hire Harbaugh if the Ravens miss the playoffs for the fourth year in a row and decide to move on.

Mike McCarthy, Green Bay Packers. A little more skepticism around McCarthy as an immediate, Andy Reid-style bounce-back, but it's possible, and he has a lot of friends in that Cleveland front office.

Josh McDaniels screwed over the Colts  because the Cheats "talked him out of it" with a promise to replace BB. 

30 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

With Dan Snyder's history of firing coaches following short tenures, it's interesting that Gruden is still around.

I think if they don't win the division and miss the playoffs this year he's gone considering it's a weak division.  They may give him the Alex Smith got hurt benefit of the doubt, but they've been a mediocre team the last four seasons with only one playoff game to show for it.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I think if they don't win the division and miss the playoffs this year he's gone considering it's a weak division.  They may give him the Alex Smith got hurt benefit of the doubt, but they've been a mediocre team the last four seasons with only one playoff game to show for it.

That seems to be what saved his bacon before.  Making the playoffs