I may have been wrong about McCaffrey

Dadonkadonk

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

And by the time the Rams got good, Gurley was at the end of his rookie deal and needed a huge contract. But it worked out for them anyway. 

Yeah, I was thinking this after posting.. It's basically just a risk of public opinion.  If you know what your'e doing (ie building a championship NFL roster), then I think you can justify it.  But if you were any of the previous Bills regimes... or Browns... or Raiders... you'd just look like an idiot for taking the RB after it fails.

EDIT: Oh I got your point... so best case scenario, you have a big contract tied into a RB even if you do it right....and now you are gambling on a RB ability to stay healthy in order for your 'winning-window' stay open.

Edited by Jobot

11 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Yeah, I was thinking this after posting.. It's basically just a risk of public opinion.  If you know what your'e doing (ie building a championship NFL roster), then I think you can justify it.  But if you were any of the previous Bills regimes... or Browns... or Raiders... you'd just look like an idiot for taking the RB after it fails.

EDIT: Oh I got your point... so best case scenario, you have a big contract tied into a RB even if you do it right....and now you are gambling on a RB ability to stay healthy in order for your 'winning-window' stay open.

think QB, not RB.... since 1983....

if you want to win...

Some thoughts on McCaffrey:

*  I figured he would shine in the NFL based on his work at Stanford.  I also figured that it would depend on where he landed whether he would be good or elite.  I prayed that NE didn't draft him as he would probably be working on his 2nd consecutive 1,000/1,000 yard season and killing us in the process! 

*  I actually thought Carolina was a poor fit as Cam Newton isn't exactly known for his soft touch and check-down passes.  That he's put up the receiving numbers that he has shows me that Cam has matured and that McCaffrey must be open on almost every play.  The other element going on here is that the Panthers run the read option with Newton/McCaffrey to perfection.  I think that Shady & Allen could also be dangerous running this type of play more often.

*  When you talk about whether McCaffrey was worth a top 10 first round pick consider this little factoid.  Down here Cincinnati in 2017 the Bengals drafted wide receiver John Ross #9, right after McCaffrey was taken by Carolina.  I remember folks saying at the time how the Panthers had picked CMAC to high and that the Bengals got the better offensive player in the speedster Ross.  Well Ross couldn't break into the starting line-up his rookie year and while he's been starting this year his career receptions stand at 14 catches for 176 yards & 5 TD's.  McCaffrey a RUNNING BACK who will likely hit 1,000 yards rushing this year has career RECEIVING numbers (including 1 playoff game) of 157 catches for 1362 yards & 11 TD's!  Just goes to show that draft picks in any round are a crap shoot. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

How could you guys ever have doubted Mccaffrey? Probably doubted Kuechly as well:/ Wish McBeane and McD would've gotten these guys on our team. Two of my favorite nonbills

Hindsight is always perfect

thanks for telling us you knew he was gold all along

21 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

It is still a small sample size, but the kid looks legit.  I still think he was not worth a top 10 draft pick but so far he has performed better than I expected.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2807879-christian-mccaffrey-has-become-an-nfl-superstar-before-our-eyes?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

Exactly my thought about taking Fournette instead of Ed in fantasy 

15 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

???????????

You are writing a post suggesting you MAY have been wrong about this guy.  You clearly were.

BUT then say one of the most illogical mind bending things I have ever read on this board,  " I still think he was not worth a top 10 draft pick "

Last year:  McCaffrey had over 1,000 yards rushing and receiving

This year, his second year in the league:   over 800 yards rushing (4.9 yards per rush) and 600 yards receivingWith five games left in the season.

Your original post and prediction was awful yes, based on what looks like very little knowledge of this guy's college career.  So, ignorance of the facts clearly shown then.  But forgivable maybe.

This post is much worse, showing much more ignorance than the original.  One would think you would have known the facts, and understood them, before writing this laughable post.

I'd hate to have a guy like this poster anywhere near my football team. Stating McCaffrey is not worth a top 10 draft pick in a post where he is saying he was wrong about him pre-draft!!

Will you come back again in a few weeks, or early next year, and then tell us that you MAY have been wrong about the much more ridiculous statement in this post?

So what was your opinion of CJ Spiller after year 2?  How did that work out in the long run?  As of right now he looks like the real deal but so did Spiller.  But as it looks now the kid seems to be  a star in the making.  

I would not use a top 10 pick on a RB ever.  So yes I still think he was not worth a top 10 draft pick.  

13 hours ago, row_33 said:

Agreed

small sample size is just a term losers use when they were wrong again

it never ends with those people....

LOL... want to have a contest on who can name more players that flamed out after early success?  I will go first Spiller, Vince Young, RG3,  Kelvin Benjamin,  Karlos Williams.  Your turn.

19 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Which of the players you listed were “underrated”

JJ and TJ, Gronk, Kuechly, Kerrigan, Clay, for sure by scouts and GMs.

By fans? All of the above. At least GMs drafted Bosa and McCaffrey pretty high.

I still had McCaffrey higher than where he went though.

Edited by Sherlock Holmes

11 minutes ago, bills in oregon said:

I would love to have him right now instead of Shady.

...size and durability issues coming out if used the same way in the NFL vs Stanford were the questions.....kid has pretty much put those concerns aside....he can flat out play and produce IMO..........