I may have been wrong about McCaffrey

Dadonkadonk

44 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Didnt know anything about him coming out of college...watched his preseason. 

Looked pretty solid, but didnt think hed be tough enough

he and his QB built a little option system that terrorized most opponents

i wasn't sure this was going to smoothly transition into the game the men play

10 minutes ago, PurpLegacy said:

Well, I hope you don't have to evaluate applicants for jobs wherever you work. Still not worth a top 10 pick? If he were on the Bills he would be the leading rusher, receiver, and scorer by a large margin. For your Joey Bosa prediction, he was 20 years old when drafted and weighed 270 lbs at 6'5". He's probably grown another inch and now weighs 280 lbs. Good on you for owning up but damn man haha. 

Odd thing with Bosa - he played at 290 at Ohio state because he played both inside and outside on the DL. He dropped 20 lbs to run faster at the combine and wanted to work out at both OLB and DE. He still ended up not running a very good 40. He knew he wasn’t going to play inside in the nfl so he got really lean. I don’t know if he grew an inch, but he was always listed 6’6 in college, and then measured 6’5 at the combine. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I would still never take an RB in the 1st round. I could probably live with it after pick 16 but definitely never before that. They don't have a long enough shelf life and you can find great RBs in the late rounds more than any other position.

has to be an immortal to go first round

maybe watching during the 70s and 80s led me to believe they were a lot more common than they honestly were?

34 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I would still never take an RB in the 1st round. I could probably live with it after pick 16 but definitely never before that. They don't have a long enough shelf life and you can find great RBs in the late rounds more than any other position.

Elite playmakers will always go high in the draft. While I question a team like the Giants getting Barkley, he's clearly been a tremendous player and will be a major help to their new QB. 

The league is transitioning toward RBs that have equal ability running and catching the ball, with the ability to line up anywhere on the field. Barkley, Kamara, Hunt and McCaffery are the new ideal. I don't think you can count on finding those guys outside the 1st long term. As teams wisen up, Hunt & Kamara types are NOT going to fall through the cracks. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JinxedBill1 said:

Agreed he is doing better than I thought. Good for the kid.

if Shady would stop dancing behind the line he might be like him too.  Jmo 

I think Shady dances around because he knows he'd get injured running like a normal tailback.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

100 percent agree.

Bell- 2nd round pick, McCoy 2nd, Kamara 3rd, Hunt 3rd, David Johnson, 3rd.

Those are good/elite level running backs that were picked past the 1st round.

Others that were picked mid/late: Chris Carson, Mack, Conner, Freeman, Lindsay and Breida undrafted

No way I pick a  RB in the top 10, I don't care how good he is. 

Edited by billsfan11

2 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

100 percent agree.

Bell- 2nd round pick, McCoy 2nd, Kamara, 3rd, Hunt, 3rd, David Johnson, 3rd.

Those are good/elite level running backs that were picked past the 1st round.

Others that were picked mid/late: Chris Carson, Mack, Conner, Freeman, Lindsay and Breida undrafted

No way I pick a  RB in the top 10, I don't care how good he is. 

The problem is that you're likely a bad team if you're picking in the top-5 to top-10... and you likely have more pressing needs then RB.

Now... give Saquon or Zeek or Gurley to an already playoff contender... I think it's a no brainer to take that talent high in the draft.

Edited by Jobot
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

McCaffery is what Reggie Bush should have been, good enough in between the tackles and an elite player as a receiver of the backfield.

The Panthers use McCaffery as a weapon on offense as opposed to just having him be a standard running back. 

I just wish the BILLS would use SHADY the same way!

And put Ivory in there at the same time once in a while. Keep these D guessing!

And as for McCaffery, he's been good since Day One, so not sure I get the timing of this thread!

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, yungmack said:

The only way anyone would think he'd be a bust or not worth the pick is if they never really watched him at Stanford. Should have been the Heisman winner.

He was absolutely unreal at Stanford. One of the best collegiate players I've ever seen. 

9 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

He was absolutely unreal at Stanford. One of the best collegiate players I've ever seen. 

which means didddly squat for the NFL, sadly way tooooooooooooooooo often....

41 minutes ago, Jobot said:

The problem is that you're likely a bad team if you're picking in the top-5 to top-10... and you likely have more pressing needs then RB.

Now... give Saquon or Zeek or Gurley to an already playoff contender... I think it's a no brainer to take that talent high in the draft.

And by the time the Rams got good, Gurley was at the end of his rookie deal and needed a huge contract. But it worked out for them anyway. 

Saquon is the exception. I loooooovveee Shady, but overall I think OLinemen are more important to the run game. Just look at the Steelers this year or even McCoy without Incognito... But Saquon is a superstar, no doubt. So is McCaffrey but very different players. I thought the Giants were dumb to pick him with the 2nd overall pick but he is that good. Add the signing of Solder, one would have thought the Giants really improved this year! Goes to show even seemingly good plans don't always produce...

16 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Saquon is the exception. I loooooovveee Shady, but overall I think OLinemen are more important to the run game. Just look at the Steelers this year or even McCoy without Incognito... But Saquon is a superstar, no doubt. So is McCaffrey but very different players. I thought the Giants were dumb to pick him with the 2nd overall pick but he is that good. Add the signing of Solder, one would have thought the Giants really improved this year! Goes to show even seemingly good plans don't always produce...

Yep.

Even Todd Gurley.

Averaged 3.2 per carry a few years ago with under 1000 yards.

Rams re build their o line (as well as the brilliance of McVay) and boom. Suddenly he’s a superstar and a potential MVP candidate.

The thing about McCaffery that many overlook is that he's not an RB, he's an RB/Receiver hybred and an elite threat at both. The only other player in the league like him is LeVeon Bell. His receiver ability had as much or more to do with his high draft slot. 

Edited by yungmack

He's legit, but as to drafting RBs in the first I kinda agree w/you...value isn't there imo. I'm generally opposed to taking a running back before the 3rd. 

2 minutes ago, yungmack said:

The thing about McCaffery that many overlook is that he's not an RB, he's an RB/Receiver hybred and an elite threat at both. The only other player in the league like him is LeVeon Bell. 

Agree, but there are cheaper albeit less effective options/examples of his breed of RB you can find around the NFL and in the draft that don't require a high pick...Tarik Cohen and Chris Thompson are a couple of examples of really versatile backs.