Reuben Foster has been claimed by Redskins; girlfriend says she was lying when recanted claims from Feb. incident

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Once you get to  the point where one was lying about lying it’s a indecipherable mess. 

When end it comes to DV it makes me wonder if they just restructure the law to require some sort polygraph, especially for this type of scenario or  for the dismissal of charges.

Polygraphs aren't admissible in court for good reason.

Good article on the flawed premise of lie detector tests, if interested.  The fundamental thing is they don't measure deception - they measure physiological stress responses.  "People being interviewed with a polygraph are likely to feel stressed. So whilst the polygraph is quite good at identifying lies, it is not very good at identifying truths," she says. "Testing victims is a whole different ball game because of the nature of what they're being asked about, you would expect a lot of arousal anyway," he says. This means a victim, especially one recounting a traumatic experience, may appear as if they are lying because they are in an emotional state.

I have two comments on DV and football, then I'll back away:

I.  I think the key thing for DV would be funding to make counseling and support freely available to anyone making a DV call or complaint, and in fact reaching out to them at least 3 times with offers.  People confuse it with "blaming the victim" but in fact a lot of the social dynamics behind the cycle of abuse are well known.  Let's look at a description of the pre-event behavior with Hill:

" Hill, then a 20-year-old star returner and wide receiver at Oklahoma State, was at his apartment with his girlfriend, who was eight weeks pregnant with their child, when she received a text message from someone saying that Hill had been “hitting on high schoolers.” According to the police report and court testimony, Hill threw her phone and laptop into the hallway and shut her out of his room. When she re-entered, [emphasis mine]. 

I have a daughter.  If she were with a guy and he threw her stuff into the hallway and shut her out of his room, I would want her to GTFO.  Call a friend, call an Uber, call a DV hotline if she needs someplace to stay - just Go, and Don't Come Back (except maybe with two large friends to get the rest of your stuff).  Disrespect you once, don't come back for a 2nd helping, You're Done.

II. I think the most helpful thing that could possibly be done for these uber-talented athletes is to start way back in middle and high school with coaches, teachers, and other authority figures expecting and enforcing good behavior.  When my kid was dating a football player, she marveled at it all the time how he was known for leaving class (bathroom, get something) and wandering around the halls for half the class period.    I told her it's a real problem for him.  She gave me the goggle-eye teenager "huh?" look, "why is it a problem for him to get extra privileges I wouldn't get?"

My point was, that sooner or later in life, the special treatment wears off, and the later it wears off the bigger the problem for the athlete.

If they are going to throw people out of the league for domestic violence (As long as video of it is released), they just need to implement a policy stating that anyone involved in such acts, whether it be before entering the league or after, cannot be employed in the league. 

I believe in redemption, however this isn't your average everyday job.   Bottom line is the NFL comes off as hypocrites when Ray Rice couldn't get back in the league but Tyreek Hill likely makes the Pro Bowl this year.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And this, in a nutshell, is why people who try to work with domestic abuse victims have such a challenge. 

Victim recants for (reason) [love him, don't want to ruin his career, afraid he'll do worse when he gets out, he said he was sorry and promised he'd change]

Abuse recurs.  Victim admits recantation was a lie in the face of new abuse. 

For the NFL, add in the possibility of $$$ to the victim to make them go away a la Hardy.

Prosecutors hate it because now you have a crime with a victim who has zero credibility.

Police hate DV calls because anything can and does happen, including the victim doing a "flip" and going after the cops who are "taking my man away"

Counselors and other professionals who work with these cases need the Patience of Job and more.

I am sick to death of the NFL pretending to care about this stuff. 

Either formulate a clear and consistent policy then follow it consistently, or STFU about it because the "zero tolerance" policy clearly isn't - it's influenced by all sorts of factors including whether or not TMZ has video the NFL in theory could have obtained, but didn't try to.

I have a friend who is a cop and stated exactly this.  Hates going on these calls.  The worst is gay couples because you have the emotions going out of control but in a man's body...meaning men are stronger and cause more harm to each other physically....you have two of them in a DV case.  Told me that they are the worst fights, the most bloody.

He also told me to be careful stepping if you see a couple, male and female, having a serious fight where you think the guy could get physical with her.  The guy could be posing a threat but as you say, the girl loves him and doesn't want anything bad to happen to him....she'll turn on you.  Said it happens more than you think...the woman will make up a story and even though you're trying to help her...she'll turn on you.

On 11/28/2018 at 2:23 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Hahahaha this is one of the worst posts and replies I’ve ever read on any topic ever on this board...ever...and I mean that with 100% sincerity, not to be funny.  Thanks for the chuckle.  

Not one word of it is even worth discussing.  

But don’t worry, I wont hold this absurd post against you as a poster overall :) 

I'm starting to come around on you. Just hope your boy builds on that performance Sunday.

23 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm starting to come around on you. Just hope your boy builds on that performance Sunday.

:beer:

As Bills Fans, let’s all hope he does too!  If he does the future will be very bright!  At same time, he’s a rookie playing on an offense with a lot of needs, so not gonna jump ship if he has a hiccup here and there.  

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

:beer:

As Bills Fans, let’s all hope he does too!  If he does the future will be very bright!  At same time, he’s a rookie playing on an offense with a lot of needs, so not gonna jump ship if he has a hiccup here and there.  

I like to think I judge him fairly.

It's not like he's been a lights out passer these last two games. But he's definitely shown enough flashes to engender confidence that he could very well be the guy. All I wanted to see was that flash of greatness. Wouldn't be surprised if he had a hiccup or 3 this season. That's fine for a rookie. The only thing I don't want to see is JA being gunshy. I'd rather see him throw some picks while taking chances than eating the ball and trying to run 50 yards with no time on the clock like the Peterman.

Let it rip bro.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1