Kyle Williams & Lorenzo Alexanders Future ?

T master

If either wants to continue playing I can’t see any way they don’t offer them a deal. I think they’re already quite deep at tackle so Kyle as a rotational guy certainly does not hurt. Linebacker I fully expect to see addressed in draft or free agency for a stud to pair with cookie and 49.. Lorax can play special teams too so he has value regardless of his actual role. Both are at very worst worthy of decent one year deals as key vet rotational players. I expect to see new starters/upgrades though still 

Keep both.  Both are leaders in the locker room and can pass along vast knowledge to every building block that we draft and sign this off season.  Both should be Bills until they decide to retire.  Heart and Soul players matter.  

I think what you'll hear out of Williams is similar to last year. He wants to take some time, talk things over with his family etc. etc. I think ultimately it comes down to whether he thinks the team is going to be a contender in 2019. He certainly will have the ability. Whether he has the desire we have to wait and see. I don't think he gives much thought to his future during the course of a season. I think if he felt this was his last year, we would have already heard rumblings about it.

Alexander has already said on One Bills Live that he would like to play another two years and would like to stay with the Bills but he understands it's a business and he'll address his situation in the off season.

Personally, I think Beane and McDermott would like to have both players back on deals that work for both sides. It affords them the opportunity to be able to focus on other areas of need. I share this thought process. There are plenty of areas that need to be addressed in Free Agency and the Draft. Why add two more positions to the mix.

Edited by RobH063
  • Thank you (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

This is common sense?  They both can still play and have remained healthy all season.  Who expects to be considered a cripple or replacement next year because their a year older?

Yeah 36 year old DTs are going to have injuries even on a reduced snap count. Just because they have been fortunate this season doesn’t mean it will happen next year.

The odds always even out. The rotation has helped preserve him but counting on him going forward would be a mistake.

I think Kyle will retire at seasons end anyways. 

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

They are old enough that it won’t matter to me either way. By next year I don’t expect either would remain healthy for another full 16 games and if they did it most of it would be played at replacement level.

Lorax and Kyle both should be offered a coaching/mentor position. They represent the culture that it takes to win. 

This is a ridiculous post.  You just assume they won't be able to remain healthy despite both having a great track record of being healthy?  You don't just fall apart when you hit your mid thirties.  These guys are two of the hardest working out there and I don't see anything that shows that they are going to be significantly more prone to injuries next season as compared to this one.  They might lose a little bit in their ability but just assuming another year will make them unable to avoid injury is complete nonsense. 

I think the Bills should be looking to sign them each for one more season.  Even if we add new players and they have reduced roles, I think having them both around for one more year would be beneficial to the defense.

4 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

This is a ridiculous post.  You just assume they won't be able to remain healthy despite both having a great track record of being healthy?  You don't just fall apart when you hit your mid thirties.  These guys are two of the hardest working out there and I don't see anything that shows that they are going to be significantly more prone to injuries next season as compared to this one.  They might lose a little bit in their ability but just assuming another year will make them unable to avoid injury is complete nonsense. 

I think the Bills should be looking to sign them each for one more season.  Even if we add new players and they have reduced roles, I think having them both around for one more year would be beneficial to the defense.

36 Y/O Kyle Williams or Jordan Phillips? Or Dirty Harry in his second year? Like I said above the rotation has allowed Kyle to extend his career. Fast forward another year he is an average DT at best. Our love for Kyle isn’t going to stop Father Time. 

Counting on him or Lorax to play significant downs would be a mistake. I’d offer both of them reduced roles and contracts and then a position with the team. 

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
13 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

36 Y/O Kyle Williams or Jordan Phillips? Or Dirty Harry in his second year? Like I said above the rotation has allowed Kyle to extend his career. Fast forward another year he is an average DT at best. Our love for Kyle isn’t going to stop Father Time. 

Counting on him or Lorax to play significant downs would be a mistake. I’d offer both of them reduced roles and contracts and then a position with the team. 

Kyle was pretty dominant Sunday, that said he could easily hit the wall next season and be done.  That is why if you are going to bring him back it would have to be at a reduced salary.  But the notion that his injury risk is going to significantly go up from age 35-36 and that is a reason not to bring him back imo is not valid.  Also why would bringing back Kyle negate the Bills from being able to re-sign Jordan Phillips?

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

8 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Kyle was pretty dominant Sunday, that said he could easily hit the wall next season and be done.  That is why if you are going to bring him back it would have to be at a reduced salary.  But the notion that his injury risk is going to significantly go up from age 35-36 and that is a reason not to bring him back imo is not valid.  Also why would bringing back Kyle negate the Bills from being able to re-sign Jordan Phillips?

No one said it would negate brining Phillips back, when Kyle is on the field Harrison, Star or Phillips won’t be on it. 

The injury risk is already sky high. Again, A reduced role and salary would be ideal if he doesn’t retire. His knowledge and personality is worth it even if he is only playing 10 snaps

a game. I’m just not sure he would agree to that.

I think McBeane have likely determined that these guys have a job here for as long as they'd like. They can keep doing one-year deals if these guys wanna keep playing. In addition to their on-field production, I'm certain McDermott views their experience and leadership as invaluable to his locker room. 

If they finish the season trending upward, I think both guys would have an interest in coming back for one more go 'round to see where they can go in 2019 with the youth movement that will have some experience under their belts by then.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, offyourocker said:

I think Kyle would be good on another 1 year contract.  The LB free agent pool is pretty strong so I imagine they will look to replace Lorax with a long term starter option.

SI's recent mock for next year has the Bills taking a lb #1........they failed to consider Milano in their drivel about the Bills lb situation.  Oh well....

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

No one said it would negate brining Phillips back

"36 Y/O Kyle Williams or Jordan Phillips?"