Mic'd Up: Tremaine Edmunds vs. the Jaguars

26CornerBlitz

Too much is made of the age aspect..........he played 3 years at VA Tech and was raised by an NFL father and the Bills have had plenty of players in that 20-21 range step right in and play a lot better( the hated trio of Watkins/Dareus/Lynch for example).

Edmunds has been a disappointment based on the hype.........not sure if his lack of instincts and stoutness against the run will work long term as an every down MLB.........but I still like his chances of being a stud player be it at MLB or as an edge player.   Lot's of talent.

Milano looks like he's be about to crack up laughing from listening to the pep talk. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

When I was 20 I was smoking bongs and drinking Milwaukee's Best out of a mop bucket at college... nightly.

Edmunds is slightly more impressive than I was at his age.

How do you know that's not how he spends his off days?

38 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Too much is made of the age aspect..........he played 3 years at VA Tech and was raised by an NFL father and the Bills have had plenty of players in that 20-21 range step right in and play a lot better( the hated trio of Watkins/Dareus/Lynch for example).

Edmunds has been a disappointment based on the hype.........not sure if his lack of instincts and stoutness against the run will work long term as an every down MLB.........but I still like his chances of being a stud player be it at MLB or as an edge player.   Lot's of talent.

To be fair it’s a lot harder to be a 20 year old MLB than a WR or DE which Dareus played when he arrived

25 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

To be fair it’s a lot harder to be a 20 year old MLB than a WR or DE which Dareus played when he arrived

That's false.

MLB has always been a position where highly rated young players are more likely to come out playing at a VERY HIGH level............like for instance Luke Keuchly leading the NFL in tackles as a rookie or Brian Urlacher having a DPOY type rookie year. 

Even our own former 3rd round pick Preston Brown hit the ground running as a rookie MLB in a 4-3.   

Some of you get carried away with calling it "the quarterback of the defense" when it tends to be more like the "running back of the defense" in terms of initial quality of play. 

Which really reflects how much of the position is about the instinctive play that Edmunds is not showing.

WR and DL traditionally tend to have a MUCH harder time adjusting to the pros and putting up big time production as rookies.

In fact Watkins near 1,000 yard season was a pretty significant accomplishment at the time........that was a rare class of WR.    

1 hour ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

Milano looks like he's be about to crack up laughing from listening to the pep talk. 

How do you know that's not how he spends his off days?

Yea I noticed that about Milano. He was trying not  not laugh. Haha

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's false.

MLB has always been a position where highly rated young players are more likely to come out playing at a VERY HIGH level............like for instance Luke Keuchly leading the NFL in tackles as a rookie or Brian Urlacher having a DPOY type rookie year. 

Even our own former 3rd round pick Preston Brown hit the ground running as a rookie MLB in a 4-3.   

Some of you get carried away with calling it "the quarterback of the defense" when it tends to be more like the "running back of the defense" in terms of initial quality of play. 

Which really reflects how much of the position is about the instinctive play that Edmunds is not showing.

WR and DL traditionally tend to have a MUCH harder time adjusting to the pros and putting up big time production as rookies.

In fact Watkins near 1,000 yard season was a pretty significant accomplishment at the time........that was a rare class of WR.    

I’m sorry but you’re wrong.

Urlacher was 22 as a rookie. Keuchly May have led the league in tackles, but he wasn’t All Pro Keuchly 

Tremaine is 20. You are out of your mind if you don’t think that’s a young starting MLB... you just compared him to 2 HoFrs

Yes it’s much easier to be a 20 year old WR than a 20 year old MLB. You don’t see 20 year olds starting in the NFL hardly regardless of position.

Most rookie WRs don’t put up stats because they don’t get Thrown too enough to put up stats. Most rookies aren’t immediately given the #1

And it’s much harder to be an everdown MLB as a rookie than DE. its a joke you even mention Preston Brown , he sucks. 130 tackles 10 yards down the field is really good production. He sucked as a rookie and never got much better 

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Preston sucked as a rookie?

What were you watching? 

He was never great. That’s why he wasn’t retained

There are 11 starters on defense.. his rookie year he was arguably 11 out of 11. Maybe 10th best

he wasn’t the reason they were good. Bradham was a much better LBr

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I’m sorry but you’re wrong.

Urlacher was 22 as a rookie. Keuchly May have led the league in tackles, but he wasn’t All Pro Keuchly 

Tremaine is 20. You are out of your mind if you don’t think that’s a young starting MLB... you just compared him to 2 HoFrs

Yes it’s much easier to be a 20 year old WR than a 20 year old MLB. You don’t see 20 year olds starting in the NFL hardly regardless of position.

Most rookie WRs don’t put up stats because they don’t get Thrown too enough to put up stats. Most rookies aren’t immediately given the #1

And it’s much harder to be an everdown MLB as a rookie than DE. its a joke you even mention Preston Brown , he sucks. 130 tackles 10 yards down the field is really good production. He sucked as a rookie and never got much better 

That was one REALLY obstinate, point-free response.

First........yeah Keuchly and Urlacher were damn near at peak as rookies..........that's not uncommon for MLB's.  And fwiw.......Urlacher was a safety in college so so-much for experience.

Again.......I don't care that Edmunds is 20.......that's not a predictor of future results..........see Amobi Okoye........the youngest starting player in NFL history had a fair rookie year that was viewed as special "on a curve" the way you are viewing Edmunds play........ and it turned out to be his best year in the NFL....he played steady but didn't improve and his NFL career was over at 25.........no bonus points for entering the league at 19.    

And being the baby of the bunch didn't make Watkins the best of his class..........there is just no evidence that being a year or two younger means you should be behind other underclassmen draftees.  

Edmunds own father had 3 good years in the NFL........the first 3...............so we aren't necessarily talking about the Matthews clan for longevity either.

And beyond the "HOF" examples.........we can just stay with the Bills........before Preston how could you forget THE LEGEND OF KIKO who was robbed of NFLDROY!:lol:.........and even Poz was about as good as he was going to get as a rookie before he broke his arm.   Every team has numerous examples like this..........when you draft a MLB high you have very good reason to expect results.

IT'S COMMON.

9 of the 18 NFLDROY's since 2000 have been MLB's.

I am hoping he is just a slow learner and he makes a big jump next year............but huge improvements from year one to year two are not typical with starting MLB's.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That was one REALLY obstinate, point-free response.

First........yeah Keuchly and Urlacher were damn near at peak as rookies..........that's not uncommon for MLB's.  And fwiw.......Urlacher was a safety in college so so-much for experience.

Again.......I don't care that Edmunds is 20.......that's not a predictor of future results..........see Amobi Okoye........the youngest starting player in NFL history had a fair rookie year that was viewed as special "on a curve" the way you are viewing Edmunds play........ and it turned out to be his best year in the NFL....he played steady but didn't improve and his NFL career was over at 25.........no bonus points for entering the league at 19.    

And being the baby of the bunch didn't make Watkins the best of his class..........there is just no evidence that being a year or two younger means you should be behind other underclassmen draftees.  

Edmunds own father had 3 good years in the NFL........the first 3...............so we aren't necessarily talking about the Matthews clan for longevity either.

And beyond the "HOF" examples.........we can just stay with the Bills........before Preston how could you forget THE LEGEND OF KIKO who was robbed of NFLDROY!:lol:.........and even Poz was about as good as he was going to get as a rookie before he broke his arm.   Every team has numerous examples like this..........when you draft a MLB high you have very good reason to expect results.

IT'S COMMON.

9 of the 18 NFLDROY's since 2000 have been MLB's.

I am hoping he is just a slow learner and he makes a big jump next year............but huge improvements from year one to year two are not typical with starting MLB's.

Yea MLBs win RoY because they are around the ball and put up stats

Edmunds will finish with 100+ tackles and a good amount of pass break ups and Forced fumbles 

Statistically a good season... even though he needs to see the field better 

watch how he comes back 2x better next year 

When you talk about Paul Poz, and guys like him, you are talking guys who RELIED on instincts to play the game .. that’s why they come in at a semi high level and never really improve.

Tremaine is the exact opposite. A guy who has the elite physical tools that the other LBrs don’t possess, but not the play recognition yet

The Bills and all of us are banking on instincts kicking in along with his elite physical tools... and there has been some displays of that 

52 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea MLBs win RoY because they are around the ball and put up stats

Edmunds will finish with 100+ tackles and a good amount of pass break ups and Forced fumbles 

Statistically a good season... even though he needs to see the field better 

watch how he comes back 2x better next year 

When you talk about Paul Poz, and guys like him, you are talking guys who RELIED on instincts to play the game .. that’s why they come in at a semi high level and never really improve.

Tremaine is the exact opposite. A guy who has the elite physical tools that the other LBrs don’t possess, but not the play recognition yet

The Bills and all of us are banking on instincts kicking in along with his elite physical tools... and there has been some displays of that 

I'd love to see it but you aren't providing ANY precedent.

I guess that's because there is no precedent for his impending greatness at MLB.:flirt:

I think that kind of unjustified expectation of inevitable greatness has lead to a lot of pretty good players becoming scapegoats of the fanbase.

Like all of the people who grew to hate the uninstinctive CJ Spiller for not becoming the Marshall Faulk he was inaccurately projected by some to be.

The guy was averaging 4.7 ypc and people were frustrated with him..........by comparison McCoy averaged 4.4 in his first year as a Bill and 3.9 last year and 3.3 so far this year.

The perception of playing to your ability is a big deal.

I look at Edmunds as a very physically talented player that is finding his position on the field..........and even though I clearly made the point with examples that it's more the norm for great ones to show more overall proficiency than he has.............sure he could improve a lot......... and also what we see might just be very close to his best at MLB.

But with his skillset........maybe he can play better at OLB or as an edge rusher etc..

IMO it was a pretty ambitious move trying to put a guy with pass rusher physique at MLB............if it pans out, great because as I've said before on this board.........the NFL is becoming basketball on turf and the way basketball responded to rules favoring offense was to try to get PT for longer athletes that can get hands on the ball on defense.    There is only so much you can do to adapt defensively and speed and length wherever you can get it gives you a better chance to make stops and get turnovers.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

8 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

When I was 20 I was smoking bongs and drinking Milwaukee's Best out of a mop bucket at college... nightly.

Edmunds is slightly more impressive than I was at his age.

I hope the Pats* took you in the first round!  

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'd love to see it but you aren't providing ANY precedent.

I guess that's because there is no precedent for his impending greatness at MLB.:flirt:

I think that kind of unjustified expectation of inevitable greatness has lead to a lot of pretty good players becoming scapegoats of the fanbase.

Like all of the people who grew to hate the uninstinctive CJ Spiller for not becoming the Marshall Faulk he was inaccurately projected by some to be.

The guy was averaging 4.7 ypc and people were frustrated with him..........by comparison McCoy averaged 4.4 in his first year as a Bill and 3.9 last year and 3.3 so far this year.

The perception of playing to your ability is a big deal.

I look at Edmunds as a very physically talented player that is finding his position on the field..........and even though I clearly made the point with examples that it's more the norm for great ones to show more overall proficiency than he has.............sure he could improve a lot......... and also what we see might just be very close to his best at MLB.

But with his skillset........maybe he can play better at OLB or as an edge rusher etc..

IMO it was a pretty ambitious move trying to put a guy with pass rusher physique at MLB............if it pans out, great because as I've said before on this board.........the NFL is becoming basketball on turf and the way basketball responded to rules favoring offense was to try to get PT for longer athletes that can get hands on the ball on defense.    There is only so much you can do to adapt defensively and speed and length wherever you can get it gives you a better chance to make stops and get turnovers.

I never compared him to anybody or said I expect any greatness out of him.

He was a pick that was supposed to get better with time, not be an immediate stud at MLB. He was a trait guy

And he has flashed some

Its what he can do in the modern NFL ... that is what the Bills gambled on 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I never compared him to anybody or said I expect any greatness out of him.

He was a pick that was supposed to get better with time, not be an immediate stud at MLB. He was a trait guy

And he has flashed some

Its what he can do in the modern NFL ... that is what the Bills gambled on 

20-21 year old "very young" Bills draft picks that were trait guys that "according to fans like you" were "supposed to get better with time":

Whitner

Lynch

Maybin

Dareus

Watkins

When will you guys learn that getting a guy a year or two early doesn't mean dick in this process?    Darnold's younger than Allen is that part of the evaluation in your opinion?  Or does the fact that Darnold had more game experience against better competition mean more..........you know like Edmunds had compared to Leighton Vander Esch(who first played 11 man football 4 years ago!). 

You don't draft a frickin' MLB in round one in hope of nurturing him along..........this isn't the NHL or MLB where you have a minor league system............the expectation is that you will get a pretty close to finished product at what is generally considered an easy-to-fill, lower cost,  lower value position on the field.

And you talk about Preston Brown being the worst player on his rookie year defense?    Well Edmunds position has been no better than 10th best of 11 on the field this year.......that is FOR SURE.   #2 CB has been a revolving door but there have even been some games where Edmunds has been BY FAR the worst player on the defense.........like against LA when Rivers basically attacked him EVERY PLAY for 4 quarters.

You MAY get lucky and develop one of these guys into MUCH better players than what they show initially but just because a guy "flashed some" at 20 years old doesn't mean he's going to become a lot more.

And yeah.......when you rant about him having 100 tackles then tell me to "watch how he comes back 2x better next year" you are basically declaring inevitable greatness in the form of massive improvement in year 2. 

You now want to back off that declaration?..........that's fine.........but you sound like John in Riverside who starts early lobbying for HOF enshrinement the moment the commissioner announces the pick. ?

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

20-21 year old "very young" Bills draft picks that were trait guys that "according to fans like you" were "supposed to get better with time":

Whitner

Lynch

Maybin

Dareus

Watkins

When will you guys learn that getting a guy a year or two early doesn't mean dick in this process?    Darnold's younger than Allen is that part of the evaluation in your opinion?  Or does the fact that Darnold had more game experience against better competition mean more..........you know like Edmunds had compared to Leighton Vander Esch(who first played 11 man football 4 years ago!). 

You don't draft a frickin' MLB in round one in hope of nurturing him along..........this isn't the NHL or MLB where you have a minor league system............the expectation is that you will get a pretty close to finished product at what is generally considered an easy-to-fill, lower cost,  lower value position on the field.

And you talk about Preston Brown being the worst player on his rookie year defense?    Well Edmunds position has been no better than 10th best of 11 on the field this year.......that is FOR SURE.   #2 CB has been a revolving door but there have even been some games where Edmunds has been BY FAR the worst player on the defense.........like against LA when Rivers basically attacked him EVERY PLAY for 4 quarters.

You MAY get lucky and develop one of these guys into MUCH better players than what they show initially but just because a guy "flashed some" at 20 years old doesn't mean he's going to become a lot more.

And yeah.......when you rant about him having 100 tackles then tell me to "watch how he comes back 2x better next year" you are basically declaring inevitable greatness in the form of massive improvement in year 2. 

You now want to back off that declaration?..........that's fine.........but you sound like John in Riverside who starts early lobbying for HOF enshrinement the moment the commissioner announces the pick. ?

I fully agree that he would be the 9th to 11th ranked guy in our defense this year...

thats why I brought up His possible stats... He isnt playing at a high level yet “statistically” isn’t bad

THAT WAS MY POINT ABOUT MLBS . THEY PUT UP STATS

no where did I ever say I expect greatness out of him. I did say “watch him come back 2x better”... And that’s all it means . Watch him work hard and potentially get better.. I’m not giving up on a rookie 

young players take strides and I do expect him to be Double the run stuffer next year... that’s not wild considering how poor he’s been at it. 

I never said I expect a HoF career. I said the Bills are banking on his physical traits to pan out, and we as fans should root for it to pan out

And Dareus was an all pro. He can be as good as he wants. He doesn’t want it. He wants a paycheck

have a good day 

Edited by Buffalo716