Pegula Sports & Entertainment Hires CAA ICON to Conduct a Feasibility Study for a Potential New Bills Stadium or Major Renovations to New Era Field

26CornerBlitz

If the taxpayers of western new york were REALLY that concerned about their tax burdens, they'd have quit voting Democrat about 25 years ago.

But they didn't. So they're not.

Build the stadium, split the cost with the public and quit screwing around.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If they are doing something with the Sabres arena and are going to rebuild that, it would be cool if they somehow built a building where the arena was either attached to or inside the football stadium. Like one big convention center where they both play and then build up the area around it. I live nowhere near orchard park or buffalo for that matter and I am a rangers fan so I don’t have a lot of input on the down town buffalo scene. I have a 6 hour each way shot to new era right now but it’s simple. I’m not sure what the logistics would be of getting to a stadium down town. I know a lot of people feel like the bills will or should go downtown but I wonder if anyone has thought about the Sabres moving closer to orchard park and putting both teams next to each other? It would help sell the “one buffalo” idea and make it easier on the pegulas. Most sports cities that have multiple teams have the stadiums close to each other. It makes a lot of sense from a marketing and logistics point of view. Perhaps the thought is they will bring the bills closer to the Sabres but I guess we will see.

I think no matter what the bills need a stadium with a roof. In a perfect world they could get a roof over the current stadium and just use the renovation money to just improve the physical structure of the stadium. Make sure the place doesn’t collapse. I don’t think the stadium needs all the bells and whistles of a new place. It’s got a great feel to it as is it. But it needs to be safe and not in danger of falling apart. I’d also love to hear the crowd noise for a Bills home game in an inclosed stadium. The other offense would be at such a disadvantage. A dome would probably get us 2 extra wins a year from a crowd noise perspective.

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

I still believe the stadium is going into a master project downtown with both arena's and the development they have which can work and not completely screw tax payers given the amount of activity. 

I agree - it will be the "One Buffalo Sports, Entertainment & Convention Complex".

• Like (+1) 1

Truthfully, we need a new stadium and it needs to be located near the downtown area. OP is just a pain in the Butt to get to, especially in the winter time. I can envision a new stadium located downtown that has rail access coming in from multiple directions. That's the Ticket ;)

11 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m not sure what the logistics would be of getting to a stadium down town. I know a lot of people feel like the bills will or should go downtown but I wonder if anyone has thought about the Sabres moving closer to orchard park and putting both teams next to each other? It would help sell the “one buffalo” idea and make it easier on the pegulas. Most sports cities that have multiple teams have the stadiums close to each other. It makes a lot of sense from a marketing and logistics point of view. Perhaps the thought is they will bring the bills closer to the Sabres but I guess we will see.

Having a 19,000 seat arena that hosts 41+ sabres games, like 8 bandits games, NCAA Hoops, Concerts, etc downtown is beneficial to the area, which is the goal.  

Dropping it in Lackawanna (the town between OP and Buffalo) would be extremely foolish and counter-productive

Also, remember the Harbor Center is connected to Key Bank Center.  

Hands off. That is only to be used by Brian Higgins. 

3 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

Truthfully, we need a new stadium and it needs to be located near the downtown area. OP is just a pain in the Butt to get to, especially in the winter time. I can envision a new stadium located downtown that has rail access coming in from multiple directions. That's the Ticket ;)

Rail lines?  Right. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, May Day 10 said:

Having a 19,000 seat arena that hosts 41+ sabres games, like 8 bandits games, NCAA Hoops, Concerts, etc downtown is beneficial to the area, which is the goal.  

Dropping it in Lackawanna (the town between OP and Buffalo) would be extremely foolish and counter-productive

Also, remember the Harbor Center is connected to Key Bank Center.  

Yeah full disclosure I am a big rangers fan. I know nothing about the Sabres arena or what it’s like down there. I only go up there for Bills games. I only hear stuff about it here and there in the wgr radio app. I know they do things with that harbor center but I don’t know about how vital it is to all of this. I’m sure the plan is to integrate the Bills to that area. Selfishly I’m not sure I want it to be there.

4 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Yeah full disclosure I am a big rangers fan. I know nothing about the Sabres arena or what it’s like down there. I only go up there for Bills games. I only hear stuff about it here and there in the wgr radio app. I know they do things with that harbor center but I don’t know about how vital it is to all of this. I’m sure the plan is to integrate the Bills to that area. Selfishly I’m not sure I want it to be there.

I understand.  The arena being there is one of the biggest draws of humans to the downtown area, that frankly, doesnt have a ton going for it.  A goal that all stakeholders have been trying to realize.  It is well placed.  IMO, arenas and baseball stadiums do have a positive affect on downtown areas, but football stadiums are not.  The downtown area can barely move 19,000 people out of there at once, and even that is debatable.  It isn't well designed for heavy traffic volume.  A football stadium would require major transportation upgrades.  

Edited by May Day 10

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

Let me preface this with 'they are not building a new arena'

The arena was built on the cheap compared to other venues in the same era (probably the only choice at the time to avoid the Phoenix or Winnipeg Sabres).  Building materials are noticeably cheaper.  

A few major structural problems are the concourses are poorly designed.  They are narrow and a lot of choke points.  

The inside of the arena has that giant bubble roof.  It makes for poor acoustics and combined with the gigantic blue wall below it and ductwork, it sucks all the intimacy out of the place.

The seating grade is awful.  The seats go very far away from the ice, much moreso than other modern arenas I have been to.  Especially when you are in the corners, you are very far away from the ice/performance, etc.  The way it is built, the approach of and the corners have narrow builds of seats and it gets very cramped and uncomfortable.  Also, there are many seats in the 100 level that are really bad and you need to watch much of the game on the scoreboard.  

everything here is 100% dead on..not a fan of that place

46 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I say open a floating stadium and tour the Great Lakes during the game day.

Tailgating would be epic.

Image result for floating stadium

now this looks awesome..why has no one done that yet? 

imagin when the "gales of November come early"..now that would make some hard field goas when the damn posts are rolling from side to side!

They don't care about your tailgating experience, they don't profit from it enough and the antics quite frankly make the fanbase look boorish. A new stadium downtown with a retractable roof allows them to hold more events (concerts) and would have a net positive effect on the economy. Reduced tailgating space means people would be funneled into the bars/restaurants in the area. Expect this to be the route they go with. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

They don't care about your tailgating experience, they don't profit from it enough and the antics quite frankly make the fanbase look boorish. A new stadium downtown with a retractable roof allows them to hold more events (concerts) and would have a net positive effect on the economy. Reduced tailgating space means people would be funneled into the bars/restaurants in the area. Expect this to be the route they go with. 

so the ketchup ceremony will just have to be done inside Lagerhaus or something.

• Like (+1) 1