Pegula Sports & Entertainment Hires CAA ICON to Conduct a Feasibility Study for a Potential New Bills Stadium or Major Renovations to New Era Field

26CornerBlitz

PSE to Begin Comprehensive Study of New Era Field

l1bjoe11cwazeqv0zz2z.jpg

Pegula Sports & Entertainment has hired CAA ICON to assist its efforts in determining the next steps for the Buffalo Bills stadium needs and for potential renovations of KeyBank Center, the home of the Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Bandits. CAA ICON will conduct a privately-funded study to help identify the best options for ownership, fans and the community. The study will include direct feedback from Bills and Sabres fans.

“The number one priority for this study is the fan experience,” said PSE President & CEO Kim Pegula. “CAA ICON has an extensive resume, having participated in dozens of first-class professional facilities, along with Harborcenter and Penn State’s Pegula Ice Arena. We have the utmost confidence that CAA ICON’s unparalleled experience will help ensure that our venues achieve the highest standards.”

“As both New Era Field and KeyBank Center have aged, they have fallen behind modern standards,” said Bruce Popko, PSE’s Chief Operating Officer. “Terry and Kim Pegula have invested more than $2 billion of their own money in our market, including $350 million in privately-financed venue upgrades and expansions. With both leases nearing expiration, we look forward to developing a plan and working with our public sector partners to solidify the futures of the Bills and Sabres.”
Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Pegula Sports & Entertainment Hires CAA ICON to Conduct a Feasibility Study for a Potential New Bills Stadium or Major Renovations to New Era Field

I hope we go the renovation route.  Keep the tailgating atmosphere we have out in the 'burbs which may be tough to do downtown.  Plus, I don't think this area could support an expensive new stadium and the seat licensing, increased ticket prices, and necessary corporate buy-in (suites and such) required to make it successful.  Sure, a new stadium would be cool, but we need to be realistic.  And our current stadium makes us unique in the league (well, Green Bay too), nostalgic for visitors.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Mark80 said:

I hope we go the renovation route.  Keep the tailgating atmosphere we have out in the 'burbs which may be tough to do downtown.  Plus, I don't think this area could support an expensive new stadium and the seat licensing, increased ticket prices, and necessary corporate buy-in (suites and such) to make it successful.

I am for a downtown stadium but can live with a full renovation of the current site.    If they choose to renovate, I'd like to see them throw a retractable roof on the place.  Make it a year round venue.  Maybe since I'm getting older, i just don't love sitting out in 25 degrees and 30mph wind gusts anymore....or steady cold rain.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Man, how my mind has changed on this over the years.

I don't believe any team needs these cathedral stadiums.  If you want them and can afford them, great.  Otherwise, just a nice venue to watch a game is good enough.

Why?  Because I think only so much money can be made from the stadiums over an 8-10 week home schedule, as opposed to what they cost to put up.  However, and most importantly, the very best place to watch any game, especially football, is on TV.  As a matter of fact others have commented that football, given all the cameras and coverage, may be the best television sport.

Sure, make sure the stadiums are filled, but squeeze out all the money you can, NFL, from your other sources of income and come back down to Earth on the stadiums.

I am not just talking about the Bills, but every NFL city, unless you want these costly homes so badly.

...I just don't think that they should be the standard of what every NFL team should have.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, CaptnCoke11 said:

Blow up old build new right where it is now

Im thinking there is enough space to build it in an adjacent lot while games still played at NEF.  Also, not sure how much the hole in the ground would hold up construction.  Build it in ground?  Or a backfilling process

1 minute ago, May Day 10 said:

Im thinking there is enough space to build it in an adjacent lot while games still played at NEF.  Also, not sure how much the hole in the ground would hold up construction.  Build it in ground?  Or a backfilling process

This is exactly what I would do. Put it next to the current stadium and play out the string at New Era. The gameday experience cannot be beat in OP. It will never be the same if moved downtown. 

A stadium is not and will never be a money making proposition for an area or city. We all get that, so let’s realize that it isn’t a factor in this equation at all. I’d bet that the results of the study indicate that a new , climate controlled stadium be built downtown. Downtown is coming back in a big way, and that’s where the momentum will take this. There is definitely a market out there to support a covered stadium with better amenities and fewer seats. 

22 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

I hope we go the renovation route.  Keep the tailgating atmosphere we have out in the 'burbs which may be tough to do downtown.  Plus, I don't think this area could support an expensive new stadium and the seat licensing, increased ticket prices, and necessary corporate buy-in (suites and such) required to make it successful.  Sure, a new stadium would be cool, but we need to be realistic.  And our current stadium makes us unique in the league (well, Green Bay too), nostalgic for visitors.

Good post. You summed up all my sentiments into one neat little package so I dont have to say anything!:beer:

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Man, how my mind has changed on this over the years.

I don't believe any team needs these cathedral stadiums.  If you want them and can afford them, great.  Otherwise, just a nice venue to watch a game is good enough.

Why?  Because I think only so much money can be made from the stadiums over an 8-10 week home schedule, as opposed to what they cost to put up.  However, and most importantly, the very best place to watch any game, especially football, is on TV.  As a matter of factor others have commented that football, given all the cameras and coverage, may be the best television sport.

Sure, make sure the stadiums are filled, but squeeze out all the money you can NFL from your other sources of income and come back down to Earth on the stadiums.

I am not just talking about the Bills, but every NFL city, unless you want these costly homes so badly.

...I just don't think that they should be the standard of what every NFL team should have.

Most studies agree with this and basically state it has to be incredibly well planned out to have a shot to give the taxpayers a payback. That is IF they do a new stadium its gotta be indoors because the study in 2014 by NYS said it basically doubles your usage from 20-30 events to 50-70.

I still believe the stadium is going into a master project downtown with both arena's and the development they have which can work and not completely screw tax payers given the amount of activity. 

But yea a new outdoor stadium just seems foolish and were better off renovating for real.

• Like (+1) 1