Should we have traded Shady back to Philly?

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

128 carries 426 yards 3.3 ypc 2 TD

OR

83 carries 294 yards 3.5 ypc 1 TD, extra 4th round pick, and $9 million in cap savings

I know which one I choose

The Bills have plenty of cap space in the next two seasons and #25 is in the plan for 2019.  McCoy is an integral part of the team both on and off the field.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Bills have plenty of cap space in the next two seasons and #25 is in the plan for 2019.  McCoy is an integral part of the team both on and off the field.

I get that.  But to me I do not notice a drop off with Ivory.  In fact, he has looked better to me much of the season.  $9 million for Shady's production is robbery.  RBs are easily replaceable.  Guys like Hunt, Kamara, David Johnson, Mixon, etc are found post round 1.  Quality WR, C, TE, OT, DE are harder to find IMO.  I would work cap and fill those spots with FA and draft.  And my plan would not be myopic.  I wouldn't waste cap space and picks.  Cap space rolls over, and I would almost always trade down for additional picks, this draft, and for future drafts

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I get that.  But to me I do not notice a drop off with Ivory.  In fact, he has looked better to me much of the season.  $9 million for Shady's production is robbery.  RBs are easily replaceable.  Guys like Hunt, Kamara, David Johnson, Mixon, etc are found post round 1.  Quality WR, C, TE, OT, DE are harder to find IMO.  I would work cap and fill those spots with FA and draft.  And my plan would not be myopic.  I wouldn't waste cap space and picks.  Cap space rolls over, and I would almost always trade down for additional picks, this draft, and for future drafts

McCoy showed that he's still plenty explosive against the NYJ.  He's a home run hitter that the Bills need for big plays from and I expect his production to return once they get better on the OL with C/G as positions in need of upgrade. Bottom line is he's in the plans for 2019.

• Like (+1) 1

There’s zero reason to cut him, it’s not like they need the money off the books regardless of dead cap hit. Shadys # doesn’t help or hurt signing free agents. Having him here however may attract some as he is pretty well liked and respected in the league. I would like to see his role reduced next year, but I think he can still be effective in the 12-18 touch range. Very few running backs who are an actual threat to take it to the house anywhere on the field 

51 minutes ago, Charlottebillsfan2 said:

What about the $11.575 Million dead cap hit if we cut him this season?  

I do think this is more likely, but something to consider, Next season he is on his last season of his contract. Dead cap is a small hit at only $2.6 million but they are only paying him $6.425 million in Cash (Base Salary  + $250,00 work out bonus). I like seeing what players do in contract seasons. I think you might be better off keeping him to the trade deadline. That gives you some options. 

Agree.

Bills best move is to upgrade their OL and WR options in 2019 offseason which will really help McCoy. Draft a RB to pair with McCoy who will have a cheap salary and carry the load, and when you combine Shady's 8M and the rookie's low salary, Shady's cap hit is manageable.

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

Knowing what we know now? Is Shady really part of our plans next year?

426 rushing 3.3ypc

25 rec 198yds 7.9avg

How do you guys feel about it? Should we have taken the picks?

He should have been traded over a year ago.

I love me some Shady, but not trading him when his stock was high was irresponsible, in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 2

I'd also like to give Shady some respect for not complaining this season about his lack of usage.  When we were looking like an all-time bad offense, I never once heard him complain about his blockers, the play calling, his stats or anything.  Off the field he's had issues, but he appears to always be a positive influence in the locker room and on the field.

1 hour ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I believe that if we can improve our oline, shady can still be effective.  He has played his heart out for the Bills.  I would like to keep him for another year 

i agree but  his motivation is chasing records and i'm sorry shady,  you ain't getting over 20 carries a game any more.  maybe with a much improved line he could look like his old self,

but can he?...and at what cost?  i hope kyle and lorax come back for one more year.

In McCoy's defense, he has not had plenty of opportunities this season. With the exception of the Jets game (in which Shady played well), all of the games in which Josh Allen did NOT start wound up being blowouts where the running game went out the door rather quickly. In the games where Josh has started, defenses have ascribed to the strategy of loading the box and forcing Josh to beat them. If you are a defensive coordinator, you are going to identify Shady as the team's biggest threat and game-plan to stop him. A few more big plays like we had against the Jags on Sunday, and maybe teams will start to respect the pass a bit more. Also, another thing to note: when the pocket breaks down Josh's first instinct is to run, which worked out well on Sunday. A nice wrinkle for Dabol to add would be to mix in more dump-offs to McCoy (I believe there was only one of these against the Jags).

Buffalo doesn't NEED the cap space, but I simply think they can upgrade at RB by moving on from him, so yes, I would have traded him if they could get an asset at the deadline.

I think Philly may have finally realized that Josh Adams is a better runner now than McCoy is though.

At any rate, IMO, Buffalo should cut McCoy in the offseason assuming they're unable to trade him.

Edited by DCOrange

2 hours ago, Pete said:

There hasn't been a drop off with Ivory because of the state of the offense.  Ivory is more of a bruiser and that's good when your OL can't produce holes.  Shady needs space to utilize his talents and this OL - and/or Daboll's scheme - doesn't create space.  

If the OL was better, Shady would be the more productive and dangerous runner.  

• Like (+1) 1

Three weeks ago LeShady was the only player on offense consistently making plays when it counted.  Now that others have stepped up, the "Cut him" crowd is in full swing.  Yes, he dances too much at times, but how many times has he been met 3 yards in the backfield this season?  He's still the 2nd leading receiver with 25 catches (Zay is first with 37).  Chris Ivory's YPC is only 3.5, so the line isn't blocking any better for him.  As far as Charlie Murphy goes, I think McD is worried about his ball security after the PR fumbles, his 5.5 YPC notwithstanding.  If we get the line fixed, I still think LeShady can get it done.  Not quite ready to bury him yet.  

He is just as good a player as he was last year, but tweedle dee and tweedle dum replacing Wood and Incognito are just not opening holes.  He's a guy who needs a hole -- he doesn't create them himself.  He has just as good quickness and acceleration as before on the rare occasions when he has an opening.  Keep him.  He's a leader.