Was Baker Mayfield a DOUCHE Yesterday?

47 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

There are a lot of things people do that can be taken as douchey. For me, when people misspell or purposely mispronounce someone's name...I find that rather douchey.

From Baker's standpoint, I think it's less that Jackson took a job but rather he didn't do the job he was supposed to, got fired and then did a media circuit to blame everyone else. I found those actions by Hue, a grown man, to be extremely douchey. Baker could have handled it with a more bland response, but he didn't.

Wait a minute.  Are you saying that I’m a douche for purposely misspelling Baker’s name in the thread title?  I’ll hang up and listen to your response...

I have no clue why people are so salty about this. 

You go to a division rival, you’re dead to me. I love it. And if I was a teammate i’d love it. He says in the interview there’s a certain culture he’s trying to establish, if I’m not mistaken. 

I have a feeling most people in here that are sounding off about it being such a bad look are the ones who bagged on him the whole time leading up to the draft and are now grasping at straws. 

Im sure he’ll handle it differently the older he gets and as a business owner I would handle it differently myself knowing how the public would respond.... But I wouldn’t care if he didn’t change a dang thing his whole career 

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

And he’s gone. He should be happy. Why be a douche about it publically? What does that accomplish for your team except an onslaught of negative attention? He’s played a handful of games in the nfl and thinks he can dictate where the man coaches. He looks very petty and small. 

I think you are diagnosing it wayyy too much. 

Hue tried to act like everything was gravy and Mayfield isn't naive enough to actually believe that.

Let's not act like Hue didn't know what he was doing with the Cincinnati job.  The guy was fine doing the media nonsense for weeks, but then all of a sudden he took an "unpaid" job with a divisional rival that his former team plays twice.

Hue is a untalented snake that people somehow still believe he has some type of talent.  He needs to just go away.

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

I think there's a few things at play, here.

1.  Mayfield is young and perhaps a bit immature.

2.  Mayfield, at his age, may not realize that a man Hue Jackson's age isn't going to have many opportunities in the NFL; especially after getting fired after a Peterman-esque career in Cleveland.

3.  Mayfield is trying to win over a team and a fan base.  On the heels of throwing 4 TDs and no INTs, he took an opportunity to pound his chest one more time that day.

I would be shocked that, 5+ years down the road, Mayfield wouldn't have handled it with a tad more grace/subtlety and professionalism.  

But he's a kid.  I don't think he crossed any lines.  That said, if he came out with those remarks as a seasoned vet, I'd likely feel differently.

He’s almost 24. If my 12 year old was publically whining about a coach I would be mortified. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, simpleman said:

Did any of the commentators here actually listen to the interview they are commenting about? He answered two questions posed to him by reporters honestly, which were directly asking him about Hugh.

Listen to the interview between 2:28-2:48 and take it in context.

There was no malice in his voice, he even said his honest feelings were his own and “everybody can have their spin on it, but that is how I feel”.

I don't see the malice here toward what he said there. He was asked a direct question about Hugh by the reporters and answered directly. I listened to it 3 or 4 times and could not believe the reaction here on this thread and by the media talking heads.

He did not rant or continue on, he just honestly answered. Could he have been less honest and more diplomatic? Yes. He is a young rookie, he will learn more about off field media skills with time and practice. Just like on field skills and rookie mistakes, it takes time and experience to not make off field rookie mistakes.

Much ado about nothing. The media is making an issue about something minuscule just to have something talk about.

But he just couldn’t stop there. For some reason he

felt the need to jump in the comments section of a “First Take” post Monday on Instagram about the need for him to grow up.

There’s obviously no quicker way to show you’re growing up than to call your former coach “fake” on Instagram! Seriously, why is any NFL quarterback wasting their time in the comments section on Instagram? You don’t take to social media in order to air out your dirty laundry. This is the NFL, stop acting liking a teenage girl. 

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

felt the need to jump in the comments section of a “First Take” post Monday on Instagram about the need for him to grow up.

There’s obviously no quicker way to show you’re growing up than to call your former coach “fake” on Instagram! Seriously, why is any NFL quarterback wasting their time in the comments section on Instagram? You don’t take to social media in order to air out your dirty laundry. This is the NFL, stop acting liking a teenage girl. 

I wonder if Dorsey is cringing about this situation thinking that Baker’s behavior might actually deter some really sought after HC candidates from coming to Cleveland?

So much being made out of so little here.

Hue is a classless clown.  Mayfield is, I'm sure, holding  back from what he and likely that entire Browns locker room thinks of their former HC.

They should go into the Bengals locker room and ask them what they think of Hue becoming their next HC...

9 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My initial reaction was “this kid has no class.”  Yet he’s a kid I guess.  I don’t know.  His behavior in that moment was classless.  I don’t know that I’m ready to completely judge his character though.

He's a complex case, because he clearly runs on doosh fuel.  But he needs it to succeed, so yeah, it's a toss up.    

16 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I wonder if Dorsey is cringing about this situation thinking that Baker’s behavior might actually deter some really sought after HC candidates from coming to Cleveland?

Dorsey is probably kicking himself for not putting up a bigger fight to get rid of Hue sooner. But he did bring in Haley,  and Baker seemed to throw him under the bus too when he said: “You can put your own spin on it but we have people we believe in calling the plays now.”

Edited by YoloinOhio

9 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don’t think any of the QB’s you mentioned would have handled that situation the same way...even as a rook.

Fair enough, but the real issue here is not whether or not Hue deserved such criticism.  It is more about Baker, the face of the franchise, taking the liberty to do so publically.

Have to agree with you on both account Hammersticks. True leaders don't act the way Baker Mayfield did in his post game presser.

9 hours ago, Greatdane21 said:

He is young hopefully he will start thinking before he speaks . Sometimes that comes with age.

Maybe, but sometime a d-bag is always a d-bag. As Hammer said, I also think that none of the other rookie QB's would have acted this way. Look at how Allen handled the whole Ramsey calling him "Trash" deal. He came back with, "he's one of the top corners in the league". No trash talk, no disrespecting him, not even after the game. Players like that are leaders.

Baker might be a douche but not for this. Hue Jackson on his firing on First Take:

And I think when you really stop to look at it, it's truly really about Baker Mayfield. I think they want to do everything they can to put him in a situation. I mean, you got the first pick of the draft who I think is gonna be a franchise QB, a sensational player. And he's not playing as well. You know, so again, here's a perfect storm to move forward and move on.

Hue tried to dress it up by saying he thinks Baker will be great, but he threw the kid under the bus. It's not Baker's fault that Hue was one of the worst head coaches in NFL history.

About going to Cincinnati, Baker just seems bitter after being thrown under the bus. Here's a terrible head coach preaching family. Basically a father figure type. Then after mom kicks him to the curb for being a deadbeat, he runs down the street and starts living with the woman mom always hated and suspected dad of running around with. Then he blames Baker for the failed marriage. Hue is a B word, plain and simple. Anyone that saw Hard Knocks knows it. 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s almost 24. If my 12 year old was publically whining about a coach I would be mortified. 

52 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The post-game presser comments I can (as stated above) comfortably justify.  Keeping it going on social media, however, is Bush League crap.

• Like (+1) 1

I fall on the doosh side.  Once I saw the whole PC exchange it did give some context.  To me he was trying (too hard) to play the "traitor went to a hated rival" card - I think it might have been partially an attempt to endear himself further to the fan base - and to try show his "competitiveness" which to me though just made him look immature/foolish.  One thing it shows to me for sure is he really has some deep rooted disdain or Hue.  Obviously he didn't have a high opinion of him based on their time together - you don't treat people you respect like that.  Makes you wonder if he was in Dorsey's ear badmouthing Hue (and Haley) - or at least was more than willing to provide his opinion if asked.

I get that pro sports has a little different dynamic, but give me a break - the guy got fired (didn't quit) and found gainful employment in his profession.  Ridiculous to fault the guy for getting a job.