Was Baker Mayfield a DOUCHE Yesterday?

5 minutes ago, cle23 said:

You mean like Hue's media tour after he was fired where he indirectly blamed everybody but himself, and tried to rewrite history by saying he wanted Wentz and Watson? Classless and immature like that?

Guessing you're a Browns fan which is why I think Mayfield made the smart play in trashing Hue.  He was a horrible head coach.  No doubt about it.

However, Hue Jackson had nothing but glowing reviews of Mayfield saying he was going to be a sensational player as long as they surrounded him with the right personnel.  If Jackson had anything negative to say about Mayfield then I would applaud Baker's comments.  I think Mayfield will regret these comments as he matures.

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Maybe he never got along with him. Maybe he didn't agree with his decisions as the head coach. Now that he is gone he can be a little more vocal about it.

Hue was a failure as a head coach, so it makes sense to me the Mayfield would realize that from day one and see the evidence of his failures.

He probably didn't appreciate the power struggle between Jackson and the offensive and defensive coordinators.

I don't blame him at all.

You're right!  After all of this how can Mayfield be expected to be polite for 30 seconds?

• Haha (+1) 1

This was Mayfield's m.o. coming into the league. He carries a chip for many things. Reporters saying things, coaches, feeling snubbed, doubters, he carries it with him ALL the time. I don't understand this one because Hue got fired and took a job offered to him. Should he have said no? I think not. Mayfield is gonna be a great QB, but he clearly has some growing up to do. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

All it shows me is he is an ultra competitor like Brady and Brees, and like Peyton Manning was.  That is what you want in a QB imo.

:thumbsup:  He's also "all in" on the Browns and wears his loyalty on his sleeve.  One of Mayfield's notable traits in college was that he was a team player who was willing to do whatever was necessary to win  games, and getting a big payday as the #1 overall pick apparently hasn't changed that.

Moreover,  Jackson is the one who was a "douche" in this situation for taking a job with a state and divisional rival that the Browns were still to face.  Since Jackson's HC contract was guaranteed, he didn't need to take a job immediately.  He could have waited until the off season to take a new gig or agreed to take the Bengals' job but waited until after the Browns game to actually start.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

He clearly disrespected Hue Jackson in his post game interview for seeking gainful employment (after being fired) with a division opponent.

There may be more behind the scene re: Mayfield/Jackson, but I thought it was uncouth of him to put Hue on blast on television.  Thoughts?

Edit:  

There are a lot of things people do that can be taken as douchey. For me, when people misspell or purposely mispronounce someone's name...I find that rather douchey.

From Baker's standpoint, I think it's less that Jackson took a job but rather he didn't do the job he was supposed to, got fired and then did a media circuit to blame everyone else. I found those actions by Hue, a grown man, to be extremely douchey. Baker could have handled it with a more bland response, but he didn't.

8 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

The weird part was that Jackson was fired...he didn't quit and sign on with a rival.  I guess he is never allowed to work again!

Only when bratty baker says he can and he has to run it by him first to make sure he approves of the team. 

10 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

There are a lot of things people do that can be taken as douchey. For me, when people misspell or purposely mispronounce someone's name...I find that rather douchey.

From Baker's standpoint, I think it's less that Jackson took a job but rather he didn't do the job he was supposed to, got fired and then did a media circuit to blame everyone else. I found those actions by Hue, a grown man, to be extremely douchey. Baker could have handled it with a more bland response, but he didn't.

Hue handled things in a Hue-ish way. Baker is justified to hold whatever grudge he wants about his time with Hue, but there is zero reason to be so publically petty and childish. Not everything in life is all about him but he doesn’t seem to get that. 

• Like (+1) 2

Not a problem with it at all.

1.) He’s the leader/face of a historically awful organization who is trying to set a new tone and change the culture.  You all should appreciate culture change.  Like Brady said, when you win in this league you to get say what you want.

2.)  Very Jordan-Esq.  Creating enemies/generating that little extra motivation out of nothing.  It’s assassin like and if concocting slights, insults or whatever motivation against an opponent ends in the stat line and outcome for the Browns like it did against the Bengals...I’d say have Baker do it every week.

3.) He’s a YounG QB with his whole future ahead of him.  The 1st Overall pick who almost had it all destroyed by a dinasour of Coach who was costing the team wins and pushing Baker toward the Bust Label.  Baker didn’t work so hard simply to show up in the nfl to be Jeff Fishered by another past their prime Head Coach.  It’s upsetting.

4.) He’s also in the Branding business trying to create a Marketing Identity for the Baker Brand.  First he wakes up feeling “Dan6erous”.  Now he’s a bad boy putting ex-coaches on blast.

nothing wrong here.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Like (+1) 1

Baker is the man.        Hue started a qb who can’t pass over him and told him to be more like him ??

Hue’s supposed to be an offensive genius yet Baker and the offense despised his play calls and magically started  performing better once Hue was gone 

He thinks Hue is a fake.    So be it 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, cle23 said:

You mean like Hue's media tour after he was fired where he indirectly blamed everybody but himself, and tried to rewrite history by saying he wanted Wentz and Watson? Classless and immature like that?

That, or Tech wouldn't offer their starting freshman walk on QB a scholarship, so he left.

Kingsbury promised him a scholarship. He bolted beforehand because he wasn’t going to start. His dad blamed the coach. This is well known but Baker is trying to deflect, I don’t blame him because he looks terrible right now. 

Not the first time he’s ripped a former coach (via TMZ because of course it is)

http://m.tmz.com/#!article/2018/07/30/baker-mayfield-kliff-kingsbury-texas-a-and-m-oklahoma/

this is just his thing 

Edited by YoloinOhio

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Kingsbury promised him a scholarship. He bolted beforehand because he wasn’t going to start. His dad blamed the coach. This is well known but Baker is trying to deflect, I don’t blame him because he looks terrible right now. 

Not the first time he’s ripped a former coach (via TMZ because of course it is)

http://m.tmz.com/#!article/2018/07/30/baker-mayfield-kliff-kingsbury-texas-a-and-m-oklahoma/

this is just his thing 

I think my opinion on Qb/Coaches has changed or intensified in light of seeing how Jeff Fisher and John Fox nearly destroyed Jared Goff and Mitch Trubisky.

now I simply wonder how many other young men who poured everything into it, showed up in the nfl only to be destroyed by Head Coaches whose times had passed.  How many are out there?

if some of that anger spilled out with Baker...so be it.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I think my opinion on Qb/Coaches has changed or intensified in light of seeing how Jeff Fisher and John Fox nearly destroyed Jared Goff and Mitch Trubisky.

now I simply wonder how many other young men who poured everything into it, showed up in the nfl only to be destroyed by Head Coaches whose times had passed.

if some of that anger spilled out with Baker...so be it.

He was with him for 1/2 season and obviously  wasn’t destroyed. He can feel whatever he wants about his time with Hue but all the public whining does is make him look bad and put negative attention on his team. Keep it in the locker room and be a professional, this isn’t romper room.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

He was with him for 1/2 season and obviously  wasn’t destroyed. He can feel whatever he wants about his time with Hue but all the public whining does is make him look bad and put negative attention on his team. Keep it in the locker room, this isn’t romper room.

Baker knew he was being destroyed by Hue.  He could see he was being set on the same path as Brady Quinn, Brandon Weadon, Johnny Manziel.  Add to that the whole grand standing Hue did on Hard Knocks.

Did any of the commentators here actually listen to the interview they are commenting about? He answered two questions posed to him by reporters honestly, which were directly asking him about Hugh.

Listen to the interview between 2:28-2:48 and take it in context.

There was no malice in his voice, he even said his honest feelings were his own and “everybody can have their spin on it, but that is how I feel”.

I don't see the malice here toward what he said there. He was asked a direct question about Hugh by the reporters and answered directly. I listened to it 3 or 4 times and could not believe the reaction here on this thread and by the media talking heads.

He did not rant or continue on, he just honestly answered. Could he have been less honest and more diplomatic? Yes. He is a young rookie, he will learn more about off field media skills with time and practice. Just like on field skills and rookie mistakes, it takes time and experience to not make off field rookie mistakes.

Much ado about nothing. The media is making an issue about something minuscule just to have something talk about.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Baker knew he was being destroyed by Hue.  He could see he was being set on the same path as Brady Quinn, Brandon Weadon, Johnny Manziel.  Add to that the whole grand standing Hue did on Hard Knocks.

And he’s gone. He should be happy. Why be a douche about it publically? What does that accomplish for your team except an onslaught of negative attention? He’s played a handful of games in the nfl and thinks he can dictate where the man coaches. He looks very petty and small. 

• Like (+1) 1