Was Baker Mayfield a DOUCHE Yesterday?

I didn't mind that he basically rejected the man-hug.

But I thought what he said was stupid. Hue didn't quit and join the other team in the state. He got fired. At that point, he's gotta do what's best for him, just like Baker would in his shoes. This idea that he shouldn't go to the Bengals out of some kind of loyalty to the team that fired him is a joke. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My initial reaction was “this kid has no class.”  Yet he’s a kid I guess.  I don’t know.  His behavior in that moment was classless.  I don’t know that I’m ready to completely judge his character though.

That sums it up for me.

He's a rook, but that's not a good look.

Meh. The reporter asked if they spoke, then followed it up with asking why it was so short and he said he didn't feel like talking, then gave an explanation. Was it a jab or honesty? He clarified that there was no animosity, just didn't feel like talking to someone he now views as a rival. People B word because players are too friendly with one another and don't seem to care about the game and they B word because they're not friendly enough to show enough sportsmanship for their liking.

To answer your question, though, of course he was a douche yesterday... and the day before that... and the day before that... he's Baker Mayfield.

• Haha (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, transient said:

Meh. The reporter asked if they spoke, then followed it up with asking why it was so short and he said he didn't feel like talking, then gave an explanation. Was it a jab or honesty? He clarified that there was no animosity, just didn't feel like talking to someone he now views as a rival. People B word because players are too friendly with one another and don't seem to care about the game and they B word because they're not friendly enough to show enough sportsmanship for their liking.

To answer your question, though, of course he was a douche yesterday... and the day before that... and the day before that... he's Baker Mayfield.

I’m not fully on board with your assessment of the situation, but the bolded actually made me laugh out loud.  Well done.

• Like (+1) 2

Maybe he never got along with him. Maybe he didn't agree with his decisions as the head coach. Now that he is gone he can be a little more vocal about it.

Hue was a failure as a head coach, so it makes sense to me the Mayfield would realize that from day one and see the evidence of his failures.

He probably didn't appreciate the power struggle between Jackson and the offensive and defensive coordinators.

I don't blame him at all.

2 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

The weird part was that Jackson was fired...he didn't quit and sign on with a rival.  I guess he is never allowed to work again!

Must be be more to this story than the public knows. They may have fired him due to starting Taylor not the Rook!. 

Hue is terrible. That being said we have no idea what their relationship was like internally. It seems from the outside that Baker and Hue did not get along. I like Baker I dislike Hue. Going back to last year the way he would run through qbs in one game was a joke. If I was an nfl owner I wouldn’t let him anywhere near my football team. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

All it shows me is he is an ultra competitor like Brady and Brees, and like Peyton Manning was.  That is what you want in a QB imo.

I agree. I saw the interview in question with Baker Mayfield, and have seen numerous others. I don't think he was being a "doosh". He stated his opinion in a civil, but disapproving way, in the context of studying all week to beat the rival Bengals - knowing his former coach had joined the Browns' cross state rivals to use his knowledge to defeat the rookie QB.

Mayfield is ultra competitive (and talented). I watched most of the first half of the Browns win at Cincinatti. He was unbelievable - leading the Browns to 4 touchdowns in as many drives. Write it down, he is the next Drew Brees.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Bfanlc said:

I think Baker knew Hue was holding him back. Look at what's happened since he left. 

That's fine, but to me it seemed like he was kicking a man when he was down in order for him to win points with his fan base.  Was classless and immature.  

5 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My initial reaction was “this kid has no class.”  Yet he’s a kid I guess.  I don’t know.  His behavior in that moment was classless.  I don’t know that I’m ready to completely judge his character though.

He was the oldest QB taken at 23 yrs old.

Darnold Rosen and Jackson were 21

Our beloved Cornfed is 22.

Not surprised he didn't take the high road,he loves to rock the boat.

6 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

He clearly disrespected Hue Jackson in his post game interview for seeking gainful employment (after being fired) with a division opponent.

There may be more behind the scene re: Mayfield/Jackson, but I thought it was uncouth of him to put Hue on blast on television.  Thoughts?

Edit:  

I like Mayfield but my first thought was that it was disrespectful . He s still immature and doesn't realize that Hue was not trying to get back at him in some way by joining the "enemy". Guess he forgot that he was in Cincy long before he was in Cleveland. This is a business kid not personal.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

That's fine, but to me it seemed like he was kicking a man when he was down in order for him to win points with his fan base.  Was classless and immature.  

You mean like Hue's media tour after he was fired where he indirectly blamed everybody but himself, and tried to rewrite history by saying he wanted Wentz and Watson? Classless and immature like that?

1 hour ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Yeah.. acts like he didn't transfer from Tech to Oklahoma. You da turncoat Baker. Hue got fired and took a job! You dumped the Big12 team that launched your career for a better program to **** on your old team for.. Baker reasons.

That, or Tech wouldn't offer their starting freshman walk on QB a scholarship, so he left.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I didn't mind that he basically rejected the man-hug.

But I thought what he said was stupid. Hue didn't quit and join the other team in the state. He got fired. At that point, he's gotta do what's best for him, just like Baker would in his shoes. This idea that he shouldn't go to the Bengals out of some kind of loyalty to the team that fired him is a joke. 

The fact that Baker Mayfield Quarterbacked for Texas Tech for the 2013 season then voluntarily LEFT Texas Tech to play for RIVAL University of Oklahoma wouldn't make Baker a schmuck, would it? ?

Mayfield has no "high horse" to look down from.

• Like (+1) 2