Was Baker Mayfield a DOUCHE Yesterday?

He clearly disrespected Hue Jackson in his post game interview for seeking gainful employment (after being fired) with a division opponent.

There may be more behind the scene re: Mayfield/Jackson, but I thought it was uncouth of him to put Hue on blast on television.  Thoughts?

Edit:  

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

He clearly disrespected Hue Jackson in his post game interview for seeking gainful employment (after being fired) with a division opponent.

There may be more behind the scene re: Mayfield/Jackson, but I thought it was uncouth of him to put Hue on blast on television.  Thoughts?

The weird part was that Jackson was fired...he didn't quit and sign on with a rival.  I guess he is never allowed to work again!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

All it shows me is he is an ultra competitor like Brady and Brees, and like Peyton Manning was.  That is what you want in a QB imo.

I think there's a few things at play, here.

1.  Mayfield is young and perhaps a bit immature.

2.  Mayfield, at his age, may not realize that a man Hue Jackson's age isn't going to have many opportunities in the NFL; especially after getting fired after a Peterman-esque career in Cleveland.

3.  Mayfield is trying to win over a team and a fan base.  On the heels of throwing 4 TDs and no INTs, he took an opportunity to pound his chest one more time that day.

I would be shocked that, 5+ years down the road, Mayfield wouldn't have handled it with a tad more grace/subtlety and professionalism.  

But he's a kid.  I don't think he crossed any lines.  That said, if he came out with those remarks as a seasoned vet, I'd likely feel differently.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 10

3 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

All it shows me is he is an ultra competitor like Brady and Brees, and like Peyton Manning was.  That is what you want in a QB imo.

I don’t think any of the QB’s you mentioned would have handled that situation the same way...even as a rook.

2 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

He can have a job. Who cares? Doesn't mean he gets the respect of his former team or any team. The man will continue to lose. He's a loser. Baker is a winner.

Fair enough, but the real issue here is not whether or not Hue deserved such criticism.  It is more about Baker, the face of the franchise, taking the liberty to do so publically.

• Like (+1) 2

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Honestly I thought you were talking about what happened on the field.  I am not aware of what he said after the game.

4 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

He can have a job. Who cares? Doesn't mean he gets the respect of his former team or any team. The man will continue to lose. He's a loser. Baker is a winner.

The question wasn't about career success.  It was about whether Mayfield was a douche and.....yup.  

Look at me.  I'm a winner.  Now I can talk crap all I want and have no class.  The fruits of my labor have really paid off.  Now I'll cash them in by treating other people like crap.  Yay me!

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Fair enough, but the real issue here is not whether or not Hue deserved such criticism.  It is more about Baker, the face of the franchise, taking the liberty to do so publically.

Why not? If some loser was stinking up my workplace, making bonehead decisions that made me do a worse job, I might take a jab or two if given the opportunity. It's not like he came out and said, "Hue is a f'kin idiot who thinks he can go to a division rival and get back at us. Nice try loser."

And yes Baker is a bit of an arrogant douchebag but a hell of a QB. That's why he went #1.  The way things are playing out, I hope JA turns out to be the best of the bunch. He's a strong #2 right now.

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

The question wasn't about career success.  It was about whether Mayfield was a douche and.....yup.  

The response was an answer to another question. Baker's a douche but a winner. Hue is an idiot and a loser. Hue made Baker a worse QB and he took a tiny shot. No biggie to me. 

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Why not? If some loser was stinking up my workplace, making bonehead decisions that made me do a worse job, I might take a jab or two if given the opportunity. It's not like he came out and said, "Hue is a f'kin idiot who thinks he can go to a division rival and get back at us. Nice try loser."

And yes Baker is a bit of an arrogant douchebag but a hell of a QB. That's why he went #1.  The way things are playing out, I hope JA turns out to be the best of the bunch. He's a strong #2 right now.

Okay...but I can think of a few reasons why not.  I think they’re obvious.

3 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Jackson participated in selecting Mayfield #1 overall.  Hasn't that earned him "if you can't say something nice about someone don't say anything at all" status?  

Winners don't blame others for doing a lesser job and take jabs at them.  Immature people do that.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My initial reaction was “this kid has no class.”  Yet he’s a kid I guess.  I don’t know.  His behavior in that moment was classless.  I don’t know that I’m ready to completely judge his character though.

...somebody should remind this kid that it is Hugh's THIRD trip through Cincy....

• Like (+1) 1