How much more mileage is left on the Shady chasis?

I've been through this before over the last several days when posting about Mr. Shady.  Shaw and his follows flock to say he's the same old RB and with an upgraded line he'd be great!  I don't see that at all.  You play with what you have.  They  (The Old Shaw Group) refer to the Jets game of 2 weeks ago as proof that the dusty, musty Shade Lamp is as good as ever.  26 carries for 113 yards.  They seem to forget we were playing the Jets and Matt Barkley threw the ball all over the field.  And, subtract the one 'big' run by McCoy of 28 yards and he averaged just 3.4 yards per carry which is his 2018 average. 

The man is done.

He was fading hard last season. Marcus Murphy when given the opportunity (which has been few and far in between) has consistently outproduced McCoy.  The kid runs hard and explodes through the hole, which is exactly where McCoy has been deficient.  It's not that McCoy looks slow, he's just not accelerating through the hole, he almost slows down or sometimes comes to a dead stop upon taking the hand off, which baffles me.  He has way too many negative rushes and I'm of the opinion that Muphy, Ivory and McCoy should be splitting carries (5-10 touches a piece).

I love Shady and think he's been a huge net positive for this team over the past few years but his play this year has been down.  He too often gets tackled for negative yardage when he could get a couple yards and those extra few yards puts the offense in a worse position for the remaining downs.   As much as it pains me to say it, I think we need to be looking very hard for his replacement in this next upcoming draft.  We need someone who will look to hit the hole with a more lateral mentality who will put the offense in a better position to move the sticks.

4 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

LeSean McCoy's production has deteriorated dramatically this year.  Instead of shifty and quick, he looked slow and shiftless yesterday.  I am not even sure his production is that of an RB2 at this stage, let alone consider him an elite running back.  Is the slide reversible, or is this season an aberration? 

Unfortunately, aging is not reversible. 

I just wonder what trade offers Beane got for him..  Seems like a wasted opportunity not trading him given we'll pry release him given we'll save 6.3 million in cap space next year doing so.  Unless, the market for Shady wasn't what some of us thought it was.  He has hit that dreadful running back age.

It happens to all great backs, age catches up to everyone. I remember watching Ladanian play out his twilight years in NY and he would show flashes of what made him so brilliant and people would think that he still has some left in the tank but it was just that flashes.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

LeSean McCoy's production has deteriorated dramatically this year.  Instead of shifty and quick, he looked slow and shiftless yesterday.  I am not even sure his production is that of an RB2 at this stage, let alone consider him an elite running back.  Is the slide reversible, or is this season an aberration? 

It's a good question.

My guess is that he won't look as slow as he has recently every time out, but he also won't look as quick as he used to very often.

I think this is the first sign of the inevitable.

I think there is more than most are assuming.   He has gone through spurts where he dances more than he should, a couple years ago we would try and bounce everything outside at the beginning of the season before he corrected it.  He is in one of those funks again now.  He needs to just get what he can on a lot of plays he is taking losses due to his dancing.  One cut and go, that is what works for him.   I know his numbers are down but I dont think he hit the wall.   Having said that I think there is a good chance the Bills move on from him this offseason.  Between his age, contract and girl friend situation....

He's starting to remind me of CJ Spiller's last year or two.

I keep hoping for something to pop, but mostly it's pffft.

He's going down with arm tackles and stumbled/lost his balance a couple of times on Sunday.

He would have gotten a lot more out of a few runs even two years ago and those extra yards on a few runs makes a big difference in his usefulness.

10 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Upgrade our line and there are 40 cheaper backs that will get more production than McCoy has this year.  Yesterday you saw an elite RB in Leonard Fournette.   Put fournette on the Bills and all of sudden our line would put up great run blocking stats. 

Is cap room in 2019 an issue?  And disagree with the Fournette statement.  His YPA is under 4 for his young career and has been largely terrible this year.  We had poor gap integrity on a bunch of runs in that game.

4 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

My prediction is that he is still here Week 1 2019

Agreed - I'm not sure we'll be counting on him like we used to, but the guy can block, catch, and is still tough to tackle 1x1.  Why would u release that guy when you legit already have 90 million in cap available?  His cap hit is high, but we haven't drafted his replacement yet and typically you want to see how those players fit before you move on.