Hire Kliff Kingsbury

C.Biscuit97

McDermott has shown he knows what he is doing on offense but he has looked terrible with offensive decisions.  Enter Kliff.  He was over his head as a first time head coach but he still had some great offenses.  Coming off getting fired, a nfl OC job is the perfect way to fix his rep.  He has shown a history of developing nfl qbs.  You hire him and let him pick some offensive talent here.  

This regime is all about Josh Allen.  Personally, I think it was an insult risky pick but hiring Daboll, as nice of a guy as he probably is, isn’t going all out for Allen.  Hire a guy with a proven offensive track record.  This is the type of thinking that separates teams like the Rams and the Jags. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/11/25/why-kliff-kingsbury-should-be-the-nfls-next-offensive-coordinator-hire/amp/

Kliff-Kingsbury-Texas-Tech-football-coac

• Like (+1) 2

He's like Mike Leach, minus all the wins then.

Didn't we hear the same thing about Leach?  The next great NFL offensive mind, etc?  I don't think it should be the Bills job to sacrifice a coordinator position so this kid can "fix his rep".

Running up the points and yards in the Big 12 isn't much of resume stuffer for the NFL.  Let him work some assistant or position coach job first.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's like Mike Leach, minus all the wins then.

Didn't we hear the same thing about Leach?  The next great NFL offensive mind, etc?  I don't think it should be the Bills job to sacrifice a coordinator position so this kid can "fix his rep".

Running up the points and yards in the Big 12 isn't much of resume stuffer for the NFL.  Let him work some assistant or position coach job first.

In the last 4 years, he’s developed Pat Mahomes, Baker Mayfield, and David Webb.  Leach has done anything close to this.  

I know we watch antiquated football in Buffalo but wide open passing attacks is what the league is becoming.  This is a move a forward thinking franchise makes.  Of course, we throw parades when our Qb completed 8 passes so we cause heart attacks if we start averaging more than 14 points/ game.

17 minutes ago, bbb said:

Do the chicks come with him?

I’m sure he will have no problem finding some new ones.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

In the last 4 years, he’s developed Pat Mahomes, Baker Mayfield, and David Webb.  Leach has done anything close to this.  

I know we watch antiquated football in Buffalo but wide open passing attacks is what the league is becoming.  This is a move a forward thinking franchise makes.  Of course, we throw parades when our Qb completed 8 passes so we cause heart attacks if we start averaging more than 14 points/ game.

He didn't "develop"  Mayfield----he had 5 starts and left for Oklahoma. 

Davis Webbis an NFL washout, as was Kliff's other "development"....Johnny Manziel.

Mahomes is an unusual talent.  Besides, I read here that Andy Reid developed him.

The article you cited basically says that he comes to work in early in the morning and his QBs are very well prepard---for Big 12 defenses. 

Again, why give such an important job to a guy who was fired from his only significant job (and it was in NCAA0 so far?  Let him be QB coach to see if he can develop an actual NFL QB?  Why wouldn't that make more sense?

• Like (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

McDermott has shown he knows what he is doing on offense but he has looked terrible with offensive decisions.  Enter Kliff.  He was over his head as a first time head coach but he still had some great offenses.  Coming off getting fired, a nfl OC job is the perfect way to fix his rep.  He has shown a history of developing nfl qbs.  You hire him and let him pick some offensive talent here.  

This regime is all about Josh Allen.  Personally, I think it was an insult risky pick but hiring Daboll, as nice of a guy as he probably is, isn’t going all out for Allen.  Hire a guy with a proven offensive track record.  This is the type of thinking that separates teams like the Rams and the Jags. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/11/25/why-kliff-kingsbury-should-be-the-nfls-next-offensive-coordinator-hire/amp/

I love all the recommendations of bringing in a guy and adding talent as the solution and that McD is the issue. Maybe we just continue to add talent and let McD continue to do his thing. Next year we have picks and $$$$. KB will be gone and we'll get a comp pick there as well. The team is progressing in all 3 phases, even with the two babes I'd pass and let the process continue to progress.

• Like (+1) 3

I don't have a problem with hiring him as a QB coach or some sort of offensive assistant. He was drafted by the Patriots in 2003 so some of the concepts would mesh. Brian Daboll was the receivers coach on that Super Bowl winning staff in 2003 so there is a bit of a match there. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I agree, we should hire him.  Problem being, we may only have him for a year if we turn the corner next year.  Everyone will see him as the 2nd coming of Mcvay and overlook the fact that we had 85 mill in cap room to spend, 10 draft picks and one of the most physically talented QBs ever.  

It could be one fun season though 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Davis Webbis an NFL washout, as was Kliff's other "development"....Johnny Manziel.

Mahomes is an unusual talent.  Besides, I read here that Andy Reid developed him.

The article you cited basically says that he comes to work in early in the morning and his QBs are very well prepard---for Big 12 defenses. 

Again, why give such an important job to a guy who was fired from his only significant job (and it was in NCAA0 so far?  Let him be QB coach to see if he can develop an actual NFL QB?  Why wouldn't that make more sense?

Typical WEO.  You spent all offseason crushing Reid being overrated as an Offensive coach, now you’re giving him credit for Mahomes? Or Mahomes is such a special talent that his college coach didn’t help him get 50 tds in college?  Which one is it?  Or perhaps, and this is wild, maybe both guys really helped Mahomes develop into a record setting nfl qb?

Aaron Rodgers wont make it in the nfl because he was a Tedford qb.  Mahomes is just an air raid product.  Great franchise take risks.  But when you have an offense that is averaging 14 points/ game after scoring 60 the last 2 weeks, why upset that?

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I agree, we should hire him.  Problem being, we may only have him for a year if we turn the corner next year.  Everyone will see him as the 2nd coming of Mcvay and overlook the fact that we had 85 mill in cap room to spend, 10 draft picks and one of the most physically talented QBs ever.  

It could be one fun season though 

Our number 1 priority is developing Josh Allen.  Daboll has no history of being a dynamic offensive mind.  

For once, wouldn’t it be nice to the team that hired the young, gifted coach? Of course, we’ll fire Daboll and hire Nate Hackett because his dad gave McDermott a job once.

32 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I love all the recommendations of bringing in a guy and adding talent as the solution and that McD is the issue. Maybe we just continue to add talent and let McD continue to do his thing. Next year we have picks and $$$$. KB will be gone and we'll get a comp pick there as well. The team is progressing in all 3 phases, even with the two babes I'd pass and let the process continue to progress.

His offensive evaluation has been dreadful to be kind.  Our offense is awful. 

44 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Right? Beyond why he should be hired, why would he be considered for an OC position? Daboll hasn't had a QB all season worthy of anyone effectively evaluating his offensive scheme. The only serviceable option was Allen, who up until this past week required half-field reads. Even with this past week, Daboll's play book has been exclusively condensed to the jet sweep and play action due to the offensive roster. Once Barkley stepped in and we addressed the need for speed in the WR corps you started to see a bit more of Daboll's playbook - which has concepts OP mentions they would like to see (i.e. hank and mesh, spread, play action, etc.). I'll give Daboll an offensive roster before saying it's time to move on.

That being said, I do think we need more faculty in the way of qb coach, and while it's hard to gauge who has contributed the most, Culley seems to be the expendable piece of this puzzle. I know Jordan Palmer was talked about, but I'd even be crazy enough to offer Tony Romo a spot developing this kid. Who knows, if Daboll doesn't pan out we can have him step in as the interim OC and see where that goes. If bringing anyone in at all, we should bring in a QB coach capable of developing Allen with the added benefit of being able to step in at OC should Daboll not work out long term. 

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ctk232 said:

Right? Beyond why he should be hired, why would he be considered for an OC position? Daboll hasn't had a QB all season worthy of anyone effectively evaluating his offensive scheme. The only serviceable option was Allen, who up until this past week required half-field reads. Even with this past week, Daboll's play book has been exclusively condensed to the jet sweep and play action due to the offensive roster. Once Barkley stepped in and we addressed the need for speed in the WR corps you started to see a bit more of Daboll's playbook - which has concepts OP mentions they would like to see (i.e. hank and mesh, spread, play action, etc.). I'll give Daboll an offensive roster before saying it's time to move on.

That being said, I do think we need more faculty in the way of qb coach, and while it's hard to gauge who has contributed the most, Culley seems to be the expendable piece of this puzzle. I know Jordan Palmer was talked about, but I'd even be crazy enough to offer Tony Romo a spot developing this kid. Who knows, if Daboll doesn't pan out we can have him step in as the interim OC and see where that goes. If bringing anyone in at all, we should bring in a QB coach capable of developing Allen with the added benefit of being able to step in at OC should Daboll not work out long term. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/DaboBr0.htm

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

My points still stand? I get he hasn't had a great track record thus far, but that doesn't exactly speak to the present. You could say the same about Kingsbury's failed HC tenure. I'm not saying Daboll is our long lost OC we've been waiting for, but I am saying it's too early for any action to be taken to move on from him. I think we can make a move to bring in guys for QB coach with expectation they can take over should Daboll not work out. 

Even though I'm all for failed HCs as coordinators...

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

My points still stand? I get he hasn't had a great track record thus far, but that doesn't exactly speak to the present. You could say the same about Kingsbury's failed HC tenure. I'm not saying Daboll is our long lost OC we've been waiting for, but I am saying it's too early for any action to be taken to move on from him. I think we can make a move to bring in guys for QB coach with expectation they can take over should Daboll not work out. 

Even though I'm all for failed HCs as coordinators...

With due respect, you don’t see the difference between being a failed first time head coach and a consistently bad OC?  I think Tech averaged around 40 points while KK was there.  He worked with the best young qb in the nfl and worked with the first overall pick this year. Daboll’s only “successes” have been with NE and Alabama, where we could have been successful there. 

This is is a bold move.  SM, as much as I doubt his football philosophy, isn’t going anywhere.  But the Rams fires their defensive minded coach to hire a young offensive one.  The same with the Bears. Mahomes has one of the best offensive coaches in the nfl.  Watson has an offensive head coach.  I’d argue that Allen is rawer than any of those guys. But Bills fans should be happy with our 14 point offense. 

I don't understand why the BIlls don't just mail Jordan Palmer a blank check to be the quarterback's coach for Allen and the Bills.  He seemed to do a great job between the draft and the start of the season working with Allen.  Of all the places this franchise can spend money, it seems like over paying for Palmer might be a smart move.  There is no "cap" on coaches salaries. If Allen continues to develop with Palmer's help, then every penny of that money spent will be a bargain.

Leave Daboll in place for another year to see what he can do with an offense with some talent on it,  bring in a real, accomplished quarterback coach to help Allen develop, and move Culley on to some other position.  Culley has spent all of his time in the league as a wide receiver's coach, maybe that would be a better fit for him in this organization. 

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1