Hire Kliff Kingsbury

C.Biscuit97

15 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He started a true freshman walk on.  It was the first time ever a BCS school has ever done that.  

But awesome point.  The 1st time head coach started a true freshman walk on (who became the 1st overall pick), replaced him with a 3rd round pick, and then replaced him with the 10th overall pick who is setting nfl records.  Clearly, he has no idea what he is doing. 

Then he decided that he would have to compete with Davis Webb, despite all of the accolades Mayfield won as a Freshman walk on.  Mayfield essentially called him  on it and left town. 

"Recruited walk-on"....LOL.

When Mayfield left, Webb was the starter and Mahomes only "replaced" him after he was twice injured.  The next year, Mahomes was throwing for over 400 yards on week 1--must have been all that "development" Kingsbury was doing of his backup QB!!

But anyway, your misguided argument aside, this is about the NFL, not the Big 12.    Let someone who knows what they are doing run the Bills Offense.  You really can't be serious about Kingsbury coming in and running the whole offense.  That's a joke, right?  Maybe he can come in as a QB coach.  I wold be supportive of that.  But OC is crazy.  He's an NFL nobody.

Edited by Mr. WEO

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Then he decided that he would have to compete with Davis Webb, despite all of the accolades Mayfield won as a Freshman walk on.  Mayfield essentially called him  on it and left town. 

"Recruited walk-on"....LOL.

When Mayfield left, Webb was the starter and Mahomes only "replaced" him after he was twice injured.  The next year, Mahomes was throwing for over 400 yards on week 1--must have been all that "development" Kingsbury was doing of his backup QB!!

But anyway, your misguided argument aside, this is about the NFL, not the Big 12.    Let someone who knows what they are doing run the Bills Offense.  You really can't be serious about Kingsbury coming in and running the whole offense.  That's a joke, right?  Maybe he can come in as a QB coach.  I wold be supportive of that.  But OC is crazy.  He's an NFL nobody.

You’re the guy who tried to put down Andy Reid’s offensive resume.  You have no idea what you’re talking about. 

And Lincoln Riley will be a NFL head coach.  The game of football has passed you by old man.  He days of 8 completed passes and runs on 3rd down are done. 

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

You’re the guy who tried to put down Andy Reid’s offensive resume.  You have no idea what you’re talking about. 

And Lincoln Riley will be a NFL head coach.  The game of football has passed you by old man.  He days of 8 completed passes and runs on 3rd down are done. 

Now you are putting "Kliff Kingsbury" in with Lincoln Reilly??  Man you'v got to stop.

Your argument is "it's either Daboll or Klingsbury.  Come on...

The Andy Reid stuff is a non sequitur.  This is my signal that your ship is sinking .  Stay on point, bruv......

15 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Good post and dialogue.  My counters:

1) points by starter:  Peterman 6 points/ game (2 GS), Anderson 5.5 (2 GS), Barkley 41/ game!!!, and Allen 16.2/ game (6 GS).  I also put blame on the OC for the qb situation.  

Also, Hurts regressed under Daboll after being SEC offensive player of the year as a freshman. 

2) Texas tech started a true freshman and averaged 33.7 points.  

3)  what’s more likely:  KK thrives solely concentrating on offense in a nfl that values wide open offenses? Or Daboll fields another bottom 5 offense?  

Its not not so much about Daboll as it is about doing whatever you can to maximize a major investment.  The Titans stuck with Mularkey to keep consistency with Mariota.  The Bucs did the same thing with Dirk K.  

There is is no rule that says Buffalo has to watch awful offense.  Ask yourself what Dick Jauron would do or what Sean McVay would do?  Jauron keeps Daboll. 

1. I can't really speak to Daboll's college success or lack thereof, since I barely follow two NCAA conferences outside of what gets national attention, but I'm not sure the points per starter reflects on the OC as much as it does the issues with the Bills roster. I fault McD more than Daboll since McD at least has personnel authority to influence signings and releases - Daboll was more or less handed a stable of QBs that were anything but proven, a hobbled together WR corps, and porous OL, and was asked to implement his offense in it's first year. Like I said, I can't excuse Daboll entirely, but the points per game per starter seems to reflect to me more so the talent of the QB and the receivers/protection around him. It's been said that Daboll's book has been limited by his QB's - Peterman couldn't throw outside the numbers or consistently read defenses, so he could only scheme short quick throws, Anderson should never have been on the field had things gone correctly, but what are you going to do for a guy who just came out of retirement two weeks ago? Daboll had to simplify the book so much that Pryor was able to play 75 of 80 something snaps after only four days with the Bills - that's absurd for any receiver just joining a team. And Allen, up until last week, could only scheme play action and run plays, which is still the majority of his looks (Daboll schemeing to his QB). Barkley was a trial balloon after we started to bring on more speed to combat our lack of separation issue in the corps and you saw the playbook start to expand again. I can see why it's attributable, but to the best of my informed knowledge the performances seen thus far have been more the reflection of a talentless offense and barely serviceable/development QBs handicapping Daboll, who is in his first year trying to establish an entire offense.

2. Credit to however much of that success with a true freshman was due to KK. But a true freshmen succeeding likely has a lot more to do with either his own talent level and/or the talent level of the players around him. Yes, he would obviously need an offense to thrive within, which was arguably provided. To note, they averaged 33.7 points per game in 2013 in KK's first year, Mahomes didn't start until the year after averaging 29.5 ppg, if you mean under Webb then sure. In all honesty, ~30 ppg in college isn't all that spectacular considering almost over 50 teams every year average that or more, and the defensive talent and schemes have much larger disparity than the offensive talents offsetting a lot of what you see. Again, not saying KK wouldn't be a good NFL OC, I couldn't guarantee that one way or the other, but I have a hard time relying solely on these stats to say so without any context as to what else may have contributed to these numbers (i.e. roster talent, difficulty of competition, assistant coaches/coordinators, booster support, etc.). I don't discredit his success, just skeptical to take numbers at face value and pass judgment accordingly.

3. No one could say what would be the more likely outcome. KK doesn't have any NFL experience whatsoever, and could just as easily drown in his first year. He could end up like Saban, always the ncaa guru but never the nfl success - or he could be McVay, there's literally nothing to guarantee it one way or the other. It's just as likely that Daboll doesn't field a bottom five offense next year as he doesn't have Peterman/Anderson starting six of his games, and will have a different offensive roster. Again, not confirming any absolutes, Daboll could just as well flop next year. But it would be more prudent to have someone like KK on staff as a QB coach to familiarize himself first with the NFL, then the offensive roster, and then have the ability to step in at any time should Daboll not be able to do the job. How likely is KK to take a QB coach position? Not sure - can bet he'll want to either vie for an HC position or go offensive coach on a team like KC or LA. The ideal situation for me is bring someone like him in for QB coach, let him get rapport with Allen and grasp the scope of the project he'd be undertaking. Continue with Daboll for consistency and measure the success - if it continues favorably, great, if not, at least we have an interim to potentially longterm solution able to step right in without missing much of a beat. He'd even be able to institute some of his own playbook pieces at a time if he were to enter mid-season, and fully convert in the off-season. Thing is, it's Allen - kid needs to show more than just play action and jet sweep consistently for any OC to work. Reason why you're seeing what you're seeing in LA and KC is the scheme fits the QB, can't force a scheme on an offense that can't run it effectively. Consistency is what Allen needs for now, but bringing in someone to the staff as a contingency doesn't make any resulting transition a difficult one to see through. If it's the more logical route, why not?

Edited by ctk232

I've done a deep dive into the NFL rulebook and found something shocking: It's actually legal to retain an OC for consecutive seasons. Crazy but here me out guys: why don't we retain the guy who's offense has been improving and give the rookie qb some continuity in year 2.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He didn't "develop"  Mayfield----he had 5 starts and left for Oklahoma. 

Davis Webbis an NFL washout, as was Kliff's other "development"....Johnny Manziel.

Mahomes is an unusual talent.  Besides, I read here that Andy Reid developed him.

The article you cited basically says that he comes to work in early in the morning and his QBs are very well prepard---for Big 12 defenses. 

Again, why give such an important job to a guy who was fired from his only significant job (and it was in NCAA0 so far?  Let him be QB coach to see if he can develop an actual NFL QB?  Why wouldn't that make more sense?

This is exactly what I was thinking. He can be a QB coach to Allen, but to me Daboll has done a lot with very little. As noted in a week or two ago, Daboll has had the fewest number of the same plays run in the NFL this year and that says something considering the cast he's had to work with...so, I give Daboll all of next year after McD and Beane get him an NFL level Offensive line across all positions, some depth at the line, and WRs that can catch. Now, Zay, Foster and McKenzie have come along nicely, but there is still quite a ways to go for them to be consistently considered good NFL WRs. Add in the dead wood cutting of Clay and Holmes and you see where they need a TE and at least 3 WRs with 1 to start on the outside and two more good ones for depth / STs. Once that happens, let's see how Allen and the Offense responds, and that's also not considering what happens with Shady and Iovry, both of whom I don't think are in Buffalo for 2019 and IF Shady stays, it's in a supportive role, not a featured one. Just my .02

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The ranks are bad but he never really had a chance to succeed at any of these stops.  Look at the starting QBs Daboll had to work with:

2009 - CLE -  Brady Quinn (9) / Derek Anderson (7)

2010 - CLE - Colt McCoy (8) / Jake Delhomme (4) / Seneca Wallace (4) - HC Eric Mangini fired after the season

2011 - MIA - Chad Henne (4)Matt Moore (12) - HC Tony Sparano fired with 3 games remaining

2012 - KC - Matt Cassel (8) / Brady Quinn (8) - HC Romeo Crennel fired after the season

I don't think any coach could be successful with those QBs and having to deal with all that change.  I also don't think we know what type of system he can run because he's never had the players to run it.  For Allen's sake, I think some continuity would be good. 

I'd be fine with adding Kingsbury to the coaching staff as an offensive assistant or QB coach, just not the OC. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

23 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

McDermott has shown he knows what he is doing on offense but he has looked terrible with offensive decisions.  Enter Kliff.  He was over his head as a first time head coach but he still had some great offenses.  Coming off getting fired, a nfl OC job is the perfect way to fix his rep.  He has shown a history of developing nfl qbs.  You hire him and let him pick some offensive talent here.  

This regime is all about Josh Allen.  Personally, I think it was an insult risky pick but hiring Daboll, as nice of a guy as he probably is, isn’t going all out for Allen.  Hire a guy with a proven offensive track record.  This is the type of thinking that separates teams like the Rams and the Jags. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/11/25/why-kliff-kingsbury-should-be-the-nfls-next-offensive-coordinator-hire/amp/

Kliff-Kingsbury-Texas-Tech-football-coac

As a Abs workout coach? I’d consider it. He looks to have the process down 

• Haha (+1) 1