If there was a Re Draft right now, who would you take, Allen or Darnold?

BillsFan130

Allen or Darnold?  

278 members have voted

1. 1. Allen or Darnold?

9 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

The reason I had Lamar as my #1 QB in the class and still do is because his running ability is so insanely special that even being a below average passer should be enough for him to be a good starting QB. With the exception of Baker, I don't think any of the other rookies are significantly better throwing the ball than Lamar is right now. In fact, I'm not sure they're better at all.

FIRST and foremost > A QB has to be able to stand tall in the pocket and deliver the ball ,

when your behind in the 4th Q with 2:00 min remaining do I really need to keep going ???

And BTW as far as running abilities for a QB I don’t need a Barry Sanders I’m MORE then pleased from what I’ve seen in Allen yesterday 

I would take Allen over Darnold.

On a similar note, but completely different question; there are rumors that Aaron Rodgers will likely not finish his career in GB, and even that he may have already, or soon will, request a trade. Some (random chatter I hear on sports radio) feel he has about 4 to 5 years left and that his skills are diminishing, though his numbers remain solid (TD to INT ratio is ridiculous - shout out to Poyer). I think it is apparent he looks better now (these past two games) since he his healthy and has mostly regained his full mobility. 

Obviously this is hypothetical, which requires some assumptions, but assume Rodgers wants out of GB and does have 4 good years left (similar level of play as this season). Would you trade Allen straight up for four years of Aaron Rodgers producing at the level he is currently demonstrating he can play at? It is a complete unknown what exactly Allen will achieve, but for the sake of this question, assume he continues to progress and display signs of positive development.

I do not mean to hijack this thread, but it is all "would you rather" QB discussion, and I did not see much need for a completely new thread.

Edited by DisplacedBillsFan
Additional Statement

2 hours ago, Codyny13 said:

I think now he is def, but pre-draft I think a lot of people were iffy on him. His size or whatever.

This is true, but I was on for Mayfield anyway - I just saw him look too amazing in too many games in college.  Crazy accuracy.  His size IS an issue, and I didn't think any of the QBs was an across the board lock, but Mayfield was certainly the most impressive on the field and my #1, followed by Allen and Rosen.  Darnold never did it for me - too many dumb turnovers and unimpressive throws in big games.

17 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Newton was literally the best player in college in the best conference, won a NC, after winning a JUCO NC, and set Rmroplie passing records.

i think people severely underrate how good Newton is. 

Newton also played on a great team in college.   I can't speak for everyone, but I am comfortable saying he's not nearly as good as HE thinks he is.

Edited by BobChalmers

26 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Newton was literally the best player in college in the best conference, won a NC, after winning a JUCO NC, and set Rmroplie passing records.

i think people severely underrate how good Newton is. 

Allen won a game. So you know. He is better than newton. 

36 minutes ago, Putin said:

FIRST and foremost > A QB has to be able to stand tall in the pocket and deliver the ball ,

when your behind in the 4th Q with 2:00 min remaining do I really need to keep going ???

And BTW as far as running abilities for a QB I don’t need a Barry Sanders I’m MORE then pleased from what I’ve seen in Allen yesterday 

Again, refer to my last sentence in which I said I'm not sure Allen, Darnold, or Rosen are better passers right now either. All 3 of those guys have been objectively bad passers this season. Lamar has statistically been better than all of them even after removing all rushing numbers. Obviously it's a small sample size with all of them and an even smaller sample size with Lamar, but the only reason I'm feeling any less confident in ranking Lamar as my #1 QB prospect last offseason is because Baker has been better than advertised IMO. The other 3 haven't done anything to make me feel less confident in taking Lamar over them.

Edited by DCOrange

Very tough question.  I actually think it was easier to separate them back in April.

Prior to the draft, I liked them in the following order:

1.  Sam Darnold

2.  Josh Rosen

3.  Baker Mayfield

4.  Josh Allen

Darnold and Rosen have done about what I expected as rookies.  But Mayfield and Allen have done much better than I expected.

All four guys have flashed.  All four guys have struggled.  It's way too early to tell.

35 minutes ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

I would take Allen over Darnold.

On a similar note, but completely different question; there are rumors that Aaron Rodgers will likely not finish his career in GB, and even that he may have already, or soon will, request a trade. Some (random chatter I hear on sports radio) feel he has about 4 to 5 years left and that his skills are diminishing, though his numbers remain solid (TD to INT ratio is ridiculous - shout out to Poyer). I think it is apparent he looks better now (these past two games) since he his healthy and has mostly regained his full mobility. 

Obviously this is hypothetical, which requires some assumptions, but assume Rodgers wants out of GB and does have 4 good years left (similar level of play as this season). Would you trade Allen straight up for four years of Aaron Rodgers producing at the level he is currently demonstrating he can play at? It is a complete unknown what exactly Allen will achieve, but for the sake of this question, assume he continues to progress and display signs of positive development.

I do not mean to hijack this thread, but it is all "would you rather" QB discussion, and I did not see much need for a completely new thread.

I mean I enjoyed our victory over the 3-7 Jags but are posters really asking if they would trade Allen for Rodgers???? I didn’t drink enough in celebration apparently.

32 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

This is true, but I was on for Mayfield anyway - I just saw him look too amazing in too many games in college.  Crazy accuracy.  His size IS an issue, and I didn't think any of the QBs was an across the board lock, but Mayfield was certainly the most impressive on the field and my #1, followed by Allen and Rosen.  Darnold never did it for me - too many dumb turnovers and unimpressive throws in big games.

Newton also played on a great team in college.   I can't speak for everyone, but I am comfortable saying he's not nearly as good as HE thinks he is.

He’s been the MVP, led his team to a 15-1 record and the SB, and is consistently in playoff contention with less than stellar receivers.  If Josh Allen comes close to that, he is a great pick.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

I'd say Allen is a lot like a younger, more raw version of Newton.  Newton struggles with accuracy, even as a veteran.  But he is so big, athletic and mobile that he can create passing opportunities by avoiding the rush, and he has incredible arm strength, so he can make throws that others can't.  Newton came from a big-time program at Auburn, so was not nearly as raw as Allen coming into the league, and if my memory serves me correctly, Newton had one of the best rookie seasons ever for a QB.  Lamar isn't as big and strong as Newton or Allen, but from what I have seen (which is more his college play at Louisville - I have not watched his 2 starts with the Ravens), he is more athletic.

Let me be clear that I am not saying that Josh Allen is not, right now, as good as Cam Newton today, not as good as Cam Newton was his rookie year, or that he will have the same amount of success as Netwon has had in the NFL.  There is just far too small of a sample size to predict that now.  What I was doing in my first post was comparing each of the top rookie QBs this year with the established veteran who they most resemble in terms of physical stature, skill set, future potential if they pan out, etc.  I believe that the best comparison for Allen is Newton.  Another is Big Ben, although I think Allen is more athletic than Ben (as is Newton) and is not as accurate a passer as Ben, at this point (as is Newton).  If Allen pans out and has a career like either one of these guys, the Bills will be pretty fortunate.  I do think that Allen is more of a "gamer" than Newton.  Newton seems to sulk when things don't go well and I will never forget his unwillingness to jump in to the pile to go after a fumble in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl when his team was down less than a TD.  I was pulling for Carolina (and Newton) to beat Denver and they just couldn't get it done.

Edited by msw2112

3 hours ago, Coach55 said:

Early stats - how about this crappy QB for his first 3 years... name that QB

G GS Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate
1 0 15 27 55.6 221 1 3.7 0 0 40 8.2 8.9 14.7 221 94.8
16 16 320 526 60.8 3284 17 3.2 16 3 52 6.2 5.5 10.3 205.3 76.9
11 11 205 356 57.6 2108 11 3.1 15 4.2 68 5.9 4.6 10.3 191.6 67.5

Brees

1 minute ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

I think it's way too early to answer this with much certainty but so far I am extremely pleasantly surprised by JA's athleticism.  I knew that he was athletic but not as much as he has shown so far.  So far he seems to compare well with Cam Newton and if that continues I'd be pretty happy.

Newton passed for 4,000 yards, completed 60% of his passes, had 700 yards rushing, and 14 rush tds as a rookie on a team that was 1-15 the year before him. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Newton passed for 4,000 yards, completed 60% of his passes, had 700 yards rushing, and 14 rush tds as a rookie on a team that was 1-15 the year before him. 

I don't mean that the stats compare to Newton, I jus think to the eye he compares to Newton.  Huge strong dude that can run and bounce off of tacklers, cannon for an arm with some accuracy issues.

Like I said it's early so who really knows but I can't really think of a better player comparison at this stage.

2 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Based on my work done prior to the draft I'd have taken Rosen. I still haven't seen enough from any QB to move me off of that spot.

Definitely too early to tell, but man does Rosen look shaky. His feet are a mess and it almost looks like he's elongated his motion/release for some reason. 

....sorry but they ALL have a long way to go before any comparative analysis or declaration.....despite those TBD'ers and their crystal bawls who said we "definitely took the WRONG Josh"......during Kaep's rise through the ranks, an NFL exec was quoted as saying" 50 games in is a fair window of assessment"....sounds like we are a "tad early"??........

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....sorry but they ALL have a long way to go before any comparative analysis or declaration.....despite those TBD'ers and their crystal bawls who said we "definitely took the WRONG Josh"......during Kaep's rise through the ranks, an NFL exec was quoted as saying" 50 games in is a fair window of assessment"....sounds like we are a "tad early"??........

100 percent it’s too early. Just having some fun and curious to hear some opinions

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

100 percent it’s too early. Just having some fun and curious to hear some opinions

...I know and respect you're having some fun bud......but there are others who STILL believe NOW that we effed this up....for some TBD'ers, seven games is the definition of a "career"....higher math..........

• Like (+1) 1