Jags Fire Hackett and Have Benched Bortles for Kessler

26CornerBlitz

11 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Interestingly the Jags have promoted former Toronto Argonaut HC Scott Milanovich as their new OC. He was a decent head coach in Toronto but an excellent OC in Montreal. St.Doug must be feeling the heat from Coughlin.

Well then, I guess we can expect a lot of rouges in Jacksonville the rest of the season. 

Hackett was a failure here and he fared no better in Jacksonville. Marone was a fool to rehire him. He was also a fool to agree to resign Bortles. Add the huge contract to one of the laziest players in the NFL in Dareus and we have a franchise headed in reverse. The real question is, will these moves save Marone's job? Will they have a new GM going forward or do they stand pat and hope for 2017 to happen again with a new QB under center? If they draft a new QB, they eat that big salary to Dareus whom they signed to win it all in 2018 and 2019 while the rookie develops. The owner has some difficult decisions to make after this season.

Wrapping up Week 12 with one game left on the slate …

1. There were three issues with the Jaguars offense to speak of coming out of the team’s 11th game. First, there was lack of consistency in execution—the playcalls going into the huddle simply weren’t being run as they were drawn up, which could be a result of communication or a revolving door at certain spots, and that manifested in small mistakes all over the place compounding. Second, the team has been decimated by injuries, with seven linemen, four tight ends, the team’s top receiver and its top two running backs among the afflicted. And third, the quarterback hasn’t taken steps forward. So the team pulled the plug on Monday on both OC Nathaniel Hackett and QB Blake Bortles.

I spoke to Hackett in the aftermath, and he was respectful of the call that Doug Marrone (who he’s worked with for the last nine years) made. “I’m grateful to them for giving me the opportunity just to have a chance to call plays,” Hackett said. “We had a great run last year, being in that AFC Championship, getting there and being so close. I mean, we were supposed to win four or five games, we lose [Allen Robinson] in the first game, it was awesome. … Looking back at it, there were things that hurt us with the injuries, but you have to find a way to overcome it. Unfortunately we couldn’t finish games the way we’d have liked. The truth is, my head’s still kind of spinning here.”

2. Last season Bortles survived an August benching to get Jacksonville to the AFC title game and score a big extension, so you never say never. But it sure seems this would be it for the Jaguars quarterback, with the team staring down a very tenuous cap situation in 2019. So the logistics of releasing Bortles? The team still has about $6.5 million in guarantees to account for, which can be offset by whatever another team might be willing to pay him. There’s also $10 million in dead money, on top of that guarantee, to bring the total to be accounted for, if he’s released, to $16.5 million, which is only $4.5 million less than the $21 million cap number he’s scheduled to carry next year if he is on the team. As for the new starter, going to Cody Kessler is likely as much about being able to sell the locker room on its quarterback and giving the team a spark as anything.

I am not sure why, but I feel bad for Hackett.  He seemed over his head, he also seems like a likable person.

Who knows, he may get a head coaching job at a small college. 

Best of luck to Hackett.

Bortles' benching is over due.  I am glad it came a week after our game.  He has had some decent games, but to me he looks like a career backup.  Maybe a couple levels up from EJ.

17 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I hate that I’m defending Marrone but yo idealize the only reason he has had OC jobs is because of Marrone.  Has anyone tout the brilliant offensive mind of Nate Hackett before?  

The Jags flopped big time this year and changes needed to made.  Again, I’m no Marrone fan but what was he supposed to do?

Doesn't alter the fact that Dougie is still as much of a scumbag as Bobby.

17 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...but he's a brilliant offensive mind as former OC for Saints' Payton, right?......." uh Doug, hand me he clipboard please"...........

You think I'm defending Dougie?  Hackett sucks, but Dougie having a person or an organization's back is the kiss of death.

55 minutes ago, Seoulful Soul said:

Doesn't alter the fact that Dougie is still as much of a scumbag as Bobby.

You think I'm defending Dougie?  Hackett sucks, but Dougie having a person or an organization's back is the kiss of death.

...nope....just making a wisecrack about his Saints OC tenure......really think Payton let him call plays?..........

21 hours ago, RiotAct said:

lol I thought he called a pretty good game against us yesterday.  Just keep giving it to Fournette, why not?  Esp. with Bortles as your QB.

I agree--but I wonder why they abandoned that strategy in the 2nd half?

21 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Poor guy has now lost 2 jobs for EJ Manuel and Blake Bortles. I mean I don't know if he's actually a good OC but it's hard to tell.

very good point