Jags Fire Hackett and Have Benched Bortles for Kessler

26CornerBlitz

Unless the owner puts his foot down like Ralph did when he told Marv he couldn't coach when he was the GM,  Coughlin is going to be replacing Marrone on the sidelines in 2019.  He might have to wait until mid-season next year, but St. Doug won't survive another losing season. 

If they're in the market for a QB, a local boy is now available-he even has a 2018 opening day start on his resume. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Looks like one of those Brock Osweiler trades coming up. You guys give us a second round pick and we'll take that guy and part of his salary with it. The Bills should consider this with all the money we have. Would you take a #2 pick and Blake Bortles to be your backup and pay him 16m? That's like buying a #2 pick for 10-12m. I'd consider it. We need a talent upgrade. 

Interesting idea, but Beane just spent two seasons ridding himself of awful contracts.  Don't the Bills have enough cap space and draft picks to address that talent issue without a move like this?

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Looks like one of those Brock Osweiler trades coming up. You guys give us a second round pick and we'll take that guy and part of his salary with it. The Bills should consider this with all the money we have. Would you take a #2 pick and Blake Bortles to be your backup and pay him 16m? That's like buying a #2 pick for 10-12m. I'd consider it. We need a talent upgrade. 

There are lots of teams with loads of 2019 cap room that they won't be able to spend.

1 minute ago, eball said:

Interesting idea, but Beane just spent two seasons ridding himself of awful contracts.  Don't the Bills have enough cap space and draft picks to address that talent issue without a move like this?

They do but they have so much money they could afford to cut out 10m for an extra second round pick. That's like a day one starter. And one you have cheap for 4-5 years. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

There are lots of teams with loads of 2019 cap room that they won't be able to spend.

Yep. Teams didn't used to make trades like that very often if ever. But I wouldn't doubt some team makes it. Bortles is awful but he's as good as half the backups in the league. He's better than Matt Barkley, however much Bills fans would refuse to believe that. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

They do but they have so much money they could afford to cut out 10m for an extra second round pick. That's like a day one starter. And one you have cheap for 4-5 years. 

Yep. Teams didn't used to make trades like that very often if ever. But I wouldn't doubt some team makes it. Bortles is awful but he's as good as half the backups in the league. He's better than Matt Barkley, however much Bills fans would refuse to believe that. 

Definitely better than Barkley and he'll hang around as a backup QB for a number of years I suspect.

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Without knowing how many  players each team has under contract next year those numbers aren't exactly apples to apples. Are any of those teams losing important cogs and that's how they're getting that space? 

Hard to pin this on Hackett. He's been stuck with one of the worst QBs in the league. 

Would have made more sense to bench Bortles and give Hackett a week with Kessler to see if there was a difference than getting rid of both guys at the same time. 

Just now, MDH said:

Without knowing how many  players each team has under contract next year those numbers aren't exactly apples to apples. Are any of those teams losing important cogs and that's how they're getting that space? 

I guarantee you that this site has that in mind and it's an estimate as the tweet says. 

Although it hasn't been announced, a lot of Jets fans I know said thanks a couple weeks ago because losing to the Bills like that is sure to get Bowles fired. This week we get Nate fired. Next week maybe we embarrass Gase so much that he gets the ax. He has a head start by calling draws on two straight late 4th quarter draws on 3rd-10 that got stuffed and lost a 10 point lead 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Hard to pin this on Hackett. He's been stuck with one of the worst QBs in the league. 

Would have made more sense to bench Bortles and give Hackett a week with Kessler to see if there was a difference than getting rid of both guys at the same time. 

Hackett was the worst OC I have literally ever witnessed in all my years watching football during his stint with the Bills.  He has no “benefit of the doubt” credit with me.  

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Hackett was the worst OC I have literally ever witnessed in all my years watching football during his stint with the Bills.  He has no “benefit of the doubt” credit with me.  

To me it's impossible to tell because of Marrone who is an offensive coach and wants a certain type of style and demands conservative power run games and three TE formations and punts from the opponents 40. I'm not saying Nate is any good at all, but I think Marrone runs that offense and style and game plan and forces his stupidity on Hackett. 

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt. Just pointing out that he's only ever had QBs who are complete garbage to work with. 

18 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Looks like one of those Brock Osweiler trades coming up. You guys give us a second round pick and we'll take that guy and part of his salary with it. The Bills should consider this with all the money we have. Would you take a #2 pick and Blake Bortles to be your backup and pay him 8-10m? That's like buying a #2 pick for that much money. I'd consider it. We need a talent upgrade. 

Not a bad idea

I seem to recall the Browns paid about $16Mil to the Texans for the 2nd rounder in the Osweiler deal... do the Bills still do it for that much?

Maybe $8Mil for their third round?