How do you feel about the Bills overall QB situation today?

How do you feel about the Bills overall QB situation today?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Bills overall QB situation today?

• Great! We are on the up and with Barkley backing up Allen, I feel good.
    • This train could easily derail next week--but I'm cautiously optimistic.
    • Terrible. Our QB situation is still one of the worst in the league.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/02/2018 at 06:00 PM

Considering the roller coaster of where we've been this year at the position, I'm hoping and am optimistic we can finally get to some sustained improvement at the position as the last couple weeks have been an absolute 180 from where we sat once JA went down with the elbow in Houston! What say you?

• Like (+1) 1

I'm somewhere between 

Great! We are on the up and with Barkley backing up Allen, I feel good.

This train could easily derail next week--but I'm cautiously optimistic

Good! We look to be on the upside and with Barkley backing up Allen, I feel better.

14 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Considering the roller coaster of where we've been this year at the position, I'm hoping and am optimistic we can finally get to some sustained improvement at the position as the last couple weeks have been an absolute 180 from where we sat once JA went down with the elbow in Houston! What say you?

And yes, this train can derail at any moment.  

• Like (+1) 1

So far, Allen is performing like TT version 2.   Low passing yards, running the ball....been there done that.  Until Allen starts putting up 300 yard games, I am not a believer.  Until he does that, we will not know if he can be a modern franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

I like ( a lot ) what I see in Allen !!

1-I love his passion / competitiveness 

2- I love the way he tries to get the whole team motivated , that shows me that he’s a leader , obviously  he still has a lot learn but that was to be expected in his rookie year , 

Me personally I’m very optimistic about Allen I truly believe that with a little more playing time , and some more weapons around him he can a real good NFL QB ,  as far as Barkley goes i think he’s a good backup and I hope we can keep him , 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

So far, Allen is performing like TT version 2.   Low passing yards, running the ball....been there done that.  Until Allen starts putting up 300 yard games, I am not a believer.  Until he does that, we will not know if he can be a modern franchise QB.

Josh can’t catch the ball for himself.  Some of the things holding him under 200 yards passing are simply dropped balls and untimely penalties on the OL.  

I do like McDermott, but he has to let Allen throw more.  I’d much rather watch Allen air it out than McCoy dance around trying to find nonexistent holes to run through.  Use the pass to set up the run. 

Finally, his best WRs are Robert Foster, Zay Jones and Isaiah McKenzie.   I actually have been impressed with them lately and think we can build something with those guys, but they are still young WRs without much experience. 

He’s not TT 2.0 because Taylor was a vet and Allen is a rookie.  A rookie who shows a lot of signs that he will easily surpass the level of TT 2.0, at the very least. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 10

9 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

The only difference is that TT been in the NFL for what  ( 7 years now ?? ) and IMO has reached his ceiling years ago , Allen is still learning the offense in his ROOKIE year !!!!

• Like (+1) 4

Great Post!

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Josh can’t catch the ball for himself.  Some of the things holding him under 200 yards passing are simply dropped balls and untimely penalties on the OL.  

I do like McDermott, but he has to let Allen throw more.  I’d much rather watch Allen air it out than McCoy dance around trying to find nonexistent holes to run through.  Use the pass to set up the run. 

Finally, his best WRs are Robert Foster, Zay Jones and Isaiah McKenzie.   I actually have been impressed with them lately and think we can build something with those guys, but they are still young WRs without much experience. 

He’s not TT 2.0 because Taylor was a vet and Allen is a rookie.  A rookie who shows a lot of signs that he will easily surpass the level of TT 2.0, at the very least. 

Sorry, great post!

Sure there is still a long way to go before we truly know what the Bills QB situation is but how can you not be optimistic?

Yesterday, Allen showed us why some scouts felt he had the highest upside of ANY of the rookie QB's.  Does he have a lot to work on? Absolutely but that's what makes this exciting for me.  The kid has proven to be a quick study and the things he needs to do better at can and will be learned.  The intangibles, stuff that is hard or impossible to learn, like his leadership skills& physical tools, have already been demonstrated this year. 

And for the record, Allen could very well have a couple of bad games in the following 5 weeks.  That comes with a rookie QB but the overall trajectory is clearly up. 

And as an added bonus we probably have found our backup QB for the next couple of years.  this is no small thing.  It seems to me that we've completely turned it around the last couple of weeks going from the abject misery of our rookie QB out with injury and Peterman /Anderson as the only options at QB.  It's actually a startling turn around IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly, I thought Allen had a great game throwing the ball.  The stats don't really show it, but I think he was pretty accurate for the most part.  My favorite throw (besides the TD to Foster) was the one where they had 3rd and 16 and he threw a rocket to the receiver who was 15 yards down the field.  The play was called back, I think, because of an offensive line penalty (Bodine-hands to the face?).  

The other really good throw that he didn't get credit for was the deep one to Deonte Thompson.  Great throw, catchable ball, DT just couldn't come down with it.  Hopefully the two of them get more on the same page in the coming weeks.  

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Well there were a lot of drop balls and penalties that took almost 100 yards, but he will get there. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

If he puts up 300 yard games with this receiving group it would be quite the accomplishment.  

• Like (+1) 2

Everyone keeps saying "it's too early to tell..."

Josh Allen is good and is worth what we paid to get him.

It's not too early to tell that Josh Allen:

- has elite athletic ability that goes beyond his arm strength - his overall athleticism was underplayed because all anyone saw was the cannon arm - it is much better than many pundits realized.

- loves football the way you would want your franchise QB to love it.

- connects with his teammates and the fans

- does not have the fundamental accuracy issues that many claimed he did. He needs to grow in experience, touch, timing, but that is different than basic inaccuracy.

He is probably 20% as good as he is going to be. It's too early to tell what his exact upside is, although personally I think it is in the stratosphere. But he is giving the team a chance to win with a mediocre supporting cast as a rookie. They are 3-2 in his starts, 1-4 without him, and the result of the Texans game is probably 50/50 had he stayed healthy.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I'm happier now with Barkley and Anderson on the roster!   These guys are both better backups and better mentors for Allen than Nate.

Allen remains a question mark.  He can make all the throws a NFL QB is supposed to make  - but can he make them on a consistent basis?    Can he read coverages as well as he should?  Can he learn to make quicker decisions?   Can he develop a better sense of when to slide in the pocket and when to tuck and run?  

I'm hopeful but not yet convinced.  

• Like (+1) 1