LeVeon Bell: What better fit for him than Buffalo?

50 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

We rode McCoy to the playoffs and LeVeon Bell is a better RB than Shady. Shady's career is winding down now, need to move on. Dump everyone but Marcus Murphy, sign Bell, draft another midround RB. 

I don't want to draft an RB high ever, but if from what I'm hearing about out CAP money this off-season, I don't see much harm in a 3-4 year deal we can pull off to give JA the best safety blanket money can buy while making sure we have money to re-sign these studs we've acquired from defense when the time comes.

I mean.. Bell is a Saint compared to Shady, and he's only been selfish during a contract dispute. On the field he's nothing but an absolute pro. I don't see the primadonna in him. Not a huge issue with the contract situation this year, Bell simply wanted FA and his team held the rights to not allow that. Steelers lockerroom is more an indictment of Tomlin more than anything.. the man is bad maintaining teamwork in that lockerroom and he himself made passive aggressive comments along with the Steelers. What RB in his right mind considers rejoining the team after what his O Line of all units among others have been passively trashing him all season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

hope he doesn't come into our division.  If he signs somewhere and looks like Gurley is he worth it?  People love to say you can find rb's everywhere but the truth is it's just a crapshoot as any other position. 

The elite RBs are absolute lynchpins for their offenses. We saw it in Shady don't understand how we've forgotten the reason our offense had any success just a year or 2 ago.. let alone when we had prime Bills version Shady when we initially got him.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

Let's say we finish 8-8, Allen plays great to finish the season. Buffalo looks like a team that is going to compete for a long time. We would suddenly become an attractive destination for many FAs. We also have a ton of cap space to work with and our offense lacks a playmaker. Why not Bell? Give him what he wants, Buffalo now has the best RB in the NFL. Build that OL in the draft and free agency. Buffalo adds a guy that regularly puts up 2,000 all purpose yards a season. Hopefully Zay and Foster continue to develop alongside Allen and I  could definitely see us making a playoff push. Bell gets a 4 year deal, his contract would be up around the same time Josh Allen's is, so no conflict there. Definitely think offense would not be a problem anymore.

OR he goes to GB where he has Rogers to keep teams from loading the box against him AND he has a chance to win another SB immediately! 

OR

stick it to the Steelers and sign with the Ravens just to knock off your former team twice a year. 

Also Bell isn’t the best RB in football that is Gurley.

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

Packers rarely ever go after free agents. Jets suck. Colts I don't know enough to comment on.

They did sign Graham this offseason, and this could also change if Green Bay overhauls its front office/coaching staff as people seem to expect.

• Like (+1) 1

I am 100% for this.  The Bills have a ton of cap space.  Take a look at the Bills biggest needs, O line and WR.  Take a look at the available free agent linemen and recievers - it is awful.  You could get Bell for probably 19 million a year (or less).  McCoy cap savings (approx 6 mil), if cut, and getting Bell would give stability to the position for at least the next 3 or so years.  What else are they going to do with the cap space they so desperately worked for.  If there were other free agents in positions of  need I would be all for it, but the list is pathetic. 

P.S.  he is also very good out of the back field.  A true dual threat.

Edited by davspo
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Signing Bell isn't my preferred route, but I would understand if Buffalo recognizes their need for weapons and signs what appears to be the best weapon available. Depending on how they structure the contract, I think I'd be okay with biting the bullet on him. I'm not sure I like his fit behind this lackluster OLine though.

I'd probably prefer to just draft someone/maybe pair the rookie with a young guy that they sign in free agency ala Tevin Coleman, Alex Collins, or Malcolm Brown.

• Like (+1) 1

Just to add I did an analysis in January before their first free agency on where Carolina spent money and draft capital during Beane McDermott's period there. One of the findings was that they had a significant investment on the running back position compared to the rest of the league (2 first round picks - Stewart and McCaffrey and two big contract extensions - Williams and Stewart).

I'm not saying that this means they will spend on the position in Buffalo, but it wouldn't surprise me.

• Like (+1) 1

There are not many top talents in the FA pool.  Instead of overpaying for potential inwould over pay for a guy who is elite. I would give him a big 3 year deal.  3 years 40 mil.  Trade McCoy for cap savings and pick up a player or mid rd pick in return.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Players of Bell's caliber do not become available often. 

If the Bills are serious about surrounding Allen with premier talent, then you have to go after him. 

Between Allen and Bell, I think we'd have a top 5 run offense. And once again Bell would easily give Allen 1,000 more yards passing guaranteed. Bell's career average for receiving yards combined with Allen's average passing ypg this season would be about 200 yards a game or 3,267 yards per season. 100 easy completions, his accuracy % would up considerably. And lots of yards for 1 yard throws for easy first downs and easy yards. 3,200 yards would be Allen's bottom.

Doesn't strike me as much of a "process" team guy, but hey, McBeane may surprise us all yet! He also happens to play a position that is undervalued in today's NFL, and we should be able to keep finding good enough (cheap) RB talent through the draft process just fine, especially when we have so many other needs to fill, IMHO.