Sport Science: Josh Allen has the strongest arm in NFL History---74 MPH Velocity

Big Turk

John Brenkus from Sports Science said they had to double, triple and quadruple check it because they thought something was wrong when it registered 74 MPH leaving his hand...said it was so stunning they couldn't believe it...said without any doubt in his mind he has the strongest arm in NFL History...

https://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/football/john-brenkus-of-espn-s-sport-science-analyzes-josh-allen/article_dfd31bdd-f0d7-5a2f-8811-4f3a22c661c1.html

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

74 mph doesn't mean a darn thing when you have to convert a 3rd and 7 to keep drives alive. And I don't just mean running for first downs.

If Allen can channel that, then the sky's the limit.

he converted two 3rd and longs yesterday that were called back, he's doing fine. 

• Like (+1) 20
  • Thank you (+1) 6

All things considered you want a guy with good arm strength but at some point it does not really matter.  There are probably like 100 traits a QB has to have to be good, arm strength is one.    We can find the guy who can bench press the most weight and plays DT.  Does that make him a franchise DT?

90% of the time he won't even need all that juice, but in situations like that bomb to Foster yesterday where he was being brought down by 3 defenders and with just a flick of his wrist he connects on a 75 yard bomb, it certainly helps. He needs to work on touch and finesse more than anything though and his completion % will go up.

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

74 mph doesn't mean a darn thing when you have to convert a 3rd and 7 to keep drives alive. And I don't just mean running for first downs.

If Allen can channel that, then the sky's the limit.

He did that.  And then converted 3rd and 15.  Unfortunately we had penalties. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Doc said:

What's equally impressive is his foot speed.  As I mentioned in another thread, he hit 20 MPH on his 45-yard run yesterday. 

Where did you get this info, he ran a 4.75 at his 40 time, the equates to 16.8 mph, now you are saying he hit 20 in full football gear holding onto a football?

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

7 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Where did you get this info, he ran a 4.75 at his 40 time, the equates to 16.8 mph, now you are saying he hit 20 in full football gear holding onto a football?

At the stadium during the games, they show MPH for playmakers on the plays they make.

They also have them here.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Good lord!...Josh Allen...Steve Austin...last name begins with 'A'.  Coincidence?  I don't think so!  ?

1 minute ago, PolishDave said:

At the stadium during the games, they show MPH for playmakers on the plays they make.

They also have them here.

Somebody call 'Myth Busters', STAT!

14 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

In week 3 against the Vikings he hit 20.6 MPH.  I remarked at the time that that was amazing considering he ran just a 4.75 40-yard.  I went back and looked at his runs during the Combine and it appeared to me that he wasn't running all-out.

• Like (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, Doc said:

What's equally impressive is his foot speed.  As I mentioned in another thread, he hit 20 MPH on his 45-yard run yesterday. 

Yeah and 20.6 MPH in the Minnesota game...I actually made a thread about this because its stunning to see him basically have the same game speed as Lamar Jackson and Robert Foster, 2 guys who ran a 4.34 and 4.41 40...in comparison the fastest I could find for Tyrod was 18.8 MPH...

30 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yes, next gen stats tracks this...see my thrrad on it...its fairly obvious he is running much faster than a 4.75 40 just by watching him pull away from LBs who run high 4.5s and low 4.6s

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Yeah and 20.6 MPH in the Minnesota game...I actually made a thread about this because its stunning to see him basically have the same game speed as Lamar Jackson and Robert Foster, 2 guys who ran a 4.34 and 4.41 40...in comparison the fastest I could find for Tyrod was 18.8 MPH...

Yes, next gen stats tracks this...see my thrrad on it...its fairly obvious he is running much faster than a 4.75 40 just by watching him pull away from LBs who run high 4.5s and low 4.6s

Well upon further thought,  40 times are misleading, you have to get up to speed and Allen is a big guy, takes a while to get the big body in motion but once it starts he is fast, what helps is his long legs, he is deceptively fast, he runs faster than it looks.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Well upon further thought,  40 times are misleading, you have to get up to speed and Allen is a big guy, takes a while to get the big body in motion but once it starts he is fast, what helps is his long legs, he is deceptively fast, he runs faster than it looks.

Thats the thing tho...his acceleration is what might be even more impressive. He hit 20.6 MPH on a 10 yard run...thats not a lot of time to get up to that speed.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

90% of the time he won't even need all that juice, but in situations like that bomb to Foster yesterday where he was being brought down by 3 defenders and with just a flick of his wrist he connects on a 75 yard bomb, it certainly helps. He needs to work on touch and finesse more than anything though and his completion % will go up.

This.

I really don’t understand those who are saying velocity doesn’t matter. I’m gonna send you all the recently released NFL Films presentation; Nathan Peterman’s NFL Career passes. 

Yes, the 75 yard TD strike with 3 behemoths crushing him is velocity. Can it be further developed and smoothed out? Of course - and it’s far more likely than developing a power arm. This was the 21 year old’s 7th game situation. His arm isn’t the only attribute he’s oozing strength from. He’s tough as nails, FAST and loves competing. 

Count me among the impressed and with big expectations.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4