Allen's play today

Dadonkadonk

Full disclosure I wanted Allen over every other QB (Rosen second) and posted such before the draft.

I thought Allen played well but not great today.

Positives: Stood tall in the pocket and kept his eyes downfield.  Did not put the ball in harms way.  Threw the ball away when that was the right play.  Made several athletic plays.  Managed the huddle and clock well.  Energy and enthusiasm was great again.  The TD throw was great but the two first downs called back were just as good.  Solid professional throws.  Same goes for the simple out pattern for a first down on third down deep in Bills territory.  Excellent read and throw.  That is a pick-six with Peterman at QB, maybe Barkely too.   

Negatives:  For as many times as he stood tall in the pocket, he also looked jittery too.  The Jags front is good and the Bills OL is awful so it is to be a bit expected.  First game back too.  Hope to see more calm feet over the next few games.  Timing on sideline throws was off.  I don't know if that is WR or QB.  Allen looked like he was putting the ball at the down marker and the WR was running a step or two beyond the marker.  Needs to slide or run out of bounds more.  I wonder if there were some dump offs he missed on some plays where he ran or threw the ball away.  I didn't see a single check down all day.  It was mostly 1 or 2 reads and then panic/run.  

I still think Allen is the best of the 2018 class especially given the OL and WR he has.  They should have let him go play action on first and goal late in the game.  Let the kid throw for a TD.  The running is fine but he needs to keep developing as a passer.  He has all the tools and just needs more game experience.  

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Full disclosure I wanted Allen over every other QB (Rosen second) and posted such before the draft.

Positives: Stood tall in the pocket and kept his eyes downfield.  Did not put the ball in harms way.  Threw the ball away when that was the right play.  Made several athletic plays.  Managed the huddle and clock well.  Energy and enthusiasm was great again.  The TD throw was great but the two first downs called back were just as good.  Solid professional throws.  Same goes for the simple out pattern for a first down on third down deep in Bills territory.  Excellent read and throw.  That is a pick-six with Peterman at QB, maybe Barkely too.   

Negatives:  For as many times as he stood tall in the pocket, he also looked jittery too.  The Jags front is good and the Bills OL is awful so it is to be a bit expected.  First game back too.  Hope to see more calm feet over the next few games.  Timing on sideline throws was off.  I don't know if that is WR or QB.  Allen looked like he was putting the ball at the down marker and the WR was running a step or two beyond the marker.  Needs to slide or run out of bounds more.  I wonder if there were some dump offs he missed on some plays where he ran or threw the ball away.  I didn't see a single check down all day.  It was mostly 1 or 2 reads and then panic/run.  

I still think Allen is the best of the 2018 class especially given the OL and WR he has.  They should have let him go play action on first and goal late in the game.  Let the kid throw for a TD.  The running is fine but he needs to keep developing as a passer.  He has all the tools and just needs more game experience.  

thats fair Josh definitely missed a few throws due to inaccuracy and im sure once the all 22 comes out well see he left a few plays on the field..but highly encouraging nonetheless the biggest difference for me today was that he was just ripping it..in the houston game prior to the injury he was double clutching throws and hesitant to pull the trigger..he just needs to clean up and hell be just fine

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

His comp % would probably be a lot better if he could find his checkdowns quickly. That was something the more experienced Barkley was easily able to do.

Allen's completion percentage probably will not be that good as long as he is throwing the ball downfield so much as those are lower percentage throws.

Allen had the highest air yards of any QB in the past 3 years in today's game...his intermediate and short game needs work.

Edited by matter2003

34 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Full disclosure I wanted Allen over every other QB (Rosen second) and posted such before the draft

Well, Mayfield is easily the best right now, but he should be as he was considered to be the most NFL-ready.  But there is a good case to be made that Allen has shown more than Darnold and Rosen. Rosen's line has been atrocious, but he does have David Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald ...

EDIT: I seem to be forgetting Lamar Jackson, who has certainly looked like he may make an impact even though he (like Allen) is very raw ...

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Standing by my predraft Roethlisberger comp. TD to Foster was the definition of cool under pressure.

I couldn't believe he got the ball off when I saw the play.  He looked like he was swallowed up then the ball launched out.  Good play not just by him but also by foster.  

• Like (+1) 1

I am not a fan of all the unnecessary hits he’s taking running, with that said it’s nice he’s making teams gameplan for his running game cause in the future that is going to open a whole new game passing for him. 

On the elite throws/plays he’s making it looks like he has the potential to be a top 5/10 quarterback in this league which I think we can all agree we would be more than pleased with. With that said he does look very raw and I think Barkley showed us the way Daboll wants the gameplan to run where as Allen shows us what pure talent and athleticism can do. I feel like some others once the all 22 is out we will see he misses a lot of reads and open receivers. Which is to be expected. 

I was skeptical of all the quarterbacks drafted, and even if I’m flamed for it I actually think Mayfield is already at peak level. I don’t think he gets any better than what he is, and that’s a serviceable maybe top 20 kinda quarterback. Allen has the potential to be elite in this league on an Aaron Rodgers level, and I am very encouraged by his progression so far. Don’t care who it is, but next year I want to see him with a go to guy... A Julio Jones type you can throw to no matter what and he’ll make a play for you, give him that and I think we will see a giant leap forward next season. 

He may not get rookie of the year, but other than Barkley on the giants there’s zero doubt Allen is the most exciting rookie in the league to watch play 

9 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Standing by my predraft Roethlisberger comp. TD to Foster was the definition of cool under pressure.

That is one of the most impressive throws I've ever seen.  He was crunched by 2 Jags almost immediately after the release....meaning he knew it was coming and still had the gonads to still stand tall and make the deep throw.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Agreed , McDermott still doesn't have a grasp to what he is doing at QB.  He should be putting Josh in line to get as many meaningful  reps as possible.  The red zone at the end of the game was ridiculous.  First off he's just back from a injury and you go using him like Tim Tebow at the goal line  Just hand it to Ivory if you are to chicken ***** to let him throw in the red zone

10 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Allen reminds me so much of Kaepernick...fast as hell with a rocket arm...unfortunately, not efficient enough to sustain many drives...if the Bills are going anywhere in the future, this kid needs to get MUCH better than he is.

His 40 yard run yesterday brought back memories of Kaepernick's 90 yard TD run a few years ago against the Chargers. For a second I thought Allen was going all the way to the endzone.

Allen looked 100% better in this game than he did before his injury.  This seems strange to say, but I think that perhaps Allen's elbow injury was a good thing in that he was forced to take time to sit and watch the game -- and film --- after having actually played in some games, and that seems to have paid some immediate dividends.  Before his injury, Allen was playing terribly -- he reminded me of JP Losman early in the 2005 season before he was replaced by Kelly Holcomb when he clearly wasn't ready to be the starter and had no idea what he was doing.  Yesterday, Allen played significantly played better and looked much more like a competent NFL QB.  That's a big step forward IMO. 

I think Allen needed some time off to sit and watch how experienced QBs play the game, but he wouldn't have gotten that if he hadn't been hurt, which probably would have been detrimental to his development.  Sitting and watching how vets play the game interspersed with actual playing time is a proven model for developing young NFL players, which is why it's so common in developing most players but which is seldom employed with young QBs. 

His flaws certainly look very manageable to work with.  He’ll get better as time goes getting to his checkdown sooner.  

Hopefully this coming offseason they need up the OL and get some more weapons.  I think that will help him tremendously.  

Edited by CaptnCoke11