A Few Thoughts about the Jags Game, In no particular order

Virgil

Penalties friggin pi$$ed the hell outta me.

That was absolutely a safety.

Felt like a roller coaster.

Completely agree about Milano and getting a jersey... I think he's one of 3 potential All-pros we have on this team on defense along with White and Hughes.

And are we really just going to disregard the Goonies quote here?

Tom-Cruise-What.gif

Edited by transplantbillsfan

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Excellent breakdown as usual. This was my favorite game of the season bar none. I was happy to see us shut Ramsey up. No matter how good you are as a player you should never be giving your opponent free bulletin board material. As we saw in this game that kind of thing matters.

Jacksonville looked like a team that could contend for a Super Bowl if they had even average QB play. If they had average QB play today we might have been blown out of the water. But I'll take it. I just want to see Allen develop this season and considering how he played I wasn't going to be disappointed regardless of the final score. Admittedly after the fight I was very invested in seeing us win and I'n happy we pulled it out.

With regards to the part I quoted, McDermott said in his post-game presser he will not discipline Shaq Lawson for the fight because he wants his players to defend themselves. I think the whole choir boy narrative is overblown. McDermott doesn't want perfect human beings, he just wants players that are committed to the team. He walked away from the fight with blood on his clothes. I don't think he's upset with anyone on the team about how that played out.

7 hours ago, Virgil said:

I missed the post game. I passed out listening to it.  That’s good to hear. I think that goes a long way with the players 

Actually I believe it was defend each other. Great post as always @Virgil

My biggest takeaway from this game is that Allen has shown enough big play ability now to keep defenses "honest" when playing the Bills.  Before yesterday it was too easy to play 7-8 in the box and take away the short stuff.  No longer.  Allen is challenging defenses down the field and will only get better with more playing time.  I know the stat line through the air was not "pretty" but this is the sort of game film that will have DCs concerned going forward.

Really love the development of Foster; I had written him off after preseason but the kid appears to have learned a lot and is a true game-breaker.

Also, game ball to Daboll.  Dude is impressing me with his game plans and play-calling lately.

• Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Penalties friggin pi$$ed the hell outta me.

Yeah, seemed like just about every time the Bills made a big play, a penalty was called.  I expected one on Allen’s long run.

If I was at that game I ‘d been yelling at the refs frequently.  Let them play. Game was about 3.5 hours. CBS kept talking about the postgame show but by the time the game ended, it was time for the 2nd game.

Of course, isn’t this typical for a Walt Coleman crew?

Great writeup as always, Virgil. 

The thing that struck me the most about yesterday’s game was how emotional the entire stadium was. I mean, yes, we’re the Bills. EVERY game is emotional, but this one was dialed up a bit more than usual. 

The scene with Fournette and Shaq on their own sidelines, both having just been ejected, both heading to the tunnel at the same time, staring each other down, was like something out of an old western movie. THAT was the moment both the Bills, and the entire stadium, turned things up to 11.

To see our boys make that goal line stand AND for the Jags to muff a chip shot FG was poetic. 

I was very proud of our team yesterday, and our fans. Even more than usual. 

• Like (+1) 1

I thought this was Allen's best game. Some of his throws were incredible. That pass to Foster was a laser he had a few others that just made you go "Whoa"

He runs well, his teammates seem to love him. Hes always fired up and hes got a cannon. I think he has a legit chance to be an excellent QB. I'm very excited for the future

15 hours ago, Virgil said:

Again, not sure what made the difference out there today, but I was glad to see Fournette leave the game.

and you could see him really fire up the team.  You can tell the guys were rallying with him which is as important to me for a QB as anything. 

Great post as always!

To me, I loved what I saw yesterday, but I know that I'll always be yearning for those "convincing" victories where you aren't left wondering certain pieces. One of those for me was Fournette. While his first half success was equally due to the OL, the entire first half of the game we asked our safeties to make the tackles on Fournette who consistently getting to the second level at that point, with momentum, or was given the ball in the flat and consistently gouged us for gains. We turned it around more in the second half, but there was a noticeable difference in Jax's running attack when he left the game. It makes me wonder what might have happened had he stayed in the game. Not trying to discount our W here, but in terms of seeing a "convincing victory" it's a big unknown to me and wish I had seen what our top defense is capable of in a close game where they really need to step up and prevent them from scoring. They stepped up in the circumstances provided and certainly got help from penalties there, as did they on us. But for a supposedly top defense in the league, I wanted to see them be tested more in a close game that we haven't been in all season outside of Tennessee and Houston. That to me is a greater marker of evaluation than any other game.

As to Allen, couldn't agree more. The one piece keeping me on the optimistic side of how he may pan out is exactly that - his ability to lead and rally a team behind him. Watching this game I saw more of a confident passer on certain downs, and was thrilled to see those flashes. What I couldn't help but think watching him yesterday was if this could be Allen's '89 Dolphins game. While Allen didn't have to lead us through a comeback against a dan marino squad, and certainly isn't the same prospect Kelly was at that point, I was hoping this would be his version of the '89 game that would help make everyone rally behind him. Firstly, with the offense and team, but also the fans - giving them enough to say "he's our guy." His rushing TD was very reminiscent of those circumstances as well. But while the victory yesterday wasn't a carry Allen off the field moment, I do think it was a huge step in the right direction for the kid, to a similar effect like that of the '89 phish game for Kelly. The biggest thing that we need to see from Allen now though? Consistency...

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1

I don't think the 12th man on the field was Crossman's mistake.  Here's what I think happened:

I think Yarbrough starts on the punt return team.   At least I'm guessing that.   Yarbrough got dinged about five minutes before on some defensive play.   Looked like he might have a concussion.  They took him off the field and into the tent.  They did whatever they do and decided he was okay.   While he's off the field, Crossman knows he's down a player on the punt return team, so he tells the backup for Yarbrough's spot to be ready.  Jags get to fourth down, and the Bills send the punt receiving team onto the field, with the sub in for Yarbrough.   Someplace right around this time the docs tell Yarbrough he's good to go.  He comes out of the tent, and sees the punt return team on the field.  He knows that's his assignment, he's able to play, so he runs onto the field late.   He doesn't know, doesn't have any way to know, really, that Crossman's already substituted for him.   So Yarbrough heads out onto the field, someone realizes the problem, he turns around to get off, but it's too late.  

It's essentially a detail that got missed.  Someone needed to be on the sideline telling Yarbrough that he's out until someone sends him in.   

I think it's just one of those things that happen in games.  

16 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't think the 12th man on the field was Crossman's mistake.  Here's what I think happened:

I think Yarbrough starts on the punt return team.   At least I'm guessing that.   Yarbrough got dinged about five minutes before on some defensive play.   Looked like he might have a concussion.  They took him off the field and into the tent.  They did whatever they do and decided he was okay.   While he's off the field, Crossman knows he's down a player on the punt return team, so he tells the backup for Yarbrough's spot to be ready.  Jags get to fourth down, and the Bills send the punt receiving team onto the field, with the sub in for Yarbrough.   Someplace right around this time the docs tell Yarbrough he's good to go.  He comes out of the tent, and sees the punt return team on the field.  He knows that's his assignment, he's able to play, so he runs onto the field late.   He doesn't know, doesn't have any way to know, really, that Crossman's already substituted for him.   So Yarbrough heads out onto the field, someone realizes the problem, he turns around to get off, but it's too late.  

It's essentially a detail that got missed.  Someone needed to be on the sideline telling Yarbrough that he's out until someone sends him in.   

I think it's just one of those things that happen in games.  

Isn't that on the coordinator or assistants to tell him that though? Obviously no one here can speak from NFL sideline experience, but the ST Coordinator is there to coordinate ST personnel, or at least have assistant coaches to do so. To me, if that was the case, was Crossman seen yelling at Yarbrough to get back off the field? Or any assistants? I honestly didn't see, and haven't been able to find a replay, but if not it's quite the head-scratcher.

Obviously communication breaks down at times, but even so they are entirely preventable situations with good coordination and communication. Not sure how much the medical tent had to do with it either, but I can see both sides. Bottom line is though, Crossman is the ST Coordinator and needed to coordinate that exchange more effectively.

Edited by ctk232

1 hour ago, ctk232 said:

Isn't that on the coordinator or assistants to tell him that though? Obviously no one here can speak from NFL sideline experience, but the ST Coordinator is there to coordinate ST personnel, or at least have assistant coaches to do so. To me, if that was the case, was Crossman seen yelling at Yarbrough to get back off the field? Or any assistants? I honestly didn't see, and haven't been able to find a replay, but if not it's quite the head-scratcher.

What I want to know is why they didnt just call a timeout

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ctk232 said:

Obviously communication breaks down at times, but even so they are entirely preventable situations with good coordination and communication. Not sure how much the medical tent had to do with it either, but I can see both sides. Bottom line is though, Crossman is the ST Coordinator and needed to coordinate that exchange more effectively.

No matter what, if Crossman is paying attention, I don’t think this happens.  He has so few plays on the field he’s responsible for....

• Like (+1) 1