Rate the rookie QB's

RPbillsfan

Mayfield is clear and away #1.  He is the only one who looks like he could be a surefire star week in and week out for the most part.  Darnold has had a few good games but soem really bad ones as well.  Rosen has been mostly bad. Jackson hasn't been good either in his 2 starts, but they have him rushing a lot.  

Allen probably would be 2nd, but Darnold deserves to be above Jackson as he has actually had a few good game as a QB whereas Jackson has pretty much sucked both games at being a QB.

Allen is a work in progress but he is really a threat with his legs in ways the other QB's are not...that needs to be factored in somewhere which is why I am giving Allen the nod over Darnold. Allen is for the most part better at protecting the ball than Darnold who is very loosey goosey with it.

4 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

Now that we are through 11 games and 5 rookie quarterbacks are or have started let's rate from worst to first.

5th - Josh Rosen

4th - Sam Darnold

3rd - Lamar Jackson

2nd - Josh Allen

1st - Baker Mayfield

Love to read everyone's opinions

I think that this is exactly right at this point.

6 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

Now that we are through 11 games and 5 rookie quarterbacks are or have started let's rate from worst to first.

5th - Josh Rosen

4th - Sam Darnold

3rd - Lamar Jackson

2nd - Josh Allen

1st - Baker Mayfield

I agree with your order.

9 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

5th - Josh Rosen

4th - Sam Darnold

3rd - Lamar Jackson

2nd - Josh Allen

1st - Baker Mayfield

bang on so far 

14 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Mayfield is clear and away #1.  He is the only one who looks like he could be a surefire star week in and week out for the most part.  Darnold has had a few good games but soem really bad ones as well.  Rosen has been mostly bad. Jackson hasn't been good either in his 2 starts, but they have him rushing a lot.  

Allen probably would be 2nd, but Darnold deserves to be above Jackson as he has actually had a few good game as a QB whereas Jackson has pretty much sucked both games at being a QB.

Allen is a work in progress but he is really a threat with his legs in ways the other QB's are not...that needs to be factored in somewhere which is why I am giving Allen the nod over Darnold. Allen is for the most part better at protecting the ball than Darnold who is very loosey goosey with it.

While I agree Mayfield is the best to date, I just think he may have the lowest ceiling. One of these types that once defenses see him some more, there may be little improvement after year two or so??  Alot of his game in college was improvising on broken plays, eventually defense will figure that out.

9 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

While I agree Mayfield is the best to date, I just think he may have the lowest ceiling. One of these types that once defenses see him some more, there may be little improvement after year two or so??  Alot of his game in college was improvising on broken plays, eventually defense will figure that out.

I dunno man...defenses would have already started doing that I think...that usually happens after about 4 games, which is why rookies seem to start strong and then struggle their first years usually(see Wentz).  Mayfield has gone 72 for 88 for 771 yards with 9 TDs and 1 INT in his last 3 games.  In other words, he is completing over 81% of his passes in his last 3 games with a passer rating of 132.5, getting better not worse since he started playing.  

Pretty sure that isn't a low ceiling but if it is, feel free to sign me up for it. Forget an 80% completion rate, I'd take a 60% for Allen at this point.

Edited by matter2003
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think your rankings are about right. I wouldn't include Jackson yet because he's only had 2 games. I see it as Mayfield in tier 1, Darnold and Allen in tier 2 with a slight edge to Allen, and Rosen in tier 3. Mayfield and Allen are the only two rookies that I've seen make "wow" throws.

I would say Mayfield is clearly #1. 

Allen would be my clear #2 if he had played more up to this point. We have not seen much but hard to have anyone over him besides Bake. 

Darnold and Rosen I have very close, it's hard for me to put one over the other.

Finally, Lamar is creeping up for me, he has flashes but he's clearly behind the rest of the bunch at this point. 

Edited by Elite Poster
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

5. Jackson

4. Rosen

3. Darnold

2. Allen

1. Mayfield

Yup...I will elaborate on my thoughts..

5. Jackson- Run first quarterbacks fail at almost a 100% clip. Don't think he can develop as a passer. Who knows.....

4. Rosen- Rosen is making things worse as he develops. Not showing progression. Committing a lot of turnovers.  Who knows.....

3. Darnold- Looked the part for a glimpse only to flutter. Committing a lot of turnovers. Who knows....

2. Allen- Threat with arms or legs make him productive as he develops. Who knows...Clearly more gifted than any of them

1. Mayfield- Star?

In sum, Rosen, Darnold, and Allen clearly will not show instant game changing returns. If you had to pick from the 3 on who you want long term I have to think it's Allen based on the same reasons we took him in the draft. His athletic abillity, arm strength, and build are a rare combination. Not to mention, in theory, he should be the guy that has the most upside to learn given his background.  

Edited by KzooMike

Mayfield is the next Brees. There's nothing to figure out with his game, the guy throws with amazing accuracy. I honestly didn't think his game would transfer to the NFL level because of the division he played in, team he played for etc. but I think the Browns have a good one finally. Battle for Erie in the AFC Championship in a couple years?

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

1. Baker

2. Allen

3. Darnold

4. Jackson

5. Rosen (has not been overly impressive despite all the weapons he has).  

Blame this on a coach that doesn't know how to utilize his weapons. What's David Johnson done all year? I'll just say Jeff Fisher and Sean McVay; a coach is everything. I'll let you figure the rest out.