Edmunds...he deserves some love too

Hebert19

Edmonds did not have a good game yesterday and his play probably contributed to the Bills getting gashed up the middle in the 2nd quarter.  But with that being said he is playing the "QB" position of the defense and he is a rookie.  IMO we should be excited about the guys potential going forward.  He's shown flashes of being a dominating LB and considering how young he is even for a rookie, Edmonds is going to be a stud at MLB for years to come. 

43 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is where I’m at with Edmunds. I am very excited about what the future may hold but at the present time he struggles against the run. He plays on his toes and gets caught up in traffic. He reminds me of an outfielder that always takes the first ste in. Often they can recover with elite athleticism (which he has) but better technique and discipline will be crucial to taking the next step.

I still feel like they will get value out of the Edmunds pick but the fact that he is so uninstinctive in the middle of the field is definitely a legit concern.    That step you are talking about is the difference between great and replacement level.

It's not just the run game.......he's not feeling it in pass defense either........which is the difference between making plays on the football and just making a tackle.    I expected him to EAT in this defense.........more hands on passes.........maybe even a pick-six by now.  

If the Panthers made Keuchly available for a second round pick this offseason(and this is the Panthers chance to get out before his base salaries get big) I think McD would have a hard time saying no.    

It's easy to envision Edmunds matching up outside and taking away TE's that power offenses like KC and NE or rushing the passer etc......very interesting matchup piece.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

This is not even close to accurate.    Keutchly was on every running backs ass since day 1 

None of the linebackers looked anything like Keutchly when Fournette was busting them up 

I can link articles of Kooch's rookie year where this was discussed by the Carolina media if you like....

Kooch was better sooner....but it was still talked about

On 11/25/2018 at 5:44 PM, thenorthremembers said:

Agree here.  Just 1st half was pretty brutal.  Milano had a rough 1st half as well.

as did Poyer with Fournette. I am sure they learned some things Sunday : )

49 mad that great play stopping the first down on the screen. He was l1st down marker aware , and then used his leverage to keep himself and the player from first down !
Each game he looks a bit more dialed in imho.

not bad in the redzone either !
Love the Kid. got some jawing going too : )

This kid is the real deal. He is as raw a LB as Allen is a QB. The fact that he is only 20! is like giving him 2 years to learn and grow into the job. He’s smart, he’s going to learn from the mistakes he’s currently making. The more he plays the more he will stop thinking and start feeling what’s going on. I’ll never understand why it seems so many Bills fans, who I think are on the more football intelligent side than the average fan, expect a linear progression of improvement from players. I’ll start looking for specific improvements next year after he’s got one under the belt. I really think this kid is going to be special for us for a decade or more. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed, and it is a good point you make about some people being incremental learners and some not. I have just been talking about corners in another thread and AJ Bouye was a classic light bulb guy. It took him until his 4th year though.... the Bills better hope Edmunds gets it quicker than that. 

I do not quite agree with you guys, and thats OK ; )
I think he learns from his mistakes and is settling in.
He does over pursue a gap or pick the wrong leverage or shoulder to get to the ball in the run game. I would like to see him back another yard. His burst is almost too fast and he needs to keep his head up longer.

as i said, love the Kid.

Milano is a fine asset and ball hawk, but closer to a box safety still. Fast a heck and good hitter but gets moved around when lineman get second level hunting : )
 what with the Stanford(sp)Julian (sp) ??  kid? Some where in between the two types ? seems like a good mix and match of LBs with Alexander playing above and beyond his age

26 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Edmonds did not have a good game yesterday and his play probably contributed to the Bills getting gashed up the middle in the 2nd quarter.  But with that being said he is playing the "QB" position of the defense and he is a rookie.  IMO we should be excited about the guys potential going forward.  He's shown flashes of being a dominating LB and considering how young he is even for a rookie, Edmonds is going to be a stud at MLB for years to come. 

What's worrisome was his lack of aggressiveness for a MLB. People are pointing out he's got the athleticism but not the "instincts".. Avoiding contact is not an instinct you get over, so I hope he's simply learning when and where to be on the field and not shying from contact on plays.

It was just one game and I've seen him play more aggressively, but he did NOT want a piece of Fournette last week.

2 hours ago, wppete said:

The NFL is a passing league now, just look at the stats. #49 is the perfect MLB for the NFL right now and for the foreseeable future.

He needs to lean more about the NFL game and schemes and also has to get strong and nastier. The future is bright for this Defense. 

fair point.

and mentioning moving him ? If they found another LB'r who  was better for between the tackles ? I guess he would adapt and succeed. But not sure if you move the Defensive QB after entrusting him with all McD has so soon no really a nice and pleasant way to back off that commitment is there ?.

You build around him perhaps..
 For his errors ? He is doing many things better and more naturally. Give him an offseason another camp. I envision a pretty high ceiling with this "Kid"

: )