Allen now 3-2 in games he started & finished with arguably the worse supporting cast in nfl

JerseyBills

COuld have just as easily been around 60%. A couple drops. A couple of HUGE third down completions called back. And a lot of deep throws. I am a big stats guy, but i think anybody not obsessed by it is going to see way more good than bad. 

the debbie downers are definitely the minority today. most people get it. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

I don't think anyone's pissed. People just want better than 8 completed passes.

Fortunately we didn't need to go pass heavy and Allen made great decisions when it came to taking off and running , so it's going to decrease his attempts. Who cares if he completes 5 passes and wins, Better than 25 completions and a loss. 

He got us up 14 early,, then put up 10 unanswered in the 4th to ice the game. He had 2 udfa rookies at wr , one of which he never played with (McKenzie). So I'd say Allen had a helluva game, considering that defense and the fact it was his 6th start after missing several weeks. Kids a gamer ..

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

All QBs make these bad throws over the course of a game even the very good ones......just saying.

You're right they do. I think Josh still has a much higher rate of bad throws per attempt than other QBs though. The coaches don't seem to trust him yet either. We don't throw in the red zone. But he's still young , and he made a number of brilliant, star-like plays today. This felt a lot like the Vikings game. Hats off to him. 

Edited by VW82

5 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Say whatever you want about the kid, but he's a gamer and you can tell he wants to win, BAD. He brings this amazing energy to the offense as a whole and showed huge improvements in his game today. The stats don't tell the whole story in the pass game, he looked much more poised , aware and accurate against the 4th ranked pass D and ran all over them as well. 

The best stat in his young career is he is 3-2 in games he started and finished. All with a below average ol and arguably the worse WR Corp.. He's likely 4-2 imo, if he doesn't get hurt vs Hou. But that injury seems to be a blessing in disguise,as he needed that time to be coached up n work on his difficiencies. 

We're going to be legit contenders next year and beyond, love the way this team has been built , they'll have a TON of flexibility to build  around him , and improve the ol in the upcoming off season. The future looks brighter than it has looked in a LONGGGGGG time!!!

This is the logic used to defend Tyrod.  People don't want to hear it unless they've already made up their mind

Just now, VW82 said:

You're right they do. I think Josh still has a much higher rate of bad throws per attempt than other QBs though. The coaches don't seem to trust him yet either. We don't throw in the red zone. But he's still young , and he made a number of brilliant, star-like plays today. Hats off to him. 

probably true. they definitely don't completely trust him. they go uber conservative every time they get a lead. Run, run. pass on 3rd and long. another completion % killer. 

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

This is the logic used to defend Tyrod.  People don't want to hear it unless they've already made up their mind

the difference between tyrod and him is that he can make some huge throws that tyrod doesn't have the ability to. It is so nice to have a qb that can throw to any part of the field now. 

23 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I'm kinda lost with your response. Can u elaborate?!? 

23 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

probably true. they definitely don't completely trust him. they go uber conservative every time they get a lead. Run, run. pass on 3rd and long. another completion % killer. 

the difference between tyrod and him is that he can make some huge throws that tyrod doesn't have the ability to. It is so nice to have a qb that can throw to any part of the field now. 

And WILLING to throw! Tentative Tyrod was scared $#!tless to sling the rock. 

Oh and Allens 6th start he rushed for more yards in a game by 25 yards than Tyrod did in 3 seasons!

5 hours ago, GoodHands15 said:

I’d like to know what his stats would have been if not for the few drops he had/called back on penalties.

He threw a couple off balance darts that were right on the money

I was cool with how Josh played today.

But every QB has drops and plays called back. Everyone’s stats would look better if you factored that in. 

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

He had a missed screen that he threw into the dirt. That was really it.  

Everything else was a miscommunication (you could see him and the WR discussing after the play) or a desperation throw/Hail Mary.  

His best throws, aside from the TD, were probably the two conscecutive 3rd down conversions that were called back.  

Here's my hot take: if I'm thinking of the pass you are, I think Allen deliberately threw it into the ground. Ramsey was about three feet from the receiver (McKenzie?), who would have gotten pulverized if he caught it. 

48 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Here were his bad throws: behind Zay over the middle on the first series

That ball was tipped at the line and still hit Zay in the hands. For some reason our receivers cannot ever make a tough catch in tight coverage, the same catches I see other NFL offenses make multiple times a week. Only in Buffalo is a ball that is tipped and hits the receiver in the hands called inaccurate. In other cities it is called a 1st down or just bad luck. We need to draft a tough receiver with good hands next year. Zay might eventually make a decent #2 but all the best offenses in the NFL right now have a true #1.

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That ball was tipped at the line and still hit Zay in the hands. For some reason our receivers cannot ever make a tough catch in tight coverage, the same catches I see other NFL offenses make multiple times a week. Only in Buffalo is a ball that is tipped and hits the receiver in the hands called inaccurate. In other cities it is called a 1st down or just bad luck. We need to draft a tough receiver with good hands next year. Zay might eventually make a decent #2 but all the best offenses in the NFL right now have a true #1.

Week in and week out I see big name AND no name wr’s make contested catches for their qb’s. “Area code” catches rewarding their qb for trusting them.  It consistently happens every week all around the nfl..... and then there’s buffalo. 

In those other games the qb’s are routinely praised for “trusting” their wr’s and letting them make a play. But in buffalo, when the wr inevitably drops it, it’s just an inaccurate throw and knock against the qb for not hitting every pass in stride.....Very frustrating 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, VW82 said:

You're right they do. I think Josh still has a much higher rate of bad throws per attempt than other QBs though. The coaches don't seem to trust him yet either. We don't throw in the red zone. But he's still young , and he made a number of brilliant, star-like plays today. This felt a lot like the Vikings game. Hats off to him. 

I agree with this

WHile Deboll get running Allen on designed runs at the goal line in the second half (one of them getting bent over badly and im holding my breath) I kept thinking "just give him max protection and let him sling it for an attempt at the touchdown.....stop RUNNING him......he already had over 100 yards rushing at that point

4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Week in and week out I see big name AND no name wr’s make contested catches for their qb’s. “Area code” catches rewarding their qb for trusting them.  It consistently happens every week all around the nfl..... and then there’s buffalo. 

Very frustrating 

Yeah the classic Randy Moss hug a CB while making the catch has become a regular staple of NFL offenses. It isn't even that big a deal anymore. Robert Foster, amazingly, has had the best catches of the year so far. Everyone else needs the ball to hit them right in the hands with at least a full yard of separation or else there is no chance they'll catch the ball. IMO it's the biggest thing this offense is lacking on a regular basis, even more so than good blocking.

Edited by HappyDays

5 hours ago, Skins Malone said:

What passes showed u his accuracy is awful?  Honest question.  Obviously Allen didnt throw for 300 yards with 4 TDs but I thought he was actually pretty accurate today

With good offense's Pats, Saints, Steelers. You need a QB to throw. Don't go after people saying need to play better. Higher goal means that. 

But good game today

36 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm kinda lost with your response. Can u elaborate?!? 

Tyrod got us to the playoffs with crap stats and same offensive support, but was run out of town.  I agree that he needed to move on, but the argument didn't help

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

Hes obviously not but nobody is exactly going out of their way to help him.  

Pass Pro is decent - I’ll concede that

However:

Zero run game.  

Constant penalties negating big throws

WRs not on the same page as Allen

Deonte Thompson not hauling in that 30 yard dart pretty much sums up the help he has right now.  

When you’re 3 biggest weapons are a rookie UDFA WR, a second year WR and a recently claimed off waivers WR....his supporting cast is basically the complete opposite of Mahomes.  

There is reason to be optimistic -  the team has a good supply of draft picks and money to spend. An upgrade at center and overhaul of the right side of the line - that way the pocket isn't getting pushed into Josh's lap, less outside rush getting around our right tackle, and some real push from RG to open a few run lanes on that side then who knows what a steady run game could open up?

A good receiver prospect and another TE if we're shopping, and as much as folks are high on Star, we give up far too many runs up the middle. Kyle has (and still is) a load rushing the QB, but he gets turned outside on runs...we could use another run stuffing DT that can keep our LBs clean when they come up to fill.

Perhaps I am a bit hard on our d-line and I would have to watch more of those long runs, but on at least some of them I feel our LB's were slow to recognize run - particularly Edmunds from his Mike position. Milano is also a bit on the small side for LB (closer to having an extra safety at 6.0' 223) so he gets into trouble if he gets locked up with TE's and O-Line who get to the secondary clean (folks kept wondering why Milano was not on the field all the time earlier in the year - it was probably the coaches trying to rotate a bigger body in there on what they thought were going to be runs).

I have to remind myself with Edmunds that he is really young and he will only get better, but recognizing runs and coming up to fill is an area of his game he will need to work on. His speed, size, and natural athleticism are already evident in the way he covers shallow routes, TE's, and how quickly he can change direction, recover, and close in and tackle when needed.

Edited by WideNine
clarify statement

Yeah, this is friggin impressive.

We're 1-5 in games he didn't.

We would likely be holding a Wildcard spot if McDermott just named him the starter in Training Camp like he should have.

I hope Kyle and Lorax come back for one more year to complete the turnaround.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

40 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

With good offense's Pats, Saints, Steelers. You need a QB to throw. Don't go after people saying need to play better. Higher goal means that. 

But good game today

No one was going after people.  We were talking about his accuracy.  That's why I said honest question but ok.