1st half thread, Jags at Bills 1 pm on CBS

26CornerBlitz

Just now, familykwi said:

I chime in as a ref from time to time and I'm a bit bothered by the TD call.

I was talking about this tendency with other officials last night.  I feel that officials have replay to bail them out on turnovers and TDs since they are automatic reviews.  Knowing this, I think they tend to call it a TD, or a turnover thinking that it will get overturned if they are wrong.  The problem is the inconclusive aspect of review. 

If Fournette's TD cannot be conclusively overturned, then how can the official award the TD if he cannot see the ball cross the goal line?  We're taught that TDs must be earned, so no TD unless you SEE the ball cross the line.  Similarly, no turnover unless you can SEE the ball out.

I think Fournette was close, but if the line judge insists he knows that ball was over he's just lying.  There's no way he could be sure.  I think prior to reply that ball is marked short.  Now we give free TDs.

I don't like the effect this has on the game in general.

The tip of the ball broke the plane. It was a TD. They made the right call

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, familykwi said:

I chime in as a ref from time to time and I'm a bit bothered by the TD call.

I was talking about this tendency with other officials last night.  I feel that officials have replay to bail them out on turnovers and TDs since they are automatic reviews.  Knowing this, I think they tend to call it a TD, or a turnover thinking that it will get overturned if they are wrong.  The problem is the inconclusive aspect of review. 

If Fournette's TD cannot be conclusively overturned, then how can the official award the TD if he cannot see the ball cross the goal line?  We're taught that TDs must be earned, so no TD unless you SEE the ball cross the line.  Similarly, no turnover unless you can SEE the ball out.

I think Fournette was close, but if the line judge insists he knows that ball was over he's just lying.  There's no way he could be sure.  I think prior to reply that ball is marked short.  Now we give free TDs.

I don't like the effect this has on the game in general.

Sure, but what makes you think Fournette wouldn’t just bang it in on the next play? He’s getting 15 yard chunks 

• Like (+1) 1