Canned crowd noise

stuvian

10 hours ago, stuvian said:

with the decline in fan attendance at games, it is becoming increasingly apparent that teams are piping in fake crowd noise. From my TV watching, the worst culprit looks to be the Arizona Cardinals. Half of the fans attending wear the opposing teams jersey. The crowd noise really looks artificial when half the fans are looking at their phones or are otherwise not engaged in the game. Are there other obvious culprits out there?

Could be the TV carrier doing it.

1 minute ago, dhuenniger said:

was at Indy game and the music was so loud right up to us going to the line of scrimmage. I cant believe everyone even heard the play call. Live crowd noise was embarrassingly quiet. And the gay streamers and confetti when they scored.

Loud music at stadiums is the worst part of attending any sporting event.  Just stupid, pointless and annoying and it only appeals to idiots.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, stuvian said:

with the decline in fan attendance at games, it is becoming increasingly apparent that teams are piping in fake crowd noise. From my TV watching, the worst culprit looks to be the Arizona Cardinals. Half of the fans attending wear the opposing teams jersey. The crowd noise really looks artificial when half the fans are looking at their phones or are otherwise not engaged in the game. Are there other obvious culprits out there?

Maybe a laugh track and applause are to follow?

16 hours ago, stuvian said:

You do realize some fans are louder than others, some opposing fans are more wild than others, more people doesn't always = louder stadium, and that your view from watching on TV doesn't always reflect volume at the stadium right? 

I used to go to games at Jones AT&T Stadium in Lubbock to watch Texas Tech before they added the visitor side suites & upper bowl seats. Capacity was 40,000 tops, yet the place was louder than most 70,000 capacity places hosting NFL games I had been to. 

Also, attendance is doing great this year, so don't know where you got that idea...just check out any of the actual sites that compile all that data - https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/attendance.htm  or  http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance  

Hell, the last Cardinals game was against the Raiders, and they had 62,435 people check into that game (capacity is 65,000). Playing in an indoor stadium makes a TON of difference as you should know. I was recently at the Houston vs Bills game, and though the stadium wasn't packed by any means, it was WAAAAY louder than any Bills game I've attended in Buffalo. The acoustics of those places are awesome, and really give the home team an advantage. I can only imagine how loud & crazy it would sound if the Bills played indoors, as our fans are certainly ready to scream their heads off.

8 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Maybe a laugh track and applause are to follow?

no laugh track needed at Bills games. It's football follies every week

8 hours ago, BigDingus said:

You do realize some fans are louder than others, some opposing fans are more wild than others, more people doesn't always = louder stadium, and that your view from watching on TV doesn't always reflect volume at the stadium right? 

I used to go to games at Jones AT&T Stadium in Lubbock to watch Texas Tech before they added the visitor side suites & upper bowl seats. Capacity was 40,000 tops, yet the place was louder than most 70,000 capacity places hosting NFL games I had been to. 

Also, attendance is doing great this year, so don't know where you got that idea...just check out any of the actual sites that compile all that data - https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/attendance.htm  or  http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance  

Hell, the last Cardinals game was against the Raiders, and they had 62,435 people check into that game (capacity is 65,000). Playing in an indoor stadium makes a TON of difference as you should know. I was recently at the Houston vs Bills game, and though the stadium wasn't packed by any means, it was WAAAAY louder than any Bills game I've attended in Buffalo. The acoustics of those places are awesome, and really give the home team an advantage. I can only imagine how loud & crazy it would sound if the Bills played indoors, as our fans are certainly ready to scream their heads off.

I don't care what the stats say. You see the empty seats on TV

I spoke with someone who attended a game in Seattle, when the topic of crowd noise came up his response was "it's different. It's fricken loud, but there's Something weird about it."

Basically said either the design amplified it or it was speakers. He said at times the sound seemed to be coming from above or behind

16 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

So in other words they pumped in crowd noise.

I was thinking the same thing.  If a signal is being amplified and played back, does it really matter if the source is a few seconds earlier in the same stadium, or a previous recording?

It might make it more difficult to detect and punish if it's the same day, a few seconds earlier, but John Urschel and his kindred could still sort it, I bet

13 hours ago, dhuenniger said:

was at Indy game and the music was so loud right up to us going to the line of scrimmage. I cant believe everyone even heard the play call. Live crowd noise was embarrassingly quiet. And the gay streamers and confetti when they scored.

What, exactly, made the streamers and confetti gay, and how were you able to relate with them so well?

14 hours ago, dhuenniger said:

was at Indy game and the music was so loud right up to us going to the line of scrimmage. I cant believe everyone even heard the play call. Live crowd noise was embarrassingly quiet.

This is exactly how it was at the Jags/Bills playoff game last year. I hadn't been to a Jags home game in a few years, and I don't remember them doing that back then, but it was totally God Awful, and seemed right on the line of being unfair as they kept the music going as the Bills broke huddle, and often it didn't stop until after they were in formation for a second or two. 

And then during TV timeouts they would blast commercials. The only time it got quieter was when the Jags were on offense, although there were so many Bills fans there, it wasn't quiet.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/23/2018 at 9:07 AM, NoSaint said:

I’d argue hard to judge crowd noise in tv. Some well placed mics, or a shift in the mix by the station can sway the perception greatly 

I've watched enough WWE to notice it, and it's truly painful when you hear it. Crowd tonality isn't very clean. Fake crowd noise ascends and descends too neatly (or just stops incredibly abruptly).

17 minutes ago, dhuenniger said:

Gay as in festive is correct didn't feel like a football game more like when they scored they had to shoot off streamers and confetti to get there fans attention.

No need to defend something not worth defending to someone just looking to virtue signal.