Which Ex Bill Takes The Fall For The Jags Disappointing Year?

25 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

People just know this? 

They'll be back next year for sure, but full 5 years after a year and a half of bad to mediocre football with numerous blow outs? 

Next year is big for them. More of what we've seen this year, specifically the historically inept offense and they'll be gone after next season or even during the season. 

I will bet you anything that these two see year 5 of their contracts.  Terry wasn’t going to give McDermott that much power only to get rid of him midway through his deal.  Both guys are getting all 5 years.  From there, the jury is out.  

It's funny, before the season I said the jags would regress this year and I got blasted by some members for saying that. I never thought they were THAT good last year. They played in a crappy division. They had a great defense, but just like our bills, when you don't have the offense you fail. Yes they put up some good numbers in the playoffs and almost beat the Patriots, but any given Sunday right. They need a qb as bad as we do

4 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Theres a difference with each teams “misfortunes.”  Read above.

Also this thread Hardy is gloating, but pointing out there likely will be some changes with some former Bills

Its because your original comments come across to others far differently than whatever you imagine they say in your head. 

D.) ALL of the Above

Marrone/Hackett manlove is a destructive force, much like the McPeterman bonding. Hackett can not hack it. He's always had a bad offense. The closest they came to any success was when Fournette was rolling over people and they had a good trio of WR's.  Now it's back to Bortles and he is a bottom 10 QB.  

Marcell plays great in motivated spurts. Unfortunately that dominance lasts about a week and then he's the lazy fat ass waste of roster space we all came to despise. JAX is discovering the real DairyAss this year. 

Caldwell, as much as we may love him, the mistakes outlined above hold true. He needs to draft well next year QB/WR and Jax could be back on top. I give Caldwell a pass until after 2019. The rest are guilty as charged by the OP.

1 hour ago, BillsRdue said:

D.) ALL of the Above

Marrone/Hackett manlove is a destructive force, much like the McPeterman bonding. Hackett can not hack it. He's always had a bad offense. The closest they came to any success was when Fournette was rolling over people and they had a good trio of WR's.  Now it's back to Bortles and he is a bottom 10 QB.  

Marcell plays great in motivated spurts. Unfortunately that dominance lasts about a week and then he's the lazy fat ass waste of roster space we all came to despise. JAX is discovering the real DairyAss this year. 

Caldwell, as much as we may love him, the mistakes outlined above hold true. He needs to draft well next year QB/WR and Jax could be back on top. I give Caldwell a pass until after 2019. The rest are guilty as charged by the OP.

Why does Caldwell get a pass though?

1.) He hitched his wagon to Blake Bortles which included drafting him high, sticking by his selection, resigning him to an extension, and passing up other opportunities to draft a QB.

2.) His management of the salary cap put the team in a bad position to address their true needs on offense (QB, OL, WR).  They are very heavy on defense thanks to the huge contracts they gave out, including Dareus.  Because of that, they’ll be $15M over the cap and will need to start breaking up a great defense.  

3.) He’s missed on very high draft picks like Dante Fowler and decided to draft a RB at #4, passing up other needs.  

Also take a look look at the team’s record since Caldwell has been GM.  Sorry but I don’t see why he gets a pass.

1 hour ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Its because your original comments come across to others far differently than whatever you imagine they say in your head. 

... or it’s just how you’re reading it

13 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Part of his problem was cap management.  He gave up big contracts on defense the previous year and with adding Marcell’s phat deal, he didn’t have the cap space to go after any of the top FA quarterbacks.  Also Jacksonville was drafting too far down to get one of the top QB’s this year (outside of Lamar).

His hand was essentially forced with Bortles, though I guess he could have tried to work a trade.  Again though, he didn’t have the money to take on a QB contract.  

I understand that line of thinking but releasing Bortles (along with Hurns and Ivory) saved them 30 million in cap space in which they could've either made a run at Cousins or at least got a lateral transfer at worse (Bridgewater, Keenum) for less money.  Now they're stuck with Bortles for another season because of the extension (it would be dumb to cut him with the massive cap hit) even if they do draft a QB.  After four years you pretty much should've known what you were getting with Bortles and it wasn't good enough.

17 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Well by many on this board's logic, 1 playoff year apparently should buy you at least 3 extra years no matter what happens or what direction the franchise seems to be going. So I guess they should all stay. 

I dont get the ¨no matter what´ part of your statement...do you think our DST stinks as much as the Jags? I get the offense seems equally incompetent to ours, despite Fournette factor on their side, but...your forcing the cross-read her, IMHO