Your Thanksgiving Day traditions

Ridgewaycynic2013

For years I would run the 5 mile foot race in Buffalo.  Some years race, other years run, most years shuffle.  Back in the 80s, I would beat feet home in order to watch the Harvard Cup championship game (Buffalo Public H.S.) on Channel 17, which by halftime on a natural grass field was often a mud bowl.  The afternoon was dinner at my parents, before they retired to Florida.  All good memories. Do you have traditions for this holiday?

Richest of blessings and enjoyment to all partaking in Thanksgiving today, be grateful for all the good things you have and hope to build.

I miss the mid-80s tradition of skipping off the day in high school and watching football at friends homes where they didn’t mind drinking

• Like (+1) 1

We are heading to Palm Springs. We had been doing Thanksgiving for years with freimds. We didn’t do it often when we lived in the Bay Area (2009-2016) but started it up again last year. It’s a blast. My friend is hilarious. He used to do stand up in LA with guys like Jerry Seinfeld, Sam Kinison and Howie Mandel. Has wonderful stories. He said no one ever wanted to go on after Sam. He’s said the whole audience would be home by the time he finished. 

58 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

We are heading to Palm Springs. We had been doing Thanksgiving for years with freimds. We didn’t do it often when we lived in the Bay Area (2009-2016) but started it up again last year. It’s a blast. My friend is hilarious. He used to do stand up in LA with guys like Jerry Seinfeld, Sam Kinison and Howie Mandel. Has wonderful stories. He said no one ever wanted to go on after Sam. He’s said the whole audience would be home by the time he finished. 

Sam is missed in so many ways.

1 minute ago, sherpa said:

We always get a cabin in the Blue Ridge. My three kids, their spouses and our new granddaughter.

Wood fires,  hot tub, hiking trails accessible from Skyline Drive.

Do it every year.

That sounds awesome!! Where ya be? Has to be a might be chilly up there right now. 

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

That sounds awesome!! Where ya be? Has to be a might be chilly up there right now. 

Just outside Rileyville, VA.

About the 3000' level on a ridge, so full view of the Shenandoah Valley and great view of the river.

We do something like this every year.

Each kid gets to name their own food assignment, of course I do the turkey, and it works out great.

All arrived late Tuesday.

• Like (+1) 1

Hot tubbing in freezing cold makes it all the better.  

Blue Ridge in MD or VA will be cold.  NC should be better.  

My Thanksgiving tradition is telling people to 

GET STUFFED!!

Happy Thanksgiving ? everyone!

Rileyville, VA is about 50 miles from where I live.  

All of you posting above me seem to have fun things to do.  

For me, most holidays involve going to my bickering in-laws and sitting around in a crowded small house without enough comfortable furniture while trying not to get annoyed.  The food is always late, but my mother in law is a good cook, which is the only consolation. 

My kids have grown up hating holidays. My wife doesn’t get it.  It all seems normal to her. 

13 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

For me, most holidays involve going to my bickering in-laws and sitting around in a crowded small house without enough comfortable furniture while trying not to get annoyed.  The food is always late, but my mother in law is a good cook, which is the only consolation. 

My kids have grown up hating holidays. My wife doesn’t get it.  It all seems normal to her. 

yup

25 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

This is Christmas Day for us.  We always go to my mother in law’s for dinner and presents, and then spend the night.  After my father in law passed in 2010 things have really gotten worse with my wife’s family.  She has 2 worthless, low-life sisters and their kids are all rotten little brats.  My one brother in law is a HUGE jerk, and is rude to everyone except for me and my wife (he knows better).  It is just miserable, but we just grin, choke down the food, and try to make the best of things.

I am most thankful this Thanksgiving for being home, alone with my wife and 2 kids.  Lots of delicious food and drink.  Zero stress and football on TV.  Everyone happy and healthy.  Loving life right now.  Cheers, TBD.

• Sad 1