Charles Clay - back in 2019?

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, MTLBills said:

Bills need a run blocking TE with upside as a receiver to aid in the run game. Not the other way around. 

I think that guy is Maxx Williams, and I think he will be cheap. He's just 24 years old, turns 25 in April. Baltimore's Nick Boyle is interesting as well. I also like Jesse James who got buried a bit behind Vance McDonald. 

I say we we get one of the Ravens and James, the former Penn Stater. 

Another guy who is sitting out there right now is Troy Niklas and I really don't understand why he is on the couch. He has athletic upside as both a blocker and receiver. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I like Chuck Clay but his injuries are always an issue. Seemed like he would usually play on Sundays whether he practiced a lot or not but looks like he might miss another game. He’s a Whaley guy... think he’s gone?

Another over paid free agent mistake.  Never made a difference.  

Gone in my opinion. 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more useless everyday 8 mill dollar a year player.  During his tenure, he’s never had adequate backups to compete with and still never finds a way to make an impact.  Seems like a nice guy though 

Tight end is a position that has seen an increase in importance lately. Big, strong, always open because of his size. Can block if necessary. A safe space for millennial quarterbacks. Clay doesn’t really have the impact of a really good tight end, and he is never 100% healthy. He seems like a good guy. I would keep him for leadership if his cap hit is manageable, but if there is any concern with money, I’d cut him and save the money. 

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

......agree.....take the dead cap and fill the roster spot with some healthy production............

Potential Out: 2019, 4 yr, $33,500,000; $4,500,000 dead cap

I think he's a good player....usually gets open but just not enough production

3 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

How about Nick Oleary...who found a job in Miami pretty d.. quick!

Nick O'Leary is the same as Jason Croom. That isn't a solution. There is a TE coming out of Alabama this year, projected to go in the 2nd or 3rd round. Just for the familiarity with Daboll I could see us drafting him.

3 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

trade clay for nothing to avoid cap/dead cap hit, and sign Jesse James.  James and Croom should make a nice pair, esp. for a young QB. 

There's no financial difference between trading Clay and releasing him. Also, pre-6/1 and post-6/1 makes no difference either.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree 100%. He was never worth the contract the Bills signed him to which, at the time of the Bills taking up the option at the start of his second year which converted salary into guaranteed bonus cash spread out for cap purposes, was the highest % guaranteed money for anyone in the league that wasn't a Quarterback on a rookie deal. But his play has declined in a big way this year. It costs the Bills $4.5m dead money to get out after this season, but it costs them an extra $4.5m to keep a player who seems unable to contribute any longer on the team. It is the same as my Trent Murphy argument. To cut him and Clay is a combined $8m in dead cap on the 2019 books. To pay them both though is a combined $17.5m..... you better be sure that you are getting some value and contributions for that extra $9.5m.

Somebody gets it.