Charles Clay - back in 2019?

YoloinOhio

15 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I knew he was Nicklaus' grandson, but noticed a contributor had thrown Nicholson into the mix, whether accidentally or intentionally.  I picked it up and continue to run with it since I don't know when 'enough' is 'too much'.

Make sure it's one of those fancy 'Jim Beam' collector decanters...

....we already OVERPAID once, right?....got snookered by the Fins....tried to dry up their cap space figuring they would match.....and we lost..............

20 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I like Chuck Clay but his injuries are always an issue. Seemed like he would usually play on Sundays whether he practiced a lot or not but looks like he might miss another game. He’s a Whaley guy... think he’s gone?

I think they can improve the position. and should. 
Clay has value , but he did not live up to the Whaley contract by any stretch of the imagination. I cannot fault Clay specifically. i like him. he gets open and can move the chains.
He has value

But it might disappoint him what that # now is.
I would keep him. if he accepted a reasonable new contract and his legs(knees) are up for another season or two. ( i think they may not be though )

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

That's kind of like taking a pitcher out after he's given up 5 runs through 2 innings.

At this point, I'd prefer they ride it out. I think he's a little underrated around these parts because we gave up too much to get him.

there is a definite bias always running as an undercurrent here. Folks act like it is their money and the financial advisor screwed them ha ha.
Bad contract in different era, Whaley desperate to get weapons for EJM was the cause for some poor decision making

But Clay has been a decent target when on the field. and obviously been playing in pain for a couple seasons.

Need to develop some youth to overtake his role sooner than later though

11 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Clay has a cap hit of 4.5 million if cut. So the question is, is Charles Clay worth 4.5 million? I think considering that Clay is still a decent player and the high cost to replace him even with an average player is far above 4.5 million its likely the team will keep Clay and draft a tight end behind him to groom to take over the position in 2020. Personally I could go either way on Clay, I think at 4.5 million he is serviceable but if they decide to move on I won't be too upset.

Without doubt he is not worth $9m. Therefore I would pay him the $4.5m I am on the hook for anyway (which has actually already been paid in cash terms) and keep the other $4.5m in my pocket.

Charles Clay is no longer NFL starter level and he won't be signed as a starter anywhere else. 

On 11/20/2018 at 9:53 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

His contract was so front loaded that he isn't making much next year. And I believe the dead cap and cap hit are the same. So it makes sense to just keep him. I like Maxx Williams and Jack Doyle in free agency. Tyler Krof and Jesse James are interesting as well. 

TE clearly a place where all that cap space will be spent, among others.   Looking forward to the FA period.  Gonna be some talent coming in.  Get your popcorn and..... Trust the Process. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/20/2018 at 8:40 PM, YoloinOhio said:

I like Chuck Clay but his injuries are always an issue. Seemed like he would usually play on Sundays whether he practiced a lot or not but looks like he might miss another game. He’s a Whaley guy... think he’s gone?

He’s never played at a high level.  I would think he could be replaced.

18 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

There's no financial difference between trading Clay and releasing him. Also, pre-6/1 and post-6/1 makes no difference either.

When I pay for a product, I want it to work!

Clay has been broken for years.  Is it too hard to ask for 3-5 catches per game and a few blocks for the 16 games?

• Like (+1) 1

Everyone is so quick to throw Clay out with the trash.

People, we don't have a QB or offensive line playing well at the moment. You can not start to pin those issues on a receiver until those issues are resolved. 

When Allen has time, and the run/pass game starts to scare defenses, everything changes...

Edited by George C

2 minutes ago, George C said:

Everyone is so quick to throw Clay out with the trash.

People, we don't have a QB or offensive line playing well at the moment. You can not start to pin those issues on a receiver until those issues are resolved. 

When Allen has time, and the run/pass game starts to scare defenses, everything changes...

Clay is the bag that holds the trash!

On 11/20/2018 at 9:40 PM, YoloinOhio said:

The biggest false messiah since Bledsoe.  Let him go and don't look back.

• Like (+1) 1

He's so ineffective. We need a bigger, more durable TE. Clay is too small and injured too much.plus, he doesn't really make contested catches much, which is the whole reason to throw to a TE.

So he is essentially a big, slow, WR who gets hurt a lot.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

He’s never played at a high level.  I would think he could be replaced.

Yup, Clay sucks.  Not Tyrod, Allen, Anderson, Barkley, Peterman.  It’s Clay who sucks.

21 minutes ago, MJS said:

He's so ineffective. We need a bigger, more durable TE. Clay is too small and injured too much.plus, he doesn't really make contested catches much, which is the whole reason to throw to a TE.

So he is essentially a big, slow, WR who gets hurt a lot.

Because our qbs suck.  Wild prediction.  Clay would be good if he didn’t play with the worst qbs in the nfl.

32 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yup, Clay sucks.  Not Tyrod, Allen, Anderson, Barkley, Peterman.  It’s Clay who sucks.

Because our qbs suck.  Wild prediction.  Clay would be good if he didn’t play with the worst qbs in the nfl.

Chicken and the egg situation.  If you want to defend Clay go right ahead.

On 11/20/2018 at 6:40 PM, YoloinOhio said:

I think Croom can do a similar job to what Clay does personally.  Clay has never been a guy who I feel keeps his head in the whole game and whiffs on some plays he should make.  

I wont campaign for him to be gone, and I think he probably stays, but I have liked what I have seen from Croom in some of his limited work.  But if Clay isn’t here then I would expect we draft or sign another.   

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think Croom can do a similar job to what Clay does personally.  Clay has never been a guy who I feel keeps his head in the whole game and whiffs on some plays he should make.  

I wont campaign for him to be gone, and I think he probably stays, but I have liked what I have seen from Croom in some of his limited work.  But if Clay isn’t here then I would expect we draft or sign another.   

for a part of a game , i was wondering who the hell 80 was and why was he lining up outside? 
 He is still learning it seems.
but he is another heavier wide receiver playing TE.
bring back O'Leary ! and line him up tight !!

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

and who is behind Croom ? Logan Thomas ?
improve the position with depth, then you can sort the wheat from the chaff

On 11/20/2018 at 9:40 PM, YoloinOhio said:

he's gone, has done little here . We need a real TE , still pissed we passed on Gronk.