Charles Clay - back in 2019?

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Give me a guy that's hungry. I'd like to see Croom stick around and I hope we draft a guy in the 3rd-4th round. Clay is old, often injured and non productive and expensive at the same time. Don't care about the cap, cut him.

Karlos Williams was hungry. I think KB was in the offseason too!

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

Unlike WR, there should be some good options available at TE in free agency. It wouldn't shock me to see us pick up 2 and roll with them and Croom.

I would love to be able to pick up a high quality TE in FA like the Bears did with Trey Burton last year. Eagles already has Ertz so weren’t paying Burton. Any situations like that this year?

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...pretty sure 2019 is the first feasible year to dump him with lessened cap implications....designate him post June 1 and spread it over two years....

Next year is his last under contract so you have to take the whole hit then. $4.5M if he’s not on the team. An extra $4.5M for him to play. It’ll probably make sense to keep him while looking for (drafting) his replacement and bringing that player along, but no matter what I don’t want to see him off the team until he’s adequately replaced. 

• Like (+1) 1

His production or lack of for his price hasn't been worth it. He's been plagued by knee/hip issues. 2019 is the first year it's both financially sensible and they have an upcoming replacement in Croom. Would like to see them draft one too.

27 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would love to be able to pick up a high quality TE in FA like the Bears did with Trey Burton last year. Eagles already has Ertz so weren’t paying Burton. Any situations like that this year?

Pittsburgh has Vance McDonald and Jesse James (UFA)

Baltimore has Mark Andrews (R), Hayden Hurst (R), Maxx Williams (UFA), and Nick Boyle (UFA)

Philly has Ertz and Richard Rodgers (UFA)

Oakland has Jared Cook (UFA) and is rebuilding in general

Green Bay has Jimmy Graham and Lance Kendricks (UFA)

Detroit may not bring back Luke Wilson (UFA) as he has not been their most productive TE this year.

Cincy has Tyler Eifert (UFA) and Tyler Kroft (UFA)

Chicago has Trey Burton and Zach Miller (UFA)

TL:DR - Eff Charles Clay :lol:

Edited by BuffaloHokie13
Bolded for easy reading
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, berg1029 said:

cutting o'leary was a big mistake, imo.  he was sure handed and reliable

BAMM!!!  100% right!  i check the fins every now and then hoping he goes to the practice squad for some reason. i hope they  keep that last spot open!

Edited by billsredneck1

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I think TE is a huge underrated need for next year. I wouldn't mind taking one in the top 2 rounds, admittedly I don't know what the prospects look like this year. I would go into next season with Croom, a rookie, and bring in competition for Logan Thomas.

How about Nick Oleary...who found a job in Miami pretty d.. quick!

50 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Jessie James is there with McDonald in Pitt. 

Kroft and Eifert are both FAs in Cinci. 

I know most want us to figure out a way to get a true #1 WR, but I could see us loading up on a couple legit TEs and making them the focus of the passing game next year. 

Tyler Kroft at the right price would definitely be of interest. They are not going to pay him and Eifert and I think Kroft is as close to a dual TE who can block and run routes as you can get on that list. Him, rookie and Croom I could live with.

If Logan Thomas is on this team again next year I want everyone fired. McDermott, Beane, Pegula, the receptionist, the tea lady, the equipment guy, Ralph Wilson's statue.... all of them. He sucks. Not just a bit. A lot.

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He seems worse this year - constantly hobbled and not able or willing to fight for the few targets he gets - and has a look on his face like his body is in steep decline and he can’t understand it - it’s called aging, some athletes fall off a cliff early, he seems shot to me.  Could be wrong.

Watch out for Sternberger from Texas A&M.

Yet another overpaid disappointment of a player from the last few years. Him, Dareus, KB, have never performed at any level close to what they should have. Watching Kelce gash the Rams on MNF just shows how an effective TE can make all the difference. Clay is hurt too much and too ineffective to be paid what he has been. Just like Colonel Kurtz, Clay's career in Buffalo should be terminated "with extreme prejudice".

There has to be a better TE out there.  For someone who has been in the league so long, it always amazes me how he often appears like he's never seen a football thrown at him.  He's slow, not a great blocker, injury prone, and susceptible to drops.  Not sure why we'd want someone like this back.