Charles Clay - back in 2019?

YoloinOhio

12 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Croom is athletic but he can't catch, run routes or block and he has ball security issues. I would rather start fresh with a draft pick and FA. 

Croom isn't great by any means but he knows the system and we need 3 TEs next year.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I like Chuck Clay but his injuries are always an issue. Seemed like he would usually play on Sundays whether he practiced a lot or not but looks like he might miss another game. He’s a Whaley guy... think he’s gone?

He should be gone (and that has nothing to do with him being a "whaley guy"). He has underperformed when he has been on the field. We need a more reliable and available TE as blocker/outlet for Allen. 

2 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

He should be gone (and that has nothing to do with him being a "whaley guy"). He has underperformed when he has been on the field. We need a more reliable and available TE as blocker/outlet for Allen. 

Not so much that Whaley signed him but that he’s part of the old regime, and may not necessarily fit this new scheme. He really was brought in for Roman’s offense. He’s more of an Hback/TE.  I think he and Rex wanted to use him like Delanie Walker. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Not so much that Whaley signed him but that he’s part of the old regime, and may not necessarily fit this new scheme. He really was brought in for Roman’s offense. He’s more of an Hback/TE. 

If he was deemed to not be a fit, he would be long gone. This regime doesnt keep players around even if there is no good replacement. The fact that he has been here for two years since McD got here is testament to that thought. He hasnt done much in any role, which is why he should be gone. Get a viable replacement for him, and make sure that the new guy can block. 

7 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

A few seasons ago everyone hated on him until someoen did a study to see our average ypp with him on the field vs off. It was significant

Not only that, but he's actually been the 4th most productive TE in Bills history in terms of receptions. 5th most in terms of yardage. And he'll easily be 2nd in both categories behind Metzelaars if he stays next year.

The bottom line is that he's a decent player worth keeping when healthy. Key words, of course, are "when healthy." We would save $4.5 million by cutting him.

Edited by MichaelAbdallah
  • Like (+1) 1

I notice a lot of fans here are qualifying their remarks about Clay by saying that he is worth keeping around when/if healthy. From what has been said though is that he has a bad knee and at his age and with the wear and tear he has undergone he is "Never" going to be healthy again. Time to cut him after the season and save 4.5 million that can be used to sign his replacement in FA. Croom seems like a promising backup TE who can block and catch. Logan Thomas is also a cheap alternative backup TE who can stay but a new #1 TE should be brought in. There should be several good TE's available in FA. Time to move on...

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

His contract was so front loaded that he isn't making much next year. And I believe the dead cap and cap hit are the same. So it makes sense to just keep him. I like Maxx Williams and Jack Doyle in free agency. Tyler Krof and Jesse James are interesting as well. 

...pretty sure 2019 is the first feasible year to dump him with lessened cap implications....designate him post June 1 and spread it over two years....

He seems worse this year - constantly hobbled and not able or willing to fight for the few targets he gets - and has a look on his face like his body is in steep decline and he can’t understand it - it’s called aging, some athletes fall off a cliff early, he seems shot to me.  Could be wrong.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

58 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He seems worse this year - constantly hobbled and not able or willing to fight for the few targets he gets - and has a look on his face like his body is in steep decline and he can’t understand it - it’s called aging, some athletes fall off a cliff early, he seems shot to me.  Could be wrong.

Agree 100%. He was never worth the contract the Bills signed him to which, at the time of the Bills taking up the option at the start of his second year which converted salary into guaranteed bonus cash spread out for cap purposes, was the highest % guaranteed money for anyone in the league that wasn't a Quarterback on a rookie deal. But his play has declined in a big way this year. It costs the Bills $4.5m dead money to get out after this season, but it costs them an extra $4.5m to keep a player who seems unable to contribute any longer on the team. It is the same as my Trent Murphy argument. To cut him and Clay is a combined $8m in dead cap on the 2019 books. To pay them both though is a combined $17.5m..... you better be sure that you are getting some value and contributions for that extra $9.5m.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

His contract was so front loaded that he isn't making much next year. And I believe the dead cap and cap hit are the same. So it makes sense to just keep him. I like Maxx Williams and Jack Doyle in free agency. Tyler Krof and Jesse James are interesting as well. 

It's not about the money, it's more about poor results.  Cut bait and move on.

I’d bet he stays.. For the simple fact they don’t exactly need the money. 

Keeping him doesn’t hinder signing anyone else, he is a vet and nobody else really has any experience. With that said it would be very disappointing if they don’t add some more talent to the position to pair with him and whoever else they keep

He hasn't been a All-Pro but he has been a serviceable player, not his fault the Bills signed him to an insane contract.  That said, he has had his worst year as a Bill.

It honestly comes down to whether the Bills think someone like Jesse James is a better player than Clay at this point in his career because Clay's cap hit plus the 3-4 million it will cost to bring in another tight end will be about what Clay is slated to make next year anyways. 

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I think TE is a huge underrated need for next year. I wouldn't mind taking one in the top 2 rounds, admittedly I don't know what the prospects look like this year. I would go into next season with Croom, a rookie, and bring in competition for Logan Thomas.

Unlike WR, there should be some good options available at TE in free agency. It wouldn't shock me to see us pick up 2 and roll with them and Croom.