Charles Clay - back in 2019?

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I like Chuck Clay but his injuries are always an issue. Seemed like he would usually play on Sundays whether he practiced a lot or not but looks like he might miss another game. He’s a Whaley guy... think he’s gone?

Sure hope so. 

• Like (+1) 1

His contract was so front loaded that he isn't making much next year. And I believe the dead cap and cap hit are the same. So it makes sense to just keep him. I like Maxx Williams and Jack Doyle in free agency. Tyler Krof and Jesse James are interesting as well. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yeah, Clay's health issues really degrade his value to the team.  Logan Thomas and Jason Croom have been growing and improving as players..  I think they are still somwhat underutilized by the Bills, but I don't think the Bills have missed Clay all that much when he's been out.

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I like Chuck Clay but his injuries are always an issue. Seemed like he would usually play on Sundays whether he practiced a lot or not but looks like he might miss another game. He’s a Whaley guy... think he’s gone?

I don’t think injuries are the problem. He a high paid tight end that doesn’t produce. He has what; 5 catches this season for 100 yards? And a turnover to boot. His best years were in Miami. 

• Like (+1) 1

He's signed one more year right? So usually I'd say you hang on to whoever best at the position until you can replace them with someone better. So you'd probably hang on to him into next offseason and try to make a change at the position through FA or the draft. I mean if you're confident you can maintain or improve from him while getting something worthwhile go ahead.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I think TE is a huge underrated need for next year. I wouldn't mind taking one in the top 2 rounds, admittedly I don't know what the prospects look like this year. I would go into next season with Croom, a rookie, and bring in competition for Logan Thomas.

Yeah I think the position needs to be completely rebuilt and I would not be surprised if none of this editors guys are back. Thomas has definitely improved and I like what I saw in the Jets game. Croom is interesting, but he cannot block. The fact that a former QB blocks better, speaks volumes in my opinion. 

The thing about Clay and his alleged disappointing play is that Whaley gave huge dollars to a player already in decline. The blame should go completely on Whaley.

Clay had a big year in his 3rd year in the league in 2013 where he had over 100 targets. I believe he would occasionally line up as a FB and he got named to the NFL Network's Top 100 that year. In his 4th year his targets and catches declined - not a good sign for a 25 year old who should have been entering his prime. 

Whaley paid him huge dollars like he was an elite TE which he never was. His first three years with the Bills were almost exactly the same from a production standpoint and he toughed his way through a number of nagging injuries, but the Bills paid huge $$$ to a guy who has one season out of eight that was above league average production.

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think TE is a huge underrated need for next year. I wouldn't mind taking one in the top 2 rounds, admittedly I don't know what the prospects look like this year. I would go into next season with Croom, a rookie, and bring in competition for Logan Thomas.

Croom will stick - he is under contract and has big upside.

Thomas takes a baby step each year but never looks like more than a depth guy. The true #1 TE is not on the team.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

His contract was so front loaded that he isn't making much next year. And I believe the dead cap and cap hit are the same. So it makes sense to just keep him. I like Maxx Williams and Jack Doyle in free agency. Tyler Krof and Jesse James are interesting as well. 

Cap hit of 9m and dead money of just 4.5 so there’s a solid cap savings to cutting him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1