David Carr: Vikings Made a Mistake Paying Cousins $84M

26CornerBlitz

7 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Stafford is tied for 5th in 4th Quarter Comebacks among active QBs and everyone with more than him has at least 5 more years in the league than him. Not sure I'd call him anti-clutch.

Hes also likely to finish top 5 in yards in the history of the league.  Is he too 5?  No.  Stats can lie.  Why did he have to make comebacks.  Why does a team with a franchise elite qb never make the playoffs.  

20 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

David Carr: Vikes Made Mistake PAYING Cousins -- Plus, Updated Rankings

For the Minnesota Vikings, a 5-4-1 record feels about as disappointing as ham for Thanksgiving.

This year's up-and-down effort comes after a 2017 campaign filled with success -- a 13-3 regular-season record, NFC North title and an NFC Championship Game appearance. All of this with Case Keenumunder center, and he was playing on a one-year, $2 million deal. This offseason, the Vikings chose to let Keenum walk (to Denver) on a two-year, $36 million contract with $25 million in guarantees, and sign Kirk Cousins to a fully guaranteed three-year, $84 million contract. When comparing Keenum's production per start in Minnesota in 2017 to Cousins' starts this season, their overall performance isn't drastically different.

Keenum in 2017 (14 starts): 22 of 33 pass attempts, 243.4 passing ypg, 3:1 TD-to-INT ratio, 97.6 passer rating.
Cousins in 2018 (10 starts): 29 of 41 pass attempts, 294.7 passing ypg, 2.7:1 TD-to-INT ratio, 99.3 passer rating.

The issue is the Vikings are paying Cousins $10 million per year more than Keenum -- and committed $59 million more in guarantees -- for a drastic difference in performance. They're paying Cousins to be exceptional, and he hasn't been.

That's why I believe it was a mistake for Minnesota to pay him ALL that money.

Do you think they'd want 2018 Keenum at any price?

They have cousins on a short-term deal at relatively fair market value. The Vikes won't have time to regret the deal. It's not like they gave him a Cutler deal. He was the only QB in the league that was available that could keep their Super Bowl window open. I'm sure they would have preferred Rodgers, but you can't always get what you want.

Wouldn't be shocked at all to see the Vikes use a 1rst/2nd on a QB who ends up starting when Cousins deal is up, and that may have been the fallback all along. Even if the Jets got Cousins, they were probably taking Darnold too..

41 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Hes also likely to finish top 5 in yards in the history of the league.  Is he too 5?  No.  Stats can lie.  Why did he have to make comebacks.  Why does a team with a franchise elite qb never make the playoffs.  

Stafford is a franchise QB. He is not elite. The elite QBs in the NFL are Brady, Rodgers, Brees and arguably Big Ben. 

Maybe David just look at the disgusting contract his Brother is stealing from the Raiders before he talks about other QB deals.  I bet Raiders regret Carr contract (which was a major part of why they didn't pay Mack and instead traded him) a lot more than Vikes regret Cousins contract.  Cousins at least is playing along the lines of what hes been that got him the contract.  Carr has played worse since signing his and they lost Mack.  Double whammy.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Stafford is a franchise QB. He is not elite. The elite QBs in the NFL are Brady, Rodgers, Brees and arguably Big Ben. 

I'd take Goff or Mahomes over any of them if I was starting a franchise right now.

6 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Yea, but the flip side is those that watch keenum play don’t think he can get the lead consistently enough to be able to lose the game. 

And while he’s incredibly highly paid, in the universe of new qb contracts is it crazy that he’s similar to Carr, Stafford and garrapolo (after like a month starting)? 30m will be the new normal as elite guys get new deals 

I don't know why people always get sticker shock on QB contracts when the bar is raised to a new high any time one of the top 10 guys (or beyond the top 10 in JG's case) signs a new deal.   A couple years ago people were freaking out that Brees was tanking the Saints by asking for $25M;  now that looks like a bargain.

By the time we get to a new Mahomes deal in a couple years he might be pushing $40M/yr.

Edited by KD in CA

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I'd take Goff or Mahomes over any of them if I was starting a franchise right now.

Indeed. By performance this season it is Brees and then those two. Elite status is not earned over a single year of brilliance though. Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, Philip Rivers and Russ Wilson have had elite seasons.... the thing that elevates that band of 4 is their ability to produce year after year. That consistency an elite QB makes. 

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Nothing arguable about Roethlisberger; he’s in the club. I would also add Russell Wilson. He doesn’t put up huge numbers, but without him, that team doesn’t win 4 games a year.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/22/2018 at 3:32 PM, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Cousins is good. But I put him in Rivers or Stafford, Smith category. Below to, Brees, Brady, Rodgers. For some reason those three don't make it far in playoffs.

I agree with a Cousins to Smith comparison; but I think Rivers and Stafford are both on another level - much closer to the Brees/Brady/Rodgers tier.

Rivers and Stafford have, in my opinion, been victim to poorly coached/run teams.  Their individual stats are pretty incredible.  I don't think Cousins come close to any of them and Smith is far behind Cousins.

• Like (+1) 1

Another way to look at the question: 2 teams seemingly peaking, entering their Super Bowl competition phases.  Vikings: let's put all our eggs in the QB basket and sign the best available free agent QB, no matter what it costs.  Jags: let's double down on what got us to this point by beefing up the defense, and hope that our objectively bad QB can continue his progress toward being just good enough to take us to the next level. So far it's not working so great for the Vikings, although they're still in the hunt. So far it's working horribly for the Jags ...