David Carr: Vikings Made a Mistake Paying Cousins $84M

26CornerBlitz

David Carr: Vikes Made Mistake PAYING Cousins -- Plus, Updated Rankings

For the Minnesota Vikings, a 5-4-1 record feels about as disappointing as ham for Thanksgiving.

This year's up-and-down effort comes after a 2017 campaign filled with success -- a 13-3 regular-season record, NFC North title and an NFC Championship Game appearance. All of this with Case Keenumunder center, and he was playing on a one-year, $2 million deal. This offseason, the Vikings chose to let Keenum walk (to Denver) on a two-year, $36 million contract with $25 million in guarantees, and sign Kirk Cousins to a fully guaranteed three-year, $84 million contract. When comparing Keenum's production per start in Minnesota in 2017 to Cousins' starts this season, their overall performance isn't drastically different.

Keenum in 2017 (14 starts): 22 of 33 pass attempts, 243.4 passing ypg, 3:1 TD-to-INT ratio, 97.6 passer rating.
Cousins in 2018 (10 starts): 29 of 41 pass attempts, 294.7 passing ypg, 2.7:1 TD-to-INT ratio, 99.3 passer rating.

The issue is the Vikings are paying Cousins $10 million per year more than Keenum -- and committed $59 million more in guarantees -- for a drastic difference in performance. They're paying Cousins to be exceptional, and he hasn't been.

That's why I believe it was a mistake for Minnesota to pay him ALL that money.

1 minute ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

He’s playing just how he did in Washington.. Vikings got exactly who Kirk Cousins is and always will be.  That’s how free agency is though.. Yiu don’t overpay you don’t get the player.  

Agreed. Many here wanted the Bills to be in the Cousins sweepstakes.  I never thought it was a good idea. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Cousins is not a winner. I generally hate those kind of generalizations, but there's just been too many years of the same thing with this guy.

There's those rare guys who defy analytics either positively or negatively, and I think Cousins is one of them.

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Cousins is not a winner. I generally hate those kind of generalizations, but there's just been too many years of the same thing with this guy.

There's those rare guys who defy analytics either positively or negatively, and I think Cousins is one of them.

He did seem to be padding his stats at the end of the game with the Bills.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

He did seem to be padding his stats at the end of the game with the Bills.

He's very similar to Stat Padford.

Not a big fan of either guy. They're not terrible, but they never get it done consistently enough to be elite.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to David Carr: Vikings Made a Mistake Paying Cousins $84M
30 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

David Carr: Vikes Made Mistake PAYING Cousins -- Plus, Updated Rankings

For the Minnesota Vikings, a 5-4-1 record feels about as disappointing as ham for Thanksgiving.

This year's up-and-down effort comes after a 2017 campaign filled with success -- a 13-3 regular-season record, NFC North title and an NFC Championship Game appearance. All of this with Case Keenumunder center, and he was playing on a one-year, $2 million deal. This offseason, the Vikings chose to let Keenum walk (to Denver) on a two-year, $36 million contract with $25 million in guarantees, and sign Kirk Cousins to a fully guaranteed three-year, $84 million contract. When comparing Keenum's production per start in Minnesota in 2017 to Cousins' starts this season, their overall performance isn't drastically different.

Keenum in 2017 (14 starts): 22 of 33 pass attempts, 243.4 passing ypg, 3:1 TD-to-INT ratio, 97.6 passer rating.
Cousins in 2018 (10 starts): 29 of 41 pass attempts, 294.7 passing ypg, 2.7:1 TD-to-INT ratio, 99.3 passer rating.

The issue is the Vikings are paying Cousins $10 million per year more than Keenum -- and committed $59 million more in guarantees -- for a drastic difference in performance. They're paying Cousins to be exceptional, and he hasn't been.

That's why I believe it was a mistake for Minnesota to pay him ALL that money.

Did they pay him for drastically better play than keenums ceiling? Or because Keenum was a risk to drop off and cousins was reliably the guy that would play at or a little above keenums ceiling?

• Like (+1) 9

Just now, NoSaint said:

Did they pay him for drastically better play than keenums ceiling? Or because Keenum was a risk to drop off and cousins was reliably the guy that would play at or a little above keenums ceiling?

$28M/year says the former, but he's not the kind of player that merits the hefty price tag like the upper echelon QBs around the league. 

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I really think they thought Cousins was going to make them a Super Bowl contender and put them over the top. A lot of media people thought the same. Pat Elflein and Nick Easton's injuries have really hurt them. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I really think they thought Cousins was going to make them a Super Bowl contender and put them over the top. A lot of media people thought the same. Pat Elflein and Nick Easton's injuries have really hurt them. 

I get what your saying but they were 13-3 and in the NFCCG. They already were a contender. That’s why I was proposing the alternate framing that the goal was maintaining that status and avoiding keenum coming back to earth. That keeping that level of play or a small step up was the justification of the move.

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

$28M/year says the former, but he's not the kind of player that merits the hefty price tag like the upper echelon QBs around the league. 

Hes between Matt Ryan and garrapolo (with Stafford and Carr right behind JG) for perspective. He’s obviousky highly paid but kind of in line with the new line of deals

51 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Agreed. Many here wanted the Bills to be in the Cousins sweepstakes.  I never thought it was a good idea. 

Still could’ve worked here with have two picks in each of the first 3 rounds to surround him with skill players on the cheap, like Brees is currently doing.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

He’s playing just how he did in Washington.. Vikings got exactly who Kirk Cousins is and always will be.  That’s how free agency is though.. Yiu don’t overpay you don’t get the player.  

Like we did with Williams

23 minutes ago, ThunderGun said:

Still could’ve worked here with have two picks in each of the first 3 rounds to surround him with skill players on the cheap, like Brees is currently doing.

But I believe he had no interest in coming here.